• May 17th, 2021 9:35 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 24, 2006
49 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto

Electric or gas hot tub?

Live in Ontario and looking to get a freestanding hot tub. Wouldn't get it until next year. Plan to use it year round. If going gas, need to do the line now while yard is ripped up.

Would you install a gas or electric hot tub?
5 replies
Feb 27, 2007
477 posts
279 upvotes
Can you even get a freestanding gas hot tub?

I'm actually being serious - a quick google doesn't show any, and any gas heaters for spas seem more like it's for a built-in or combo spa/pool system like you see in the southern US.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5227 posts
2663 upvotes
lily99 wrote: Live in Ontario and looking to get a freestanding hot tub. Wouldn't get it until next year. Plan to use it year round. If going gas, need to do the line now while yard is ripped up.

Would you install a gas or electric hot tub?
Natural gas or propane?
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Nov 13, 2010
176 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
I'd run the gas, it will be cheaper in the short term until they carbon tax it to make electrical the same; TBH I would service it with both to stay flexible but that's me.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5227 posts
2663 upvotes
Many variables to consider but has will heat quicker, which is especially beneficial in canada
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10626 posts
5916 upvotes
Paris
I actually had this discussion with my brother who is a PEng with what was Union Gas and now Enbridge about why there aren’t MORE gas hot tubs. It was at least 10 years ago, so excuse any discrepancies.

Basically, the thermal cost to heat a small body of water like that vs the thermal cost to keep a small insulated body of water at a constant temp is very close to the same. So my thoughts of keeping the tub at 80 degrees or less and then heating it only when i want to use it only makes sense if I get a hot tub and dont use it much. The other issue is that gas heaters tend to heat like crazy and dont scale well. They are either on and blasting 140+ degree water its too hot to sit in front of, or off and not heating.

Thank you for coming to my I heard it from my smart sibling 10 years ago talk.