Home & Garden

Electric deadbolt for garage door - which one?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2021 11:52 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4811 posts
1340 upvotes

Electric deadbolt for garage door - which one?

I have an attached garage with two "normal" doors. One exterior and one leading into the main living space. I know it's going to be a PITA to remember my key for these doors and would like to get an electric keypad version.

Should I go with a "smart" version or just the regular 1-10 numbered one? I can see myself needing to enter the door without my phone (doing yardwork for example). But I can also see the value of being able to lock a door from my phone (ex. in bed realizing I forgot to lock the garage door).

Anyone have a setup they like?
Let's hug it out
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4372 posts
4431 upvotes
Vancouver
An electronic deadbolt (combination lock) is a great convenience.

Factors that drive the cost:
- Security grade: ANSI grade 3 is the basic domestic lock grade, no point in higher if the door/doorframe/window can't withstand physical attack. ANSI grade 2 is a sturdier grade, ANSI grade 1 would probably be overkill.
- Compact 5-button keypad saves space and money, but needs more digits to be secure.
- Ability to re-key the lock yourself to match other door keys - but this only works if you buy a model with the same key type to fit the physical key channel, so check your existing key

They do have an automatic-lock-after-x-minutes capability, which could prevent forgetting to lock the door. The down-side of that is that they don't have door-closed sensors, so they will still deploy the deadbolt if the door is standing open. The wind comes along and slams the door, and you have a damaged door frame and deadbolt.

They also have one-time-use codes that you can pre-program to give out to people on the phone if they are at your house and need access to the garage, such as a friend/neighbour/delivery guy.

What you don't get without a connected smart lock is remote lock status monitoring and remote locking. But with smart connected locks you get higher cost and all the usual hassles: WiFi connectivity issues, shorter battery life, software update issues, bugs, etc.

For electronic deadbolts, this is a very popular cheap grade 3 model made by Kwikset in a bunch of different styles and sold under a bunch of different brand names:
https://www.amazon.ca/AmazonBasics-Trad ... B07J4VQCMF
https://www.lowes.ca/product/electronic ... nze-695189
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ezse ... 7278p.html

Goes on sale for as little as $54 (the price I got it from Lowes).

For a step up in quality and security grade, try the Schlage model:
https://www.amazon.ca/Schlage-BE365-CAM ... B001AT97YA

More than double the price, but worth it for many people (although some grumble about a physical fault that causes some units to malfunction and needs opening up to pop back into place).
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12157 posts
6700 upvotes
Brampton
The schlage BE365 is the best keypad lock in my experience. Solid function. Never affected by temps unlike motorized ones.
I believe it's decently rated by locksmiths and pickers

And IIRC it's the only one ANSI grade 1 rated all around
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4811 posts
1340 upvotes
Thanks, just picked up a BE365
Let's hug it out
Oct 2, 2018
406 posts
274 upvotes
Toronto
I am wanting to pick up the Schlage as well, looks very nice.

I do have to verify the keyhole size on the door tomorrow first before placing the order. Need to ensure it will fit without making a larger keyhole cut seeing it is a metal door. A wooden door it would be easy enough to always put in a larger hole, with a metal door i would then have to determine if it is possible or a pain in the rear.

If the hole is the right size going to pull the trigger, thank you cote64 for bringing it to everyones attention.

Cheers.
Nov 30, 2015
389 posts
190 upvotes
GTA, ON
RCGA wrote: Thanks, just picked up a BE365
An excellent choice for a garage door into the house. I have this setup for quite a few years now. It does not have the automatic lock feature and you must turn the knob to lock on the way out. The battery life is super good at greater than two years.

As for the external garage doors I just use a Wyze camera in the garage to monitor if left open or closed if I'm in bed already. Many times I have forgotten to bring the car in and I see that on the camera.