• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2020 2:03 pm
[OP]
Aug 9, 2010
182 posts
107 upvotes
Bowmanville

Electrician Advice- Looking for

We have flooring installation going on. The guy screwed plywood in and 1 screw must have hit wire in crawlspace that controls washroom and fridge. We pulled screw out and it was a bit warm and it tripped the breaker. I flipped the breaker and everything still works fine.

Should I hire an electrician to come and inspect wire in craw space or should it be fine since everything is working and no more breaker trips? I dont want to hire someone if there is no need. If the screw only went through the wire plastic and between the wires without doing damage, is there an issue? i figure things wouldent still work if there was actual damage, unless im wrong? Dont want to spend $250 to have someone drive out here if there isnt really need.

Looking for advice from someone with electrical knowledge. Thanks!
Last edited by dobbsie2 on Jul 10th, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
2028 posts
270 upvotes
Mississauga
the screw will also be warm because it was just drilled....they heat up...

If was you, I would pull up a section of the plywood there and visually inspect the wire (or whatever is there)...then decide how to fix it....

as much as it sucks when mishaps happen...it's much easier to fix this NOW vs when the flooring is all done.
Sep 21, 2004
125 posts
79 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Pay the $250 and have an electrician come and save your house from burning down.
Advice would be to open the breaker for the fridge and washroom until someone can come in and look at it for you. Get an extension cord and plug your fridge into another outlet to save the food until you have someone come by. Could do it during the regular work day so you are not paying a premium on the weekend if you can go without power to that circuit for a few days (Separate washroom?). But make sure the circuit breaker is opened right away.

Hopefully you have easy access to the crawlspace (at least it's not behind a wall). In which case the electrician will just come in and can put in a simple junction box to fix the cable. If a screw hit it, was warm, and tripped your breaker.. there is more damage to just the plastic. You can have an arcing fault that may not trip your circuit breaker but will lead to lots of heat that can built up and can and has burned down a lot of houses in the past killing a number of people...

Normally I am not a "doomsday" person - but in this case, I would not be sleeping in this house if that circuit was live without getting it fixed.

Save yourself and your family and get it taken care of. You know it's an issue and it should be corrected.
Sep 21, 2004
125 posts
79 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
pardnme wrote: the screw will also be warm because it was just drilled....they heat up...

If was you, I would pull up a section of the plywood there and visually inspect the wire (or whatever is there)...then decide how to fix it....

as much as it sucks when mishaps happen...it's much easier to fix this NOW vs when the flooring is all done.
You're correct that the screw would be warm when removing it, but Drilling into a wall or floor does not trip a breaker unless you hit a cable....
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4596 posts
4020 upvotes
Toronto
The wire is in a crawlspace according to your post. Go have a look at it. If it's damaged, hopefully there is enough slack in the line to cut it and install a junction box. If not, if it can be traced to the next connection point (outlet, junction, breaker panel) then that section of wire can be replaced to allow for the repair.

Call an electrician. Shorting wires is how fires start.
Nov 10, 2015
379 posts
390 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
1000% get it fixed. $250 versus your house catching on fire.

The rfd'er in me wants to tell you to just open up the floor, inspect and tape the wire. But dont take that advice lol.
[OP]
Aug 9, 2010
182 posts
107 upvotes
Bowmanville
Thanks guys I will have someone come look at it. I was able to get some access via crawlspace

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)