Automotive

Electronic Rust Protection, how to explain....

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2019 9:14 pm
[OP]
Oct 15, 2017
430 posts
297 upvotes
Canada

Electronic Rust Protection, how to explain....

A friend offered to install this for free on my car, but I declined and said I don't think it works. He said it does work because he has seen it work. When I asked him for specifics he said a friend showed him their car with one of these electronic modules installed and the car had no rust. I'm not a scientist, but I find it difficult to understand how anyone could claim that something like electronic rust protection works after seeing one car. How do I convince them electronic rust protection modules don't work?
20 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28942 posts
9463 upvotes
LOL he has "seen it work" :lol:

Also you don't need to convince them, if it's your car just tell them you don't want that shit. End of.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1778 posts
830 upvotes
Ontario
Sink your car in the lake and it might work a little bit ;)
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16326 posts
5076 upvotes
London
IcarusLSC wrote: Sink your car in the lake and it might work a little bit ;)
Ever see it work on a Lakeus or Sea63 ?
Oct 1, 2009
547 posts
236 upvotes
West coast
Unless you're concerned about your alternator's loading, you're getting for free so what's the big deal? Is it your time that you feel will be wasted? Is this really a friend it just an acquaintance?
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16326 posts
5076 upvotes
London
dsweetlou wrote: A friend offered to install this for free on my car, but I declined and said I don't think it works. He said it does work because he has seen it work. When I asked him for specifics he said a friend showed him their car with one of these electronic modules installed and the car had no rust. I'm not a scientist, but I find it difficult to understand how anyone could claim that something like electronic rust protection works after seeing one car. How do I convince them electronic rust protection modules don't work?
An actual test run by a professional lab
https://ecclesautoservice.ca/do-electro ... tors-work/

No rust protection vs electronic rust protection
Tl:dr using electronic rust protection is the same as doing nothing

Last edited by l69norm on Oct 21st, 2019 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18889 posts
6915 upvotes
Toronto
All of these devices are gimmicks. Way to line the dealer pockets.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1752 posts
1644 upvotes
Toronto
Waste of money

Get traditional semi-wet rust proofing spray if you're concerned.

Take your car through the car wash every now and again, and pay for the underbody wash.

Try not to drive your car daily in the salt / snow then park in your garage at night.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Dec 30, 2016
315 posts
273 upvotes
This is a thing? Interesting. I wonder if people stop to think about what they're being sold or if the manipulation of worry/fear sales tactics is really that strong.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11907 posts
1693 upvotes
Toronto
The real question is why is OP's friend offering to install this for free?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35633 posts
21691 upvotes
Center of Universe
x3fann wrote: This is a thing? Interesting. I wonder if people stop to think about what they're being sold or if the manipulation of worry/fear sales tactics is really that strong.
Sales: it's only $1 a day, less than a coffee for the duration of your 10yr finance
Customer: ok :)
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2305 posts
993 upvotes
Hometown
Not for nothing but I found one on the used 09 Cobalt I bought.... I just left it hooked up. It did NOT stop the usual rocker panel rust, not even a little bit.

When I replace the car in the very near future I want to find the manufacturer of the unit and post some pictures of the body cancer on the car on their website as a TRUE testimonial LOL.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18659 posts
2389 upvotes
Woodbridge
Like I said fear is a powerful tool.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1122 posts
496 upvotes
York Region
They still sell this crap? What a joke. Not only is it a scam, it is straight up BS.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16268 posts
17748 upvotes
Oakville
dsweetlou wrote: A friend offered to install this for free on my car, but I declined and said I don't think it works. He said it does work because he has seen it work. When I asked him for specifics he said a friend showed him their car with one of these electronic modules installed and the car had no rust. I'm not a scientist, but I find it difficult to understand how anyone could claim that something like electronic rust protection works after seeing one car. How do I convince them electronic rust protection modules don't work?
It doesn't work. Why is he giving it to your for free?
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5776 posts
2312 upvotes
Debtario
Buy this $1000 snake oil dispenser and installation is free!
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Oct 2, 2017
744 posts
523 upvotes
2 of the used cars I bought had these gadgets installed in them. I've heard they are useless but neither had rust on them either so I just kept it there.

Should you pay money to install one? nope. Should you remove it if it's there? I wouldn't. Infact buying a used car with one of these contraptions kind of shows the original owner cared about the car in a twisted sort of way
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded