Electrical work quote

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2019 7:28 am
[OP]
Jul 31, 2017
104 posts
20 upvotes

Electrical work quote

I’m looking at getting some electrical work done. I received a written quote from the electrician listing line items of work and a just dollar figure for each. None of the materials are listed, nor is the hourly rate. Is that normal? Wondering if I should request additional granularity?
9 replies
[OP]
Jul 31, 2017
104 posts
20 upvotes
Basically it bugs me that I can’t tell how long the job will take. Do I need to take a day off work or more.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
buttertarts wrote: Basically it bugs me that I can’t tell how long the job will take. Do I need to take a day off work or more.
Many companies charge flat rates. This is normal, especially for “smaller” jobs. Call the company who gave you the quote and ask them how long the proposed work will take
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3921 posts
1902 upvotes
buttertarts wrote: None of the materials are listed, nor is the hourly rate. Is that normal? Wondering if I should request additional granularity?
Contractors tend not to give a material list as lots of customers just take this list and go buy it and do it on their own.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16644 posts
6897 upvotes
I find you have to specifically ask if you want to be charged "time and materials" for a job. The flat rate quote can work good and bad, but what I am not a fan of is that the flat rate system encourages them to fix any problems quickly because there is only so much time allotted for problems. Flat rate is an easy way to charge you a consistent amount and ensure that you are not surprised as the end of the day, therefore reducing the risk to you (as to being charged more).

For example, if you are hiring a mechanic to change a part on your car and they snap a bolt you do not pay any extra in a flat rate system. It's all built in to their price. But if you were paying time and materials you will pay for them to extract the bolt.

Personally I prefer paying time and materials. If there is a problem I am willing to pay and pay to have it fixed properly and to the best of their abilities. I understand how the contractor is hesitant because there is no firm price then and they risk you being upset at the price.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2009
1344 posts
475 upvotes
Ontario
You asked for a quote and got one.
Ask for a project plan and material list if that is what you want.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
This is very normal. If you're happy with the price, why not just hire the guy? Or are you trying to not do certain things? If you want a time line, just ask the guy how long he needs. Most contractors can easily tell you "I need two days" or "I should have it done in two but give me three to be safe" type thing. If you want every line with every little detail the guy will think you're nickle and diming him and won't want to do the job.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4129 posts
1505 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
If you post the list of work to be done I'm sure there's a few of us that can give you a ballpark idea of how much time it should take.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1591 posts
790 upvotes
Just ask him...

Receiving an itemized quote is already one step ahead.