Home & Garden

Electrician not doing job neither returning deposit.. who to contact?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2019 11:06 pm
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jan 22, 2015
139 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto

Electrician not doing job neither returning deposit.. who to contact?

Folks, Need urgent help.

This electrictian which i hired to upgrade our fuse panel to circuit boards and gave him deposit is simply lingering us over for 2 months and is not doing any work neither returning our deposit. He is simply buying more and more time and I am badly stuck. I have proper invoice from him along with our deposit amount and his company name...

Who do i need to contact to have this resolved other than involving lawyers? is there any one on ESA or etc i need to reach out to?
17 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3365 posts
2886 upvotes
Toronto
hammadarif wrote: Folks, Need urgent help.

This electrictian which i hired to upgrade our fuse panel to circuit boards and gave him deposit is simply lingering us over for 2 months and is not doing any work neither returning our deposit. He is simply buying more and more time and I am badly stuck. I have proper invoice from him along with our deposit amount and his company name...

Who do i need to contact to have this resolved other than involving lawyers? is there any one on ESA or etc i need to reach out to?
First you should have posted this in Home and Garden.

Secondly there isn't anyone that can make him complete his contract with you. You're going to have to go to small claims court.

Third, are you sure he is even a licensed electrician?
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jan 22, 2015
139 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
yes he is a licensed Electrician and have a license number plus a company too....
I am not getting why this have to be posted in 'home and garden'... sorry i am kind of newbie. Sorry....

If i go to small court... how quick is the process? Thanks.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4284 posts
1557 upvotes
WFH
Did he give you a date that the work will be completed? He must deliver within 30 days of this date or you can demand your deposit back.

You can always try filing a consumer complaint before going to the expense and hassle of filing a small claim.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
12428 posts
8938 upvotes
Edmonton
hammadarif wrote: Folks, Need urgent help.

This electrictian which i hired to upgrade our fuse panel to circuit boards and gave him deposit is simply lingering us over for 2 months and is not doing any work neither returning our deposit. He is simply buying more and more time and I am badly stuck. I have proper invoice from him along with our deposit amount and his company name...

Who do i need to contact to have this resolved other than involving lawyers? is there any one on ESA or etc i need to reach out to?
Sounds like a small claims court situation to me, assuming he is actually an electrician registered with the ESA. You don’t need a lawyer for that.

C
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
14926 posts
9332 upvotes
Toronto
Show up at his place of business.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2009
7484 posts
4773 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Why did you make 2 threads the same? Perhaps a mod can join them up?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
811 upvotes
Waterloo
hammadarif wrote: yes he is a licensed Electrician and have a license number plus a company too....
I am not getting why this have to be posted in 'home and garden'... sorry i am kind of newbie. Sorry....

If i go to small court... how quick is the process? Thanks.
What date is the Permit for? You realise you need a permit in most juristictions.
----
Pay it forward.
Member
Jan 12, 2007
356 posts
199 upvotes
Start documenting everything in case you have to file a small claim in court.
You don't need a lawyer to file a small claim only a paralegal if you don't like the paper work.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jan 22, 2015
139 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Folks.


* he is licensed electrictian.
* he has been giving me false disconnect dates and on those dates no one shows up to do electric work.
* I have an invoice and deposit copy under his company name that i paid him down payment along with scope of work.
* I have proof of text messages that he is not answering my calls and delaying work for last 2 months.
* he is still willing to do work but next date he gave me is 19th Sept... but i have 0% faith in it.
* he claimed to have withdrawn permits from city but who knows....


based on above information what direction should i choose.... i paid him upfront 70% deposit money (i being too stupid)..... and now its causing me a lot of stress and embarrassment.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jan 22, 2015
139 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Also i live in GTA and the house in question is in Niagra area... if i were to go to small court.. Can i file in GTA or do i have to file in niagra region?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1237 posts
1744 upvotes
Stouffville ON
hammadarif wrote:
* he claimed to have withdrawn permits from city but who knows....
Electrical permits are issued by ESA not the city, call and find out, at least you will know if the permits are issued or not.
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
Sr. Member
Apr 5, 2017
705 posts
160 upvotes
Hi there,
If he is a certified electrician, contact his college and register a complain with them.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5010 posts
1390 upvotes
Kitchener
I know scheduling the city hydro crew can be a pain for meter pulling so he can replace the panel, might be part of the problem
Member
May 22, 2007
489 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
Drthorne wrote: I know scheduling the city hydro crew can be a pain for meter pulling so he can replace the panel, might be part of the problem
Then he should be communicating such to the client.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10373 posts
5588 upvotes
Paris
Drthorne wrote: I know scheduling the city hydro crew can be a pain for meter pulling so he can replace the panel, might be part of the problem
A pain like “a week Tuesday” not “a month tuesday”
Sr. Member
Apr 14, 2006
831 posts
515 upvotes
St Johns
If you paid them using credit card call your card issuer and and dispute it

Top