Sports & Recreation

Electric Skateboard on sidewalk in Scarborough?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2019 10:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1930 posts
1729 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Electric Skateboard on sidewalk in Scarborough?

I live about 6km away from my work, and I’m thinking of getting an electric skateboard to commute in spring/summer/autumn. However, as many of you know, much of Scarborough is not known for its abundance of bike lanes or generally bike friendly traffic.

I’m thinking of getting an electric skateboard to commute on the sidewalk, and a large stretch of my journey is very sparsely populated with people so it would be mostly clear sailing. I do pass a high school on the way but my work hours are regular 9-5 so there wouldnt' be that many kids either.

Are electric skateboards allowed on sidewalks? I’m generally a fairly careful person so I wouldn’t go ripping around just for the fun of it.
16 replies
Dec 15, 2015
697 posts
519 upvotes
Toronto
GTA is generally the no fun zone so think about it this way. Is your activity fun? Yes? it's not allowed.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2017
1436 posts
1951 upvotes
FHill
chevyz07 wrote: I live about 6km away from my work, and I’m thinking of getting an electric skateboard to commute in spring/summer/autumn. However, as many of you know, much of Scarborough is not known for its abundance of bike lanes or generally bike friendly traffic.

I’m thinking of getting an electric skateboard to commute on the sidewalk, and a large stretch of my journey is very sparsely populated with people so it would be mostly clear sailing. I do pass a high school on the way but my work hours are regular 9-5 so there wouldnt' be that many kids either.

Are electric skateboards allowed on sidewalks? I’m generally a fairly careful person so I wouldn’t go ripping around just for the fun of it.
Do you have to wear a helmet?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1930 posts
1729 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
According to that human powered skateboards are prohibited everywhere except skate parks? That's ridiculous.
TheMaterial wrote: GTA is generally the no fun zone so think about it this way. Is your activity fun? Yes? it's not allowed.
Interesting, so if I hate skateboarding, then the police might turn a blind eye...
Omakase wrote: Do you have to wear a helmet?
I would wear one regardless, and gloves also. And closed toed shoes. However I don't think its mandatory for skateboarders, only bicycling and ice skating I think.
Sep 16, 2006
911 posts
181 upvotes
Barrie, ON
chevyz07 wrote: Interesting, so if I hate skateboarding, then the police might turn a blind eye...
You got it bud. Every time you see the po-po just look at your skateboard with disapproval then roll your eyes and just act like you're having a terrible time. They'll leave you alone.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5792 posts
2553 upvotes
Durham
chevyz07 wrote: I live about 6km away from my work, and I’m thinking of getting an electric skateboard to commute in spring/summer/autumn. However, as many of you know, much of Scarborough is not known for its abundance of bike lanes or generally bike friendly traffic.

Rollerblade ... or just ride a bike.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
203 upvotes
Markham, ON
Why not get a wheel chair so you can work on your arms or a electric wheel chair.

Are electric wheel chairs allowed or do they fall under the same category as electric skateboard?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1930 posts
1729 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
AV-Fishing wrote: Rollerblade ... or just ride a bike.
I'm a bit scared to rollerblade as I actually don['t know how to skate.
Poppwl wrote: Why not get a wheel chair so you can work on your arms or a electric wheel chair.

Are electric wheel chairs allowed or do they fall under the same category as electric skateboard?
I don't have arms....
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
203 upvotes
Markham, ON
chevyz07 wrote: I don't have arms....
Then how would you control an electric skateboard? I am pretty sure you use a remote to control its speed as well as direction. They also go quite fast.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1930 posts
1729 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Poppwl wrote: Then how would you control an electric skateboard? I am pretty sure you use a remote to control its speed as well as direction. They also go quite fast.
Lol that was a joke. I was looking at skateboard with lean control as that seems the most intuitive for me.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2005
2798 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
It looks like it's prohibited from sidewalks but I don't think the police will be chasing you down for doing it unless you are being unsafe. If you want to be %100 law abiding then you can opt to not do it.

I think that hoverboard rule should be just for hoverboard but they made it so general it can apply to ebikes as well and i see tons of people using those
Sep 16, 2006
911 posts
181 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Poppwl wrote: I think rollerblades, skateboard and rollerblades should be allowed on bicycle lanes. It's the same people rollerblading and cycling.
No. Cyclists and bladers go in a straight line from A>B. Skateboarders try to do some stupid trick every 10 meters and half the time the **** it up and the board goes flying across the street into a car or pedestrian. They're a freaking hazard. Honestly I think skateboarders have some sort of undiagnosed mental defect. They all have it in common. I'm convinced of it.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3930 posts
2158 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Why don't you just get an e-bike or electric scooter? Those you can ride on the road with a helmet, and no insurance or maintenance needed. Plus the minimum distance those would travel for are like 40 - 50 km. You should be good for 1 week with those things.

I'm actually getting one next summer. It's the Emmo EM2 or Rogue.

em2.JPG
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Jan 13, 2019
1 posts

Hi, I live in poland and commute to work on my MajesticBoard every day. The law in here prohibits driving on the street on e-skateboard, but it is not precise enough (yet) to prohibit riding on sidewalks or bicycle paths. As a means of transport, the board will be great. The board allows you to accelerate up to 45km / h and drive a distance of 35km, that is, access within the city as much as possible. For this is ecological and pro-healthy
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
203 upvotes
Markham, ON
lamboman wrote: Why don't you just get an e-bike or electric scooter? Those you can ride on the road with a helmet, and no insurance or maintenance needed. Plus the minimum distance those would travel for are like 40 - 50 km. You should be good for 1 week with those things.

I'm actually getting one next summer. It's the Emmo EM2 or Rogue.

em2.JPG
I would still get some sort of insurance. Just in case.