• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2020 4:44 pm
[OP]
Jan 27, 2010
75 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto

Eltor Pseudoephedrine - discontinued?

I used to be able to get Eltor Pseudoephedrine at Walmart or RC Superstore but for 4-5 months now no one has it. Used to be told "it's on back order", but now I'm being told by multiple places "we can't get it anymore".

I'm assuming it's been discontinued, but no one can confirm.

Has anyone been able to purchase any recently? As far as I know it's the only over the counter Pseudoephedrine w/o added meds you can get in Canada.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1623 posts
529 upvotes
Toronto
bluebizzer wrote: I used to be able to get Eltor Pseudoephedrine at Walmart or RC Superstore but for 4-5 months now no one has it. Used to be told "it's on back order", but now I'm being told by multiple places "we can't get it anymore".

I'm assuming it's been discontinued, but no one can confirm.

Has anyone been able to purchase any recently? As far as I know it's the only over the counter Pseudoephedrine w/o added meds you can get in Canada.
https://health-products.canada.ca/lnhpd ... e=02103109
According to that, it's still being marketed. I'm 99% certain it still exists.
Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus Tuf OC RTX 3090 | G.Skill Ripjaws 48GB DDR4-2666 | CM StormTrooper | 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 + NVMe 970 Pro 512GB | ASRock X99 Extreme4
| Noctua NH-D15 | ASUS PG27UQ + Dell P2715Q
[OP]
Jan 27, 2010
75 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Well thanks for finding that.

Who knows why they suddenly can't get it then. Maybe a shortage because of Covid. Oh well.
Sep 4, 2020
32 posts
11 upvotes
The product listing for Eltor on my supplier's website (Mckesson) says discontinued (This product is discontinued by the manufacturer.
). However, you may want to email Sanofi Aventis to confirm.

You could ask your Pharmacist for an alternative, such as the immediate release pseudoephedrine, which is still available.
[OP]
Jan 27, 2010
75 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
JudyCatPerson wrote: You could ask your Pharmacist for an alternative, such as the immediate release pseudoephedrine, which is still available.
Is that Eltor brand as well?

Thanks for the info. :)
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
15593 posts
3470 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Just get them from fitness stores. Assuming Ec stack?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13733 posts
2436 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Is this stuff used for making methamphetamine?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Jun 19, 2017
573 posts
840 upvotes
Was just trying to track down some Eltor for my wife and ran into the same problem. That's how I found this thread.

Finally found some yesterday at the Shoppers Drug Mart at Park Lawn and Lakeshore!
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
1713 posts
874 upvotes
Montreal
Becks wrote: Is this stuff used for making methamphetamine?
I believe the non-pseudo stuff is. Main controversy with pseudoephedrine is that some people take it to suppress appetite to lose weight and used to be marketed as such a long time ago. Some people used it in combination with caffeine for energy or workout purposes, which you'll hear referred as EC stack or ECA stack which simply adds a baby/everyday amount, 81mg, of aspirine to protect from potential heart issues.

It's intended use is sinus issues, and is very good at that, often combine with allergy meds (Claritin-D, Allegra-D), side effect of being the opposite of drowsy helps a lot, I know during my allergies the pseudoephedrine makes me feel less knocked out from the allergies and headachy from sinus issues etc

phenylephedrine is often substitute used, but it has 0 effect on my sinuses
Dec 23, 2020
1 posts
I always got it from London Drugs. When I last asked for it a week ago, they said it was discontinued but I don’t know if it was discontinued just in store or by the manufacturer. I was offered something similar at half the strength and twice the price. I didn’t bother. Don’t need to breath through my nose again anyway.
Sep 8, 2020
5 posts
1 upvote
Just buy ephedrine from a healthfood store, it's available in 8mg tablets