• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2022 3:11 pm
98 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2733 posts
1427 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Drivetrain should be more reliable. The issues are more that most manufacturers are cramming (non drivetrain) tech in as fast as possible because EVs have to be “futuristic”, and companies like Tesla are new to building cars so don’t really have the fundamentals down yet.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12161 posts
2238 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I don't like this trend of cars basically becoming high end computers with wheels. Cars should be cars. The less "infotainment", the better. Average drivers have enough trouble paying attention to the road as is.
Dec 20, 2020
114 posts
118 upvotes
most of the problems seem related to creature comforts. I'm not sure the correlation of these items to actual reliability.. I think of reliability like this: if i push the on button, will my car start and drive?
If Yes: then any sort of issue is more of a small problem that can be dealt with (creature comfort)
If No: then this is a reliability problem cause last thing I want is my car not starting at -15 when I'm in 100km from home

"The most common EV problem areas were "in-car electronics, noises and leaks, power equipment, climate system, body hardware, drive system, and paint and trim," the report said."
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2657 posts
732 upvotes
board123 wrote: I don't like this trend of cars basically becoming high end computers with wheels. Cars should be cars. The less "infotainment", the better. Average drivers have enough trouble paying attention to the road as is.
hence the invent of the heads up units, lol....I am one who is looking at a cars top trim because of gadgets/tech stuff included with these. As long as people demand, they will build
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
2454 posts
1050 upvotes
i worry more about the battery than anything else. Also these EV are from new companies whom don't have experience building cars. If it's a Toyota then no discussion is needed.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 7, 2007
5270 posts
2869 upvotes
This is not news anymore, but fanboys will be fanboys...
815 posts
241 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I can see power electronics is not and gearing has to be heavy duty due to higher torque.
Otherwise its should be more reliable.
No pistons, timing belt, oil consumption etc. No transmission clutches, torque converter.
Oct 12, 2007
672 posts
374 upvotes
Vancouver
I think it was common that Tesla vehicles were not well made because they had to cut corners in production to meet the demand, at least that's what I heard and remembered. Obviously, as Possum77 pointed out, there's no moving parts, so EV, in theory, should be more reliable. If a company made an equally reliable manufactured gas car and an EV car, the EV car is automatically more reliable because of its lack of moving parts.

We should really think of EVs as just something new that needs its kinks worked out as more companies build them. I'm holding out for the SSD batteries, and hopefully that will make EVs very reliable (because they won't burst into flames).
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31251 posts
17819 upvotes
Toronto
Me too. I am waiting for Solid State as well. I guess it would be in about 4 yrs or so ?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3194 posts
1978 upvotes
Markham
It has been a few hours. I am surprise the EV mop hasn't showed up yet....
Jun 15, 2021
608 posts
510 upvotes
I can see this very true. My neighbour bought a brand new EV in 2020. Last fall I saw his EV on a flatbed. Saw he got a gaslone sedan instead. I thought it might be a loaner until a significant problem might've been worked on in the shop on his EV. Almost half a year later he still drives the same sedan. I have a feeling he might've scrapped it (dealership bought it back?) and got the sedan, but the sedan is a different make, so I have no idea what happened with his EV and how much money he lost.
BDSL wrote: It has been a few hours. I am surprise the EV mop hasn't showed up yet....
They need to charge first.
WTB amazon.ca gc @ 90%
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2015
5473 posts
3447 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
EV is "popular" because of government, rebates and this whole ESG movement.
It's not the time for EV yet.
Alterna Bank Thread
Stock Thread

TFSA Portfolio: AEM|ATD|BAM.A|BCE|BIP.UN|CCL.B|CNQ|CNR|CTC.A|ENB|FCD.UN|FN|FTS|FTT|GSY|IFC|IMO|MFC|MG|MRU|NA|NET.UN|SJ|T
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16926 posts
8979 upvotes
Ottawa
Sorry, this is not indicative of anything. As a trend, I expect EVs to improve as many manufacturers figure it out. Eventually the trend should reverse because the complexity of the car is going to go down as parts are commoditized.

Most EVs are new models without few or no carryover parts from previous cars. If you completely built a new ICE car from scratch with a new engine, new infotainment, everything....you would see the same birthing pains. Most ICE cars recycle the same engines, chassis from previous years, except with a new shell. Give the manufacturers a few years to refine/debug their software/hardware. These new cars are rolling testbed of the latest technology and parts so there is going to be some problems.

Of course, all the EV haters (like the OP) can take this report as definitive proof that they are right and EV buyers are suckers. Carry on.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1718 posts
1744 upvotes
Interesting. Some of the EV fanboys in this forum who shall remain nameless, swear that their EVs practically never break and never need any maintenance. They're miracle machines that are bulletproof and virtually free to operate. I always figured it was a complete bs.
Oct 12, 2007
672 posts
374 upvotes
Vancouver
MoneyHypeMike wrote: EV is "popular" because of government, rebates and this whole ESG movement.
It's not the time for EV yet.
Hasn't most subsidies disappeared? I remember when I was considering it, the big subsidy from the federal government was gone, or maybe it was provincial.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2885 posts
2256 upvotes
Markham
Whoaness wrote: Hasn't most subsidies disappeared? I remember when I was considering it, the big subsidy from the federal government was gone, or maybe it was provincial.
The provincial ones are the most fickle and random in how good and bad, Ontario at this point has effectively no subsidy, prior to Doug Ford's government I believe it was one of the more generous ones. On the Federal side, so long as the car qualifies under iZEV you will get "up to $5000", the only changes to this program is the Tesla Model 3 standard range and standard range plus which no longer qualify as of Nov 2021.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)