Toronto > Maldives, RT $1262 [Oct/Nov,Jan-April 2015]

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2014 9:06 pm
Deal Addict
May 9, 2008
1532 posts
188 upvotes
Barrie
The Holiday Inn there isn't a bad price, and does not require seaplane transfer...

If you've got some IHG points kicking around, it could be good use of them. I've been considering going for a while...might pull the trigger, but not using these flights.
Amex SPG, MR, and Aeroplan offers help me travel!
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1650 posts
350 upvotes
the one we went, was $5k USD / night...one of the top rated island, everything was private. No regrets.
Oct 25, 2006
266 posts
63 upvotes
bsobaid wrote:
Oct 14th, 2014 5:04 pm
you meant $1200 and not $120 ??
$1200-2500 is the average price for a water bungalow room, if you have a beach villa or garden villa they start around $300, depending on the island and resort.
Jan 5, 2010
22 posts
1 upvote
The ticket price is very cheap in my opinion.

Went to Maldives 4 years ago and it was such an amazing experience.

The water Villa was approx $1,000 per night and the beach Villa was approx $500 per night at Angsana Velavaru.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6156 posts
876 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Nice that you get to ride the A380. Didn't know they come to Pearson.

I think Bora Bora is better than Maldives if you want more seclusion during your vacation, but the price is of course quite a bit more.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Dec 11, 2009
217 posts
52 upvotes
Brampton
went for honeymoon 3.5 years ago
AMAZING
If you ever get the chance to go, DO IT.

We stayed at one of the all inclusive Diamonds resorts (Hotel chain from Italy)

It rained for 15mintues while we napped, the whole week we were there :)

Did the 2.5 day layover in Dubai on the way home also. definitely do this if you fly Emirates.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
1292 posts
431 upvotes
No troll, but what's amazing about maldives, pretty water, green hills ?(this what I've seen in the pics).What sort of unique things does it offer?
Dec 11, 2009
217 posts
52 upvotes
Brampton
I RFD wrote:
Oct 15th, 2014 10:20 am
No troll, but what's amazing about maldives, pretty water, green hills ?(this what I've seen in the pics).What sort of unique things does it offer?
Some of the best snorkeling and scuba in the world.
Remote & private as it gets, a typical resort is it's own small island.

No hills at all!
LOL - the country's highest point is 2.4m above sea level
Nov 15, 2011
156 posts
101 upvotes
NORTH YORK
When i went to the maldives we flew emirates. you should call to book vs. online. If your layover in Dubai is over 8hrs (ie. 8.0hr counts) then they will or used to put you up in a hotel for the night. its the millenium by the airport. Its quite basic, BUT you can freshen up/take a nap or go do a night tour of the city and they will feed you for free. You should also check if a visa is required to leave the airport for canadians. When i went it wasn't necessary but after that Cdn govt blocked Emirates from landing more planes in canada, Dubai govt enforced a visa.

As for staying on the cheap in Maldives.. you can only do it if you stay on a non-resort islands where the ferries go and where locals live. They will have guest houses that you can stay at, but being a muslim island, no booze, limited restos, and