• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2018 8:08 am
Jul 31, 2012
137 posts
35 upvotes
OTTAWA

Electric Stove next to wall

Hi
I have an electric stove (range) that has to sit right up close to the wall - on the side (the stove sits between the wall and cabinet). There is very little room/clearance between the wall and the side of the stove. I checked the owner's manual for the stove and there is no info about required clearance.
1) Do I need to be concerned about the stove sitting so close to the wall, from a safety perspective?
2) If there is a safety concern, can you recommend a product that I can put on the wall to protect it (ie would a product like this be useful or useless)

I realize from a cleaning perspective it would seem better to have something wipeable for grease, etc.

There does not really seem to be room to tile the wall. The person who installed the kitchen literally left a 30" inch space. The other option is to get a 24" stove, but I'd rather avoid that purchase if possible.
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6833 posts
7575 upvotes
Toronto
In 2013 when I read up on this, the side clearance requirement existed only for open flame (gas) stovetops and not for electrical.

It's more of a practical consideration for cleaning, pot handles, and elbows.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Jul 2, 2013
794 posts
220 upvotes
Aurora
MoB654 wrote: Hi
I have an electric stove (range) that has to sit right up close to the wall - on the side (the stove sits between the wall and cabinet). There is very little room/clearance between the wall and the side of the stove. I checked the owner's manual for the stove and there is no info about required clearance.
1) Do I need to be concerned about the stove sitting so close to the wall, from a safety perspective?
2) If there is a safety concern, can you recommend a product that I can put on the wall to protect it (ie would a product like this be useful or useless)

I realize from a cleaning perspective it would seem better to have something wipeable for grease, etc.

There does not really seem to be room to tile the wall. The person who installed the kitchen literally left a 30" inch space. The other option is to get a 24" stove, but I'd rather avoid that purchase if possible.
Re-read your manual because every range will have required side clearances. 12-15" is standard for both convenience and safety issues. if you are worried about the safety aspects then I would strongly suggest you follow the manufacturers recommendations. If you simply cannot get the required clearances, then be sure that you're insurance company is aware of this type of install.
Also, any above the range microwave will need the hinge to swing according to your layout of you expect it to open fully.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)