Automotive

Electronic noise detectors worthwhile?

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2020 2:48 pm
6 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1905 posts
2013 upvotes
The wireless ones are more useful but also more expensive.

The wired ones can be damaged more easily if you have to route the wires near hot or moving parts.
[OP]
Banned
Oct 17, 2020
217 posts
146 upvotes
billford wrote: The wireless ones are more useful but also more expensive.

The wired ones can be damaged more easily if you have to route the wires near hot or moving parts.
Isn't the sound quality better with wires going to mic?
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36265 posts
10486 upvotes
Ottawa
What are you expecting to hear?
The suspension will make noise and depending on speed and road surface and outside temperatures and rain, people in the car etc, the noises will differ.
What will be your standard?
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1905 posts
2013 upvotes
Tikwalus wrote: Isn't the sound quality better with wires going to mic?
I've tried both wired and wireless and have not noticed a difference in sound quality. But different companies make these and sound quality may differ.

Also, the wireless uses a 9 volt battery for each pickup, which adds to the cost.

If your just using it occasionally, the wired is fine, just be careful on how you route the wires.

If cost is not a factor and you need to connect them quickly, then get the wireless. Example, if your on the road and need to change the pickup spots quickly, the wireless would be better.
[OP]
Banned
Oct 17, 2020
217 posts
146 upvotes
billford wrote: I've tried both wired and wireless and have not noticed a difference in sound quality. But different companies make these and sound quality may differ.

Also, the wireless uses a 9 volt battery for each pickup, which adds to the cost.

If your just using it occasionally, the wired is fine, just be careful on how you route the wires.

If cost is not a factor and you need to connect them quickly, then get the wireless. Example, if your on the road and need to change the pickup spots quickly, the wireless would be better.
Good stuff!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15087 posts
2678 upvotes
For "professional results", remove the tires when performing the test.

Top