• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2019 7:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3490 posts
2158 upvotes

Electric Water heater spewing like a gusher water

It seems that the life of the electric water heater just ended. Water is spewing non stop and I managed to cut power water to it for now. What is the cheapest option besides no hot water jokes. DIY?
5 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16029 posts
4862 upvotes
London
1. Is this a rental heater - call the rental company
2. If it’s an owned unit - Home Depot or Lowe’s - by a new heater and pay for installation
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3160 posts
2132 upvotes
Toronto
I trust you've shut the water supply off to the heater? You still have cold running water in the rest of the house?

As has been said - there's no magic to this. Replace it. Call your local furnace or water heater companies and get quotes.

The cheapest up front would be to call your gas supplier and tell them you want a rental unit installed. I have one - 20 years I've been paying $17 a month and prefer that over owning. But lots of opinions on that topic.

All of this is based on the idea that your heater has somehow failed. Usually they just stop heating, not spring a massive leak. You might have a $100 problem to solve with a local plumber, not a $2000 replacement water heater issue.

Switch to gas while you're at it.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2263 posts
1616 upvotes
SW Ontario
Renting is cheapest short term but most expensive long term.

Buying is expensive short term but cheapest in the long term.

So it depends on your perspective of cheap.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Feb 25, 2004
930 posts
412 upvotes
Longueuil
An electric water heater is not very expensive, I would simply replace it and avoid renting at all cost.

Your water heater is one of the most reliable electric appliances that you have. It is likely more reliable than your fridge, dish washer, washer, dryer, TV... so it doesn't make sense to me to rent it, you will simply pay way way more in the end. Even if you are not a DIY, if it breaks, you simply call a plumber to have it fixed and you will still end up with more money in your pockets than renting it.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2575 upvotes
Buy don’t rent, especially for an electric heater. They’re cheap to buy and Very easy to replace if you’re at least somewhat handy, as there is no venting or gas installation involved, and easy to service as there are just 2 electric elements.
The only connections involved are a re/re of the wiring, and cold in/hot out water lines
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide