Computers & Electronics

Electronic photo frame - possible using an old computer monitor?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2018 12:46 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2004
3325 posts
240 upvotes
Mississauga

Electronic photo frame - possible using an old computer monitor?

I have a young family and have thousands of pictures from various vacations over the years which I'd love to show on a screen in the house.

What would you guys say would be the easiest way to cast them on a home monitor for a non-techie person? I see see decent / great frame on amazon but they biggest one is only 15" and costs between $250-300. The price point doesn't bother me but the size does. I'd love to have a large 24" frame!

Thanks in advance!
12 replies
Feb 26, 2011
945 posts
1015 upvotes
Calgary
Android box and slideshow mode
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2004
3325 posts
240 upvotes
Mississauga
jwslam wrote: Android box and slideshow mode
Hey there. Can you point me to a site on the web you'd suggest as a good place to research and learn about this? Thanks!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4278 posts
2596 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ohboiya wrote: I have a young family and have thousands of pictures from various vacations over the years which I'd love to show on a screen in the house.

What would you guys say would be the easiest way to cast them on a home monitor for a non-techie person? I see see decent / great frame on amazon but they biggest one is only 15" and costs between $250-300. The price point doesn't bother me but the size does. I'd love to have a large 24" frame!

Thanks in advance!
Just buy a nice 32" TV for under $200 and put all the Videos and pictures on a thumb drive. Make sure the TV has a USB connection on it. Pop in the USB and let it go as a slideshow, as most TV's allow picture and video slide show.

Or better yet, see if you can get a SmartTV for that price, and do same method as above. Where to put the TV? Wall mount it! And make sure there is an electrical outlet behind the TV so you can easily plug in the power cord.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2004
3325 posts
240 upvotes
Mississauga
jwslam wrote: 1) Buy an android box. Something like this
https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... ndroid+box

2) Connect it to the monitor; usually this is some HDMI connection but I'm sure there's adapters for older monitors

3) Use an app like this
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/make-your-a ... oto-frame/
That sounds super simple. But how do I get the photos and videos onto the "box"?
Feb 26, 2011
945 posts
1015 upvotes
Calgary
USB flash card, SD card, or through some cloud app i.e. dropbox or google photos.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2004
3325 posts
240 upvotes
Mississauga
Very cool. This may be the more economical solution as my spare screen may not actually be working. Might be cheaper to buy a TV than another monitor and an Android Box!
lamboman wrote: Just buy a nice 32" TV for under $200 and put all the Videos and pictures on a thumb drive. Make sure the TV has a USB connection on it. Pop in the USB and let it go as a slideshow, as most TV's allow picture and video slide show.

Or better yet, see if you can get a SmartTV for that price, and do same method as above. Where to put the TV? Wall mount it! And make sure there is an electrical outlet behind the TV so you can easily plug in the power cord.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2004
3325 posts
240 upvotes
Mississauga
lamboman wrote: Just buy a nice 32" TV for under $200 and put all the Videos and pictures on a thumb drive. Make sure the TV has a USB connection on it. Pop in the USB and let it go as a slideshow, as most TV's allow picture and video slide show.

Question. Does 720p vs 1080p matter for the primary purpose I've already noted? There's a Vizio @ Costco for under $200!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4278 posts
2596 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ohboiya wrote: Question. Does 720p vs 1080p matter for the primary purpose I've already noted? There's a Vizio @ Costco for under $200!
Personally, it wouldn't matter unless you shoot video at 1080/30fps? But I'd just get a 720p TV instead. Better yet take your photo's on a USB to Costco and try it out on the display TV's?
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1697 posts
2157 upvotes
BC
Get a Chromecast for $45 and connect it to one of your HDMI ports on your HDTV.

Sign up for Google Photos (free option on your Google Account) and create an album of your photos you want to project on your screen and upload the photos to the Google Photos Album, or just install the Google Photos app on your PC and let it auto sync all your photos on your hard drive to the Google Photos cloud storage.

Using Google Home App on your phone/tablet that you configure your Chromecast with, set the Chromecast home screen to your Google album you want to display. Now, whenever you want to display your pictures, just set your TV input to the Chromecast and let it randomly play a slideshow from the Google Photos Album on the cloud.

By the way, Chromecast has lots of other uses like streaming YouTube, TubiTV, TuneIn Radio, Terrarium TV, and lots of other content from the web on the TV.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2807 upvotes
Old computer monitors are dirt cheap compared to even a really cheap TV, so this is a good use for them. A small Android box can be had for as little as $30 and would do the job just fine. You can run any Android slideshow app. But a Chromecast would be even simpler. Only thing is that the Chromecast needs an HDMI input on the monitor, and an old computer monitor might not have one. But I use a Chromecast on an old VGA monitor with the addition of a cheap HDMI-VGA adapter (this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HDMI-to ... 95713.html).
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3914 posts
1378 upvotes
Chromecast + any screen will be the easiest way to go and easy to maintain with new pictures, should you decide to mount it on a wall. You'll never really need to go behind it for maintenance.

You can in theory buy a regular glass frame, rip apart the monitor and stick it in the frame for a more clean look.

I use the chromecast as ambient art when guest come over its very nice and has lots of other uses.