Home & Garden

Electric wiring question

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2018 2:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1866 posts
1525 upvotes
Center of the univer…

Electric wiring question

I haven't switched a switch before and was looking into getting caseta smart switches but before that I wanted to see if my wiring would be an issue or not.

I have 3 black wires going into the switch, 3 neutral wires in a wire but, 3 ground wires attached to the back of the switch plate but not attached to the switch itself.

Can anyone one tell me what's going on here? One of them I assume is a Traveller wire? Is there an easy way to find this out or I need a voltage tester?

Image
9 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 18, 2004
1109 posts
146 upvotes
Mississauga
regular switch , feeding something else , do pigtail Image
CoNtRaCtOr
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto
awais wrote: I haven't switched a switch before and was looking into getting caseta smart switches but before that I wanted to see if my wiring would be an issue or not.

I have 3 black wires going into the switch, 3 neutral wires in a wire but, 3 ground wires attached to the back of the switch plate but not attached to the switch itself.

Can anyone one tell me what's going on here? One of them I assume is a Traveller wire? Is there an easy way to find this out or I need an electrician?
Fixed it for you.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 9, 2007
2141 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
DIrty-D wrote: Fixed it for you.
If that's what you would do no wonder electricians get paid a fortune.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto
koleso wrote: If that's what you would do no wonder electricians get paid a fortune.
You being serious? The OP obviously has not even the slightest clue about electrical, this is basic basic stuff. I'm 100% for DIYers but if he doesnt know the basics, it's better to to call a pro.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 9, 2007
2141 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
DIrty-D wrote: You being serious? The OP obviously has not even the slightest clue about electrical, this is basic basic stuff. I'm 100% for DIYers but if he doesnt know the basics, it's better to to call a pro.
Yeah i'm being serious. It takes a special kind of person not to be able to figure this out. I too, few month back had my hands on electrical switch for the first time in my life but after some research, posts here and on DIY forums I got what I needed and wired the whole bathroom, properly. This isnt a rocket science and if common sense, a bit of knowledge and 2 hands are where they need to be this is just another DIY.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1866 posts
1525 upvotes
Center of the univer…
TTony wrote: regular switch , feeding something else , do pigtail Image
Thanks, appreciate your help.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 2, 2012
4324 posts
3472 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
TTony wrote: regular switch , feeding something else , do pigtail Image
This is what the original install SHOULD have been. I hate those push in connections. Damn lazy install, I say.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 2, 2012
4324 posts
3472 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
awais wrote: I haven't switched a switch before and was looking into getting caseta smart switches but before that I wanted to see if my wiring would be an issue or not.

I have 3 black wires going into the switch, 3 neutral wires in a wire but, 3 ground wires attached to the back of the switch plate but not attached to the switch itself.

Can anyone one tell me what's going on here? One of them I assume is a Traveller wire? Is there an easy way to find this out or I need a voltage tester?

Image
Traveller wires are used in three way switches. This is not a three way switch. The feed/supply is coming in on the bottom (assuming that only one light is being controlled by the switch).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1866 posts
1525 upvotes
Center of the univer…
TTony wrote: regular switch , feeding something else , do pigtail Image
Thanks! It worked, couldn't believe how easy this was and I kept overthinking it. Thanks again!

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)