Electrical Strom Bricked Some Stuff

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2021 11:11 pm
[OP]
Nov 10, 2003
31 posts
43 upvotes

Electrical Strom Bricked Some Stuff

It looks like a nasty lightning storm bricked my TV, Playstation, Chromecast and cable tv box.
All were powered on at the time of lightning, and all now will not turn on (totally bricked).
Only the equipment on this outlet was affect (rest of house was fine), and all this equipment was plugged into a Surge Protector (BE108000-08-CM). Even now the surge protector indicator light indicates equipment is "protected".

Total worth of equipment is about $1200.
Any tips on how to determine for sure if equipment is bricked?
Any tips on experience with insurance claims?
54 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1381 posts
1015 upvotes
Etobicoke
not worth it for an insurance claim
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21238 posts
25308 upvotes
Insurance is probably a waste of time.

Buy a good surge protector, and if you're expecting a surge risk, unplug everything until well after the storm clears.

Eat the cost (sad to say), and buy replacement hardware as you see fit.

Wait for deals.
[OP]
Nov 10, 2003
31 posts
43 upvotes
Thanks for info.
If something was still under warranty is it possible to return because it "stopped working"?
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
1658 posts
578 upvotes
Oakville
You should submit a claim through Belkin Connected Equipment Warranty insurance for any equipment damaged while connected to their surge protector.

Have you tried connecting each defective item directly into a working outlet to verify if each item will still work without the surge protector?

Have you tried connecting a functional item (eg. a working light) to the surge protector to see if the surge protector really does still works (trying all the outlets)?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6814 posts
3104 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Whole house surge protector might help.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Nov 10, 2003
31 posts
43 upvotes
cba123 wrote: You should submit a claim through Belkin Connected Equipment Warranty insurance for any equipment damaged while connected to their surge protector.

Have you tried connecting each defective item directly into a working outlet to verify if each item will still work without the surge protector?

Have you tried connecting a functional item (eg. a working light) to the surge protector to see if the surge protector really does still works (trying all the outlets)?
Tried all the trouble shooting you mentioned.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
1658 posts
578 upvotes
Oakville
oshier wrote: Tried all the trouble shooting you mentioned.
...and, what was the result?
All equipment was still dead?

Was the surge protector also dead despite the protected light still lit up, or was it still functional?

If it is now dead, then it will probably make the claim with Belkin easier since I think you may need to send them the surge protector to support the claim.

I had a coworker get a claim settlement over a decade ago when a surge damaged his equipment, but don't recall which brand they had.
[OP]
Nov 10, 2003
31 posts
43 upvotes
All equipment is still dead.
Surge protector is still functional.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21238 posts
25308 upvotes
I hope I'm wrong, but I've heard it's near impossible to collect on this surge protector insurance policy.
[OP]
Nov 10, 2003
31 posts
43 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: I hope I'm wrong, but I've heard it's near impossible to collect on this surge protector insurance policy.
I suspect your right
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
1658 posts
578 upvotes
Oakville
Since the surge protector is still functional, than it will definitely be much harder, if not impossible, to prove your claim, but you might as well try.

My coworker was the only person I have known that had lost equipment to a surge, and then actually made a successful claim, but their surge protector was also fried.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3263 posts
1999 upvotes
SW ON
Check the fuses. Sometimes they are inside and not easily accessible. Open up your equipment, it's dead anyway. There is a tiny chance there's an internal fuse and it's blown.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
2830 posts
156 upvotes
Calgary
city or rural area? are your neighbours stuff also fried?
6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
Apr 25, 2018
164 posts
202 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
need to check surge protector ratings before you purchase them, most have a threshold too high for electronics.

e.g. the cheapies are useless
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
1658 posts
578 upvotes
Oakville
Alligatorclip wrote: need to check surge protector ratings before you purchase them, most have a threshold too high for electronics.

e.g. the cheapies are useless

Did you actually check the specs for the OPs Belkin surge protector?

Clamping voltage is 330v (best), and has 2500j (over 1000 is recommended), UL1449 rated, and has EMI filtering.

...and are you still suggesting the Belkin surge protector the OP used was a cheapie and had poor ratings?

The Belkin surge protectors have always been highly recommended here on RFD for decades since the Dell daily deals days, along with APC, Tripplite, and Cyberpower.
[OP]
Nov 10, 2003
31 posts
43 upvotes
cba123 wrote: The Belkin surge protectors have always been highly recommended here on RFD for decades since the Dell daily deals days, along with APC, Tripplite, and Cyberpower.
It was a Dell daily deals day purchase.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4706 posts
1644 upvotes
Vancouver
oshier wrote: It was a Dell daily deals day purchase.
How long ago was that? Weren't the heyday of Dell daily deals something like 8 years ago?

I ask because I've been told by manufacturers reps (APC, Eaton's, etc) over the years that the MOV's used in these do not last forever. The link below explains this. I suspect any claim you make may get pro-rated just like a tire warranty.

Your surge protector had a 2500j lifespan when new and in any given year it gets exposed to several low joule events that take away from that. In some areas of North America the typical time span of a surge protector is said to be less than 3 years (Florida) but even here in Canada I would think a surge protector would need to be replaced more often in Winnipeg or Toronto than in Vancouver simply due the Vancouver area gets very few raging electrical storms in comparison although we do see a handful of power outages/surges every winter due wind taking down hydro lines.

https://www.howtogeek.com/212375/why-an ... protector/

Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4706 posts
1644 upvotes
Vancouver
PS.... at this point you should probably go through your residence and replace every other surge protector you have.

This article says every 2 years they should be replaced (LOL... maybe sponsored by APC or Belkin) but still imho a valid claim if you live in an area with poor hydro utility service and/or lot's of raging lightning storms. Poor hydro would include brownouts, surges, and complete power outages.

https://thehometheaterdiy.com/when-to-r ... protector/

May 31, 2008
238 posts
397 upvotes
It wouldn't hurt to submit a claim and see what happens. Some sales pages say it has a $100,000 Connected Equipment Warranty, while the actual claim submission page says $2500.00.
If they deny it, leave bad reviews everywhere and someone from the company might contact you.

Let us know what happens!

https://www.belkin.com/us/claim/submission/