Electrical question: Toronto Hydro Customer Action Form for defect

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2023 5:49 pm
Mar 15, 2003
807 posts
292 upvotes
toronto

Electrical question: Toronto Hydro Customer Action Form for defect

Today Toronto hydro came over unexpectedly because my meter wasn't sending signals and they needed to replace the face of the meter. When they did this, something broke and they issued me a Customer Action form.

This is what it says:
Identified Deficiencies: Top Right Line side jaw has broken off
Work performed: Meter installed to temporarily hold jaws in place and give customer power, meter is secured temporarily jaw will come off when removing meter.
Instructions to the customer: Get electrician to either replace meter base or repair jaw. Isolation required.

I'm not sure what this means.

Is this something that can be repaired easily? my outside meter square box is old and I live in an old century home..
If i'm replacing the meter base, does Toronto Hydro need to shut off the power? etc?
Currently I have 100A, maybe this is the time to upgrade to 200A since they are doing so much outside if i'm replacing.
It's starting to sound expensive, any help appreciated...
1 reply
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2553 posts
1791 upvotes
Oakville
thesober wrote: Today Toronto hydro came over unexpectedly because my meter wasn't sending signals and they needed to replace the face of the meter. When they did this, something broke and they issued me a Customer Action form.

This is what it says:
Identified Deficiencies: Top Right Line side jaw has broken off
Work performed: Meter installed to temporarily hold jaws in place and give customer power, meter is secured temporarily jaw will come off when removing meter.
Instructions to the customer: Get electrician to either replace meter base or repair jaw. Isolation required.

I'm not sure what this means.

Is this something that can be repaired easily? my outside meter square box is old and I live in an old century home..
If i'm replacing the meter base, does Toronto Hydro need to shut off the power? etc?
Currently I have 100A, maybe this is the time to upgrade to 200A since they are doing so much outside if i'm replacing.
It's starting to sound expensive, any help appreciated...
I am surprised you actually have 100a service on a century home. It must have already been upgraded.

To use an analogy, think of the meter base like an outlet, and the meter itself like a socket you plug into the outlet. In this case, the right side of your outlet broke so the jaws/clip inside of the right slot is missing a side that clamps onto the right spade on the plug/meter. To fix this they temporarily attached the missing jaw that broke off to complete the circuit. To fix this, the outlet/meter base needs to be replaced.

And yes, power would need to be shut off to replace the meter base. If you can upgrade to 200a service, you should do so at the same time, if the feed supports it, but is doubtful for a century home.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)