Hot Deals

[Electronics for Less Canada] JBL Bar 9.1 Dolby Atmos Soundbar Sale & Price Match Oppertunity ($1299 to $1049/$999)

[OP]
Sr. Member
Dec 23, 2006
755 posts
159 upvotes
Montreal

JBL Bar 9.1 Dolby Atmos Soundbar Sale & Price Match Oppertunity ($1299 to $1049/$999)

Deal Link:
Expiry:
February 11, 2021
Retailer:
Electronics for Less Canada
The JBL Bar 9.1 MSRP of $1299.99 is fairly well controlled by JBL. It has been as low as $950 (historical low) but is now on sale at most retailers (BestBuy, Amazon, The Brick, etc.) for $1049.99 which is a good price for a good high-end soundbar if you're in the market for one.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/jb ... r/14610710

https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/reviews/jbl/bar-9-1

I was able to price match at EFLC for an additional 5% deduction. And then I benefitted for another %10 savings because I am in Quebec and they didn't charge the 10% PST. $1049.99 all in.

https://www.electronicsforless.ca/jbl-b ... 10905.html

Good luck and happy hunting!
_______________________________
Always looking for a great deal! :twisted:
24 replies
Member
Aug 28, 2013
476 posts
255 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Ohlias wrote: The JBL Bar 9.1 MSRP of $1299.99 is fairly well controlled by JBL. It has been as low as $950 (historical low) but is now on sale at most retailers (BestBuy, Amazon, The Brick, etc.) for $1049.99 which is a good price for a good high-end soundbar if you're in the market for one.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/jb ... r/14610710

https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/reviews/jbl/bar-9-1

I was able to price match at EFLC for an additional 5% deduction. And then I benefitted for another %10 savings because I am in Quebec and they didn't charge the 10% PST. $1049.99 all in.

https://www.electronicsforless.ca/jbl-b ... 10905.html

Good luck and happy hunting!
For teachers this place offers an additional discount I think.
Sr. Member
Nov 15, 2020
657 posts
1182 upvotes
Seems nice but I personally just don't like the idea of having to keep the surround speakers plugged into the soundbar to charge and then have to move them back when watching a movie or playing a game. It would be much nice I think if the surrounds were connected to the wireless subwoofer in my opinion so you wouldn't have to worry about charging and moving them around always.
Member
Oct 30, 2019
233 posts
437 upvotes
I have this soundbar. The subwoofer included shakes the whole house, and thats not even at max setting.
Member
Sep 19, 2005
263 posts
30 upvotes
The surrounds can be powered /charged by USB if you don't want to dock back to the main soundbar.

Issues with soundbar:
- audio sometimes drops with bitstream audio (DTS/Atmos) with my nVidia Shield. Sounds like stuttering when the audio clips/drops intermittently. Audio is fine if source is PCM/Dolby Surround.
- I don't know if the audio stutter is due to my Shield, and the soundbar is sensitive to synchronization with the playback device. This never happened when the shield was connected to my receiver and I used passive speakers. Sometimes pausing the movie and/or skipping forward/backward resolves the stuttering.
- dialogue clarity can be hit or miss. I find Atmos soundtracks to be clear, but with non-Atmos it can sometimes be muffled
- Limited audio adjustments. There are some enhancements you can change with button presses, but it doesn't have full EQ control via remote or app.
- may take a few tries to calibrate the system as it sometimes fails
- rear speakers sometimes do not turn on automatically with soundbar. May need to manually turn them on.
Jr. Member
Jul 10, 2020
124 posts
149 upvotes
How do these new Dolby Atmos sound bars compare to a 12 year old 5.1 Surround sound system (Bought for $499 way back in the day), is it worth upgrading?
I write an investing blog
Member
User avatar
Jan 18, 2005
269 posts
57 upvotes
Waterloo
Lots of reviews online about the usual suspects, LG, Sony, Samsung. All seem to be mixed between glowing and not worth the premium lol. I'm in the market for one myself and trying to decide between the HW-Q950T and LG SN11RG. I have a CX so have been leaning towards the LG. Been lots of complaints about audio dropouts and other weird stuff with the Samsung which may or may not have been addressed with a firmware update.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4024 posts
1619 upvotes
Isn't it better to wait for HDMI 2.1 soundbars if you have an HDMI 2.1 capable TV?

And would this fit well under a CX? I hate how the CX stand is so low.....
Member
User avatar
Jan 18, 2005
269 posts
57 upvotes
Waterloo
If you aren't doing pass through for video I don't think that matters much? I have all my video sources going direct to the TV inputs and using ARC for audio to my receiver.
Jr. Member
Nov 11, 2013
161 posts
43 upvotes
London
Squirrel99 wrote: Isn't it better to wait for HDMI 2.1 soundbars if you have an HDMI 2.1 capable TV?

