None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3374 posts
984 upvotes
Toronto

Electrical Contact Cleaner ...water got up in my license plate bulb contact

Long story short my cover on one of my rear license plate bulbs fell off, took 3 weeks to order a new one, since then water must have got in and my bulb died (had a little water rust mark on it)

I wanted to get a good contact cleaner to spray up in there before i put another bulb in there

Any suggestions ? Will it be ok to spray something there? Any larger electrical issues that could come of this?

Thanks!
12 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35620 posts
21676 upvotes
Center of Universe
Isopropyl alcohol.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
810 upvotes
Waterloo
wmahmud wrote: Long story short my cover on one of my rear license plate bulbs fell off, took 3 weeks to order a new one, since then water must have got in and my bulb died (had a little water rust mark on it)

I wanted to get a good contact cleaner to spray up in there before i put another bulb in there

Any suggestions ? Will it be ok to spray something there? Any larger electrical issues that could come of this?

Thanks!
you're pretty much looking at replacing the whole assembly sooner or later. might as well do it now and get it over with. once you have corrosion started at an electrical contact there is nothing you can do except to replace it. If you replace it later you may have to replace the pigtail connector that connector that connects to the bulb holder as well.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6389 posts
2039 upvotes
BC
WD-40 (Water Displacer). Too big a job for Switch/Contact cleaner.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3374 posts
984 upvotes
Toronto
Supahhh wrote: you're pretty much looking at replacing the whole assembly sooner or later. might as well do it now and get it over with. once you have corrosion started at an electrical contact there is nothing you can do except to replace it. If you replace it later you may have to replace the pigtail connector that connector that connects to the bulb holder as well.
Or i could just leave the bulb out no?

Can any problems start from there further into the car?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3374 posts
984 upvotes
Toronto
I'll post pics tomorrow...its a very tiny bulb and contact where it sits
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5862 posts
2037 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Supahhh wrote: you're pretty much looking at replacing the whole assembly sooner or later. might as well do it now and get it over with. once you have corrosion started at an electrical contact there is nothing you can do except to replace it. If you replace it later you may have to replace the pigtail connector that connector that connects to the bulb holder as well.
Usually talking copper not steel.
macnut wrote: WD-40 (Water Displacer). Too big a job for Switch/Contact cleaner.
wd40? not for this sort of thing, that being any possible copper tarnishing, if a coating of dirt on it perhaps might help.

My guess op is that 3 weeks isn't enough time to make any real difference on copper anyway. Replace the bulb and if it works stop worrying about it, buuut if you must, a little contact cleaner won't hurt, try not to get any on cars paint, but if you do clean it off.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21907 posts
2720 upvotes
Flat file to remove rust, contact cleaner/brake clean/whatever to remove sanding dust, dielectric grease with bulb.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
810 upvotes
Waterloo
wmahmud wrote: Or i could just leave the bulb out no?

Can any problems start from there further into the car?
no it'll be limited to that particular socket and the pigtail connector.
Put in a LED bulb , since the current draw is so small for LED bulbs, I think you might get away with no further damage.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15277 posts
3627 upvotes
Toronto
Changing the assembly and checking the wires is the thorough approach.

In terms of contact cleaners, I would get something like this:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motom ... 1740p.html

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/inde ... R-I8618888

Just make sure it does not have silicone as it is more versatile.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6068 posts
597 upvotes
SW Ontario
Kasakato wrote: Flat file to remove rust, contact cleaner/brake clean/whatever to remove sanding dust, dielectric grease with bulb.
This is what I would do.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11352 posts
3097 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
After you clean it up make sure you put dielectric grease on the connector and bulb. This will help keep water/moisture out of there in case it leaks again. I put dielectric grease on all my connectors/bulbs just in case so they are protected.
0_o
<_<
>_>