• Last Updated:
  • Mar 15th, 2021 7:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3586 posts
1852 upvotes

Elliptical vs Exercise Bike for getting leaner

I do some weightlifting but I also want to get leaner so I figure I should start doing more cardio. I like to run outside in the summer but when it's cold or rainy I think it's a good idea to be able to do some cardio indoors as well.

Just wondering what you guys think is more effective, the elliptical or the exercise bike? Or does it not really matter? I wasn't sure if one did more "work" than the other in the same time being spent on it.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of money and there's definitely way less used equipment available on Kijiji/FB Marketplace compared to pre-pandemic. So I was thinking of going with either of these low cost options.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B002R8CPRY/ref ... 2438978011
https://www.amazon.ca/XTERRA-Fitness-FB ... 201&sr=1-5

Thoughts?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3124 posts
595 upvotes
Toronto
Doesn't matter. Maybe choose the one you will enjoy more / not get bored of.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
5506 posts
1247 upvotes
rural ontario
Kiraly wrote: Have you spent much time on an elliptical machine? I don't like them at all. The movement feels very unnatural. Exercise bike all the way for me.
There is more then one type. I've tried a few at the gym (when I used to go). There is a up and down motion one (circular?) that makes me ill and seems unnatural movement, there is a back and forth one that I liked.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
14628 posts
4749 upvotes
GTA
The best choice is the one you will use the most.

Lifting weights will make you lean out too with a proper diet
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
3460 posts
5213 upvotes
Calories in < Calories out.

Whatever you want to do for your cardio doesn't really matter. Choose what you'll enjoy more. Don't look at cardio as the way to get leaner, think of it primarily as exercising your heart and lungs. Its main purpose is to work and strengthen some extremely important organs. It just burns a little more calories for that hour or whatever that you're exerting yourself. Don't rely on it to be the fat burner though.

Lifting weights will help build muscle, and the more you have the more energy your body requires for maintenance. So your body will burn more calories at rest. Having more muscle on your body is actually more effective at burning fat overall than cardio, since it continues to burn more energy 24/7, even when you're not exercising.

Anyway, the way to get leaner is to be in a caloric deficit to burn off excess fat. That's just eating less than you need for maintenance. The more you exercise, and the more muscle you have, the higher your maintenance will be. Just make sure the amount of calories you take in, is less than the calories you've expelled throughout the day and you'll get leaner. Since it seems you're pretty active, I'd get whatever machine you'll have more fun with, and focus more on your diet.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
10751 posts
4100 upvotes
I wouldn't waste my money on those machines. You can get your cardio in by skipping (with or without a rope) and jumping jacks
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6547 posts
5620 upvotes
one that you'll use the most. I used to run regularly (~30km a week) but my joints are pretty bad so i stopped years ago and switched to elliptical where i get much of the cardio of running without the impact and if you want, you can use your arms too to work more muscle group

with closure of gyms and i didn't want an elliptical in my house (too much waste of space and i would likely hit ceiling in basement) so i got a spin bike very recently and doing peloton. I think since my running days, this is the most discipline and push i've had doing cardio and pushing. but i still think i get more of a workout on elliptical because i'm moving more of my body but i find the classes really help me make most of my cardio workout on the spin bike with peloton

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)