And would this fit well under a CX? I hate how the CX stand is so low.....
Have cx as well... wondering the same. Was between this or Sonos arc
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4024 posts
1619 upvotes
LttlScamp wrote: If you aren't doing pass through for video I don't think that matters much? I have all my video sources going direct to the TV inputs and using ARC for audio to my receiver.
Yea, it's probably not an issue for most people
Member
Feb 14, 2011
421 posts
278 upvotes
Canada
LttlScamp wrote: Lots of reviews online about the usual suspects, LG, Sony, Samsung. All seem to be mixed between glowing and not worth the premium lol. I'm in the market for one myself and trying to decide between the HW-Q950T and LG SN11RG. I have a CX so have been leaning towards the LG. Been lots of complaints about audio dropouts and other weird stuff with the Samsung which may or may not have been addressed with a firmware update.
11RG the rears constantly dropped out, took it back. 950T still has audio dropouts, but its somewhat liveable so kept it.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Dec 23, 2006
755 posts
159 upvotes
Montreal
Sneakarus wrote: how does this bar compare to Sonos Arc?
From my research, it is the best Atmos soundbar at this price point that includes rear satellites. For me, it was essential that they be truly wireless (i.e. they don't need to be plugged in for power). My father bought this late last year. He lent it to me and I demoed it. Love the integration with my LG GX OLED. Turn on the TV, the bar turns on (guess this is through eARC/CEC). I will most likely use this in standard sound bar configuration most of the time when watching TV. But when I want to watch a movie, bust out the satellites and have full ATMOS/5.1 surround.

For those of you that prefer satellites that are plugged in, they have micro USB and can be tethered to a wall outlet.

My father doesn't have any drop out signal issues with the car or the satellites (a 2016 LG LED TV through ARC). I did not have any issues for the few hours I tried it out. Biggest drawback and indicated in all reviews/user testimonials is the lack of a dedicated App (you can apparently get it set up with Google) and lack of an EQ (you can do a few levels of base, etc, but not a real EQ).

check out Rtings for the review.

Not sure why the downvote. Price is good for this item. Item is well reviewed. I thought my post was informative. Guess I'll have to try harder next time... ;)

Stay safe everyone.
_______________________________
Always looking for a great deal! :twisted:
Newbie
Feb 2, 2007
90 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa
I returned my Arc setup (with sub and rears) due to the syncing issues driving me crazy. I am sure most of (if not all) of the Arc's issues can be fixed by firmware but they are too slow to fix them for the price the unit costs (IMO).

Purchased this JBL from Costco at the same sale price - will give it a shot. Considering it's less than half the price of the Sonos setup, I think it's a good deal. It's not perfect but no soundbar out there is. Was going to wait for the Klipsch Cinema 1200 like a ton of other people but gave up.
Member
User avatar
Aug 13, 2020
376 posts
1266 upvotes
LookingForStuffNow wrote: How do these new Dolby Atmos sound bars compare to a 12 year old 5.1 Surround sound system (Bought for $499 way back in the day), is it worth upgrading?
I could use some advice from my fellow RFD Clan as well please :)

After the 90's, I got rid of my old Amp/Tuner/Turntable and switched to $10 - $100 computer speakers and a $199 LG Blueray/Amp/5.1 Combo for our 1080P TV.

We love music and youtube and I've never really experienced a true 5.1 (I guess I have limited sources or the 5.1 on the LG combo is really bad.) We prefer to avoid Wireless as we can run wires easily.

Where should we start? And what's a good budget?

Thank you !
Newbie
Nov 5, 2019
88 posts
98 upvotes
Ohlias wrote: From my research, it is the best Atmos soundbar at this price point that includes rear satellites. For me, it was essential that they be truly wireless (i.e. they don't need to be plugged in for power). My father bought this late last year. He lent it to me and I demoed it. Love the integration with my LG GX OLED. Turn on the TV, the bar turns on (guess this is through eARC/CEC). I will most likely use this in standard sound bar configuration most of the time when watching TV. But when I want to watch a movie, bust out the satellites and have full ATMOS/5.1 surround.

For those of you that prefer satellites that are plugged in, they have micro USB and can be tethered to a wall outlet.

My father doesn't have any drop out signal issues with the car or the satellites (a 2016 LG LED TV through ARC). I did not have any issues for the few hours I tried it out. Biggest drawback and indicated in all reviews/user testimonials is the lack of a dedicated App (you can apparently get it set up with Google) and lack of an EQ (you can do a few levels of base, etc, but not a real EQ).

check out Rtings for the review.

Not sure why the downvote. Price is good for this item. Item is well reviewed. I thought my post was informative. Guess I'll have to try harder next time... ;)

Stay safe everyone.
Unfortunately Atmos soundbars get downvotes, because they are expensive, audio snobs hate soundbars, and Atmos snobs don’t think they can do Atmos.

Honestly don’t worry about it. You suggested a decent system for a decent price (relatively).
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 6, 2003
14786 posts
6032 upvotes
Ottawa
Lebon1 wrote: Unfortunately Atmos soundbars get downvotes, because they are expensive, audio snobs hate soundbars, and Atmos snobs don’t think they can do Atmos.

Honestly don’t worry about it. You suggested a decent system for a decent price (relatively).
yup. I'm surprised somebody hasn't posted "You can buy separate speakers that sound way better for a fraction of the cost" yet.

On RFD, expensive soundbars will always get downvotes. That is par for the course
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.

Top