Automotive

Electric vehicles have 15% share in B.C.

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2019 1:48 pm
76 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1177 posts
416 upvotes
Vancouver
thriftshopper wrote: Rather surprising but perhaps not when one thinks about it

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5146648
Not surprising, with the Federal rebate you can get up to a total of $16,000 if you have an old clunker to trade in. Pretty much eliminates the price difference between the EV and Gas version once you factor in the fuel savings.
Jul 25, 2015
650 posts
322 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Its awesome, the gas companies are shooting themselves in the foot. I hope we see $2/liter this summer and everyone will switch to EV or Hybrids. Let's get 50% share by the end of 2020.
Dec 30, 2016
314 posts
265 upvotes
Piklishi wrote: Its awesome, the gas companies are shooting themselves in the foot. I hope we see $2/liter this summer and everyone will switch to EV or Hybrids. Let's get 50% share by the end of 2020.
There's a reason why BC and Ontario have higher ev sales than the rest of the country($$$). Ontario has a lot of tech and general commerce, whereas BC has a high tech sector and high foreign money/affluent types. Most people in any case cannot afford an electric vehicle with average incomes. On top of that, until more SUV and truck types start rolling out from manufacturers, it's not going to make much of a difference either. I think this whole 2030 or is it 2040 thing is a bit unrealistic as this point. I talked to many people about the government rebate here in Saskatchewan and a lot of them cited $2500 being no where near the tax for a reasonable ev and size as the biggest things. People here love their trucks/suvs and not all of them use them for mall hopping or showing off, quite a lot of farmers/remote living people here.

I would love to buy an ev, my dream is the Pacifica, but at $50k+ for a vehicle with good family potential, it's a non-starter right now.
May 20, 2017
805 posts
584 upvotes
ON
Even with the high gas price in BC, I still feel like 15% is too high for EV share. Any data to back up the claim?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19910 posts
8017 upvotes
Toronto
This number seems high. Do manufactures even have this many BEVs to sell? Until battery technology improves, the rest of Canada where climates are less friendly to BEV range, I can't see similar uptake in the rest of the country. The improvement can be in range or charge time.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, Simplii
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6128 posts
4740 upvotes
Elec2016 wrote: Even with the high gas price in BC, I still feel like 15% is too high for EV share. Any data to back up the claim?
I expect it to be new car sales, not total on the road.

And I believe it as someone16 said with $16K on the hood and 30% more expensive gas, it's stupid not to buy an EV.

I think in the other EV thread, BC is giving out something like $3M/week to EV grants since May 1st.

On average BC sells 25,000 cars a month. $3M a week at $5000 each should move about 600 ev/wk, or 2400 per month. So that's like just short of 9%.
Last edited by Xtrema on May 24th, 2019 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
4969 posts
9586 upvotes
Ottawa
Elec2016 wrote: Even with the high gas price in BC, I still feel like 15% is too high for EV share. Any data to back up the claim?
Data is based on fleetcarma. Research paper that news article is based on: https://www.policyschool.ca/wp-content/ ... -final.pdf
That 15% is of new passenger cars sold and it goes back to Q3 2018. I wonder what % is now after federal rebates.

Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
4969 posts
9586 upvotes
Ottawa
This 15% does not include trucks. And the number of trucks sold in Canda is huge. Just compare first 3 months of 2019:
Passenger cars: 104,971
Trucks*: 317,519
3 times more trucks then passenger cars!
Source: StatsCan

*Trucks include minivans, sport-utility vehicles, light and heavy trucks, vans and buses.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35239 posts
21220 upvotes
Center of Universe
Piklishi wrote: Its awesome, the gas companies are shooting themselves in the foot. I hope we see $2/liter this summer and everyone will switch to EV or Hybrids. Let's get 50% share by the end of 2020.
If you're struggling to fill up gas at $2/L, where would you come up with the heavy up front premium to purchase an EV, even with the current rebates?
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19469 posts
3519 upvotes
Toronto
x3fann wrote: There's a reason why BC and Ontario have higher ev sales than the rest of the country($$$). Ontario has a lot of tech and general commerce, whereas BC has a high tech sector and high foreign money/affluent types. Most people in any case cannot afford an electric vehicle with average incomes. On top of that, until more SUV and truck types start rolling out from manufacturers, it's not going to make much of a difference either. I think this whole 2030 or is it 2040 thing is a bit unrealistic as this point. I talked to many people about the government rebate here in Saskatchewan and a lot of them cited $2500 being no where near the tax for a reasonable ev and size as the biggest things. People here love their trucks/suvs and not all of them use them for mall hopping or showing off, quite a lot of farmers/remote living people here.

I would love to buy an ev, my dream is the Pacifica, but at $50k+ for a vehicle with good family potential, it's a non-starter right now.
There haven't been many hybrid or electric trucks so far. That's changing though. Chrysler just rolled out a hybrid pickup, and Ford and Toyota aren't far behind with their heavier vehicles. Those will have a serious torque with lower gas consumption, which will sway a lot of folks.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2741 posts
1279 upvotes
Calgary
seafish wrote: This 15% does not include trucks. And the number of trucks sold in Canda is huge. Just compare first 3 months of 2019:
Passenger cars: 104,971
Trucks*: 317,519
3 times more trucks then passenger cars!
Source: StatsCan

*Trucks include minivans, sport-utility vehicles, light and heavy trucks, vans and buses.
So the true market share in Canada is still between 1-2% of all new vehicles sold?
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9675 posts
9135 upvotes
Markham
North Americans are crazy. So many people buy unnecessarily large cars. I can understand if you need a truck for work, or a van for a big family. But what is the point of driving a BMW X7 to work as a single occupant? Not saying that people shouldn't be able to flaunt their wealth, but this kind of excess is unnecessary.
Jul 25, 2015
650 posts
322 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
vkizzle wrote: If you're struggling to fill up gas at $2/L, where would you come up with the heavy up front premium to purchase an EV, even with the current rebates?
Why is the front premium so big that everyone talks about it. It's not, and it's a little bit more than buying a gas car.

Examples.

Mazda 3 - 6 speed sedan AWD non luxury MSRP - 26k
Honda Civic Touring MSRP -- 30K
Nissan Leaf 2019 62 kWh lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery
160 kW AC -- 44k minus 10k rebates and 6k dumping the old 2003 Ford it comes to 28K.

So right in the middle, 2k more than Mazda 2k less than Honda. And yes I picked the higher models for all them as pretty much everyone opts for better cars. This doesnt include negotiations at the dealer.

Sources from the Mazda Honda and Nissa websites.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6128 posts
4740 upvotes
Anikiri wrote: North Americans are crazy. So many people buy unnecessarily large cars. I can understand if you need a truck for work, or a van for a big family. But what is the point of driving a BMW X7 to work as a single occupant? Not saying that people shouldn't be able to flaunt their wealth, but this kind of excess is unnecessary.
EVers: EV are 15%!

Mainstream: Not when you count total vehicle sold since everyone is now buying trucks and SUVs.

EVers: Mainstream people are CRAZY.

lol.
Piklishi wrote: Why is the front premium so big that everyone talks about it. It's not, and it's a little bit more than buying a gas car.

Examples.

160 kW AC -- 44k minus 10k rebates and 6k dumping the old 2003 Ford it comes to 28K.

So right in the middle, 2k more than Mazda 2k less than Honda. And yes I picked the higher models for all them as pretty much everyone opts for better cars. This doesnt include negotiations at the dealer.

When government taxes fossil fuel and reward EV buyers, financially it's pretty dumb to buy ICE over EV in BC.
Last edited by Xtrema on May 24th, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35239 posts
21220 upvotes
Center of Universe
Piklishi wrote: Why is the front premium so big that everyone talks about it. It's not, and it's a little bit more than buying a gas car.

Examples.

I automatically assumed Model 3 SR+ and didn't realize the 2019 Leaf EV has a pretty impressive range up to 363km.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2741 posts
1279 upvotes
Calgary

Examples.

Kona EV Ultimate $52K
Kona Gas Ultimate $32K

That's before any incentives. This is the closest apples to apples to upgrade a car to EV from ICE right now. You also lose AWD doing this. That $20K delta needs to be $5-6K Before any incentives for the market share to go anywhere meaningful.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6128 posts
4740 upvotes
aleks wrote: Kona EV Ultimate $52K
Kona Gas Ultimate $32K

That's before any incentives. This is the closest apples to apples to upgrade a car to EV from ICE right now. You also lose AWD doing this. That $20K delta needs to be $5-6K Before any incentives for the market share to go anywhere meaningful.
If you get $16K from BC gov and $2K per year in savings, you will be making $ by year 4.