Real Estate

Emergency lock replacement in a rental unit, Who pays?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 25th, 2018 7:51 pm
[OP]
Sep 23, 2017
94 posts
49 upvotes

Emergency lock replacement in a rental unit, Who pays?

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. We just had a fairly new experience with an emergency lock replacement in a house that we are renting in Toronto.

Short story: went out with my son before his bedtime for a short walk, as we returned home we could not get back in as the deadbolt was stuck and the key did not turn. To make things even easier our land lord lives abroad. So as it was getting late we had no other choice but to call an emergency lock smith, got dinged with a pretty nice bill for it being a late Saturday evening, I did not get a chance to even notify him before going ahead with this.

We are going to contact the landlord shortly, but wondering if it's landlords responsibility to reimburse us?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4395 posts
743 upvotes
Did he also need to replace the lock/deadbolt or just unlock the door?

No other way to get in like the garage or basement (if there are any)?

My personal logic would be if something happens then it's probably on you but if something needs maintenance or replacement then it's probably on him.
But I don't know to be honest.
[OP]
Sep 23, 2017
94 posts
49 upvotes
So unfortunately all windows and backyard door were closed. So front door was only access and locksmith had to drill out old lock and install new one.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4395 posts
743 upvotes
I would think he would at least owe for the replacement.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
3493 posts
1378 upvotes
Toronto
By the sounds of it the locksmith probably billed you for single line item (drill and replace). I would say it's landlord 100%.

If he didn't drill it and billed you as "unlock" with another line item "replace faulty lock" I could argue the bill would be split.
Dec 29, 2017
407 posts
445 upvotes
Pass bill to landlord, no questions.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19393 posts
17859 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
landlord will have to swallow that.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
20610 posts
4336 upvotes
Toronto
The lock provided wasn't in good order. That's the landlord's problem, not yours.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20728 posts
14186 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Piro21 wrote: The lock provided wasn't in good order. That's the landlord's problem, not yours.
That's as long as the landlord is reasonable and doesn't question renter by saying that they broke the lock. I would get an statement from the locksmith stating that the lock didn't break due to abuse from the renter (ie. key wasn't broken in the lock).