Entertainment

Elvis (Baz Luhrmann rock 'n' roll biopic free screening TO & Vancouver Jan 8 2023)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2023 6:47 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
15368 posts
8274 upvotes
Toronto

Elvis (Baz Luhrmann rock 'n' roll biopic free screening TO & Vancouver Jan 8 2023)

A few weeks back there was a short list for the Elvis role (IMO MIles Teller looked the most like Elvis)
Now Luhrmann has gone for the least famous candidate

https://deadline.com/2019/07/austin-but ... 202646290/
Last edited by jenviea on Jan 8th, 2023 6:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
9 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
15368 posts
8274 upvotes
Toronto

Oh brother, is the movie actually called Taking Care of Business?

[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
15368 posts
8274 upvotes
Toronto
Thankfully it's not called Taking Care of Business

Looks like Hanks has taken the prosthetics route for authenticity but who is so familiar with the Colonel that him not being portrayed a bit heavy set would be a deal breaker
That's a long trailer and I think I've seen the whole story now
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
15368 posts
8274 upvotes
Toronto
Elvis is in the streaming building (tho' it seems RFD isn't interested)
Nov 15, 2004
473 posts
187 upvotes
Watched it in the theatre. Though stylized like Moulin Rouge and Butler’s performance was admirable, the story was lackluster and gotta say one of my least favourite Tom Hank roles - prosthetics were off-putting and his character is a much less likable Jim Broadbent’s Harold from MR (granted he’s not supposed to be nice). Overall a meh movie.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2014
1092 posts
1378 upvotes
Westmount, QC
doubloonie wrote: Watched it in the theatre. Though stylized like Moulin Rouge and Butler’s performance was admirable, the story was lackluster and gotta say one of my least favourite Tom Hank roles - prosthetics were off-putting and his character is a much less likable Jim Broadbent’s Harold from MR (granted he’s not supposed to be nice). Overall a meh movie.
I watched it the other day but I still have about 30 min or so to go and I'm in no hurry. Like you, I think Butler's performance as Elvis is top notch and certainly deserves accolades and even some awards for it. The only other thing I saw from Austin was The Shannara Chronicles so I really wasn't expecting much from him, but kudos he did a great job. Unfortunately, the story is not engaging, and it didn't feel like is a biopic either. It felt like, at least to me, Elvis was a character in his story instead of being the person on who they made the movie, if it makes sense.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
15368 posts
8274 upvotes
Toronto
I didn't realize today's Elvis free screenings to mark the King's birthday fell on a Sunday - more convenient for the curious?
OY!
One screening 5 pm only, maybe not so convenient