None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3509 posts
631 upvotes
Hamilton

Electrical Help: Lights Dim

..and I'm pretty sure I know where I screwed up.

I built a wall to wall closet and put two fixtures inside the closet. The power comes into the first box(A), through the second (B) and is switched at the end all with 14-2.

Hot comes into the first box (A), pigtailed to just the wire going to the second box (B) then goes to the switch. After leaving the switch, back to box(B) where it connects to the black wire of the light fixture. The white of the light fixture is connect to the other wire going between box (B) and (A). In box (A), the wire coming from box(b) is connected to the black wire of the other light fixture. The white from the other fixture is connected to the original neutral that came from the panel.

they are LED fixtures and when connected like above, they both flicker. When I delete one and just use the box as a junction box with no load, the single fixture lights up without issue. I'm pretty sure I'm getting these problems because I wired these 2 lights in series. My other thought is the wires are connected to the fixtures through this little plastic quick disconnect that came with them.

Is there anything I can do now besides tear into the wall again? If I cant use these 2 boxes because of how they are wired I these fixtures allow you to connect two together externally, I might have to do it.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16942 posts
1787 upvotes
Thornhill
Looks like you're kinda screwed. I think the wire between boxes A and B has to be 14/3, otherwise light A will always be on.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1553 posts
1286 upvotes
Toronto
Test your wiring before covering up wall.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7504 posts
754 upvotes
Toronto
Electrical lighting is wired in parallel.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4265 posts
1509 upvotes
WFH
Didn't your rough in inspection catch it?

Can you fish another cable between A & B? If you can't an electrician probably can with zero/minimal damage.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7504 posts
754 upvotes
Toronto
dirtmover wrote: Didn't your rough in inspection catch it?

Can you fish another cable between A & B? If you can't an electrician probably can with zero/minimal damage.
Inspection? What inspection!
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4935 posts
767 upvotes
Calgary
Since you didn't get inspection.....

Use the ground wire as a third wire.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
918 upvotes
Windsor
The wire that goes from "A" to "B", does it just go straight through joists (aka: you never secured it anywhere)? If so, you can pull out the 14/2 wire pulling a fish wire with it, then use the fish wire to pull a 14/3.

If you affixed it maybe just near the electrical boxes, you can probably remove the boxes (I presume you screwed them to the joists), and pull out the staples through the holes.

Another option is not to have 2x fixtures, but instead just install a wide fixture and connect it to only one of the boxes.

Just some ideas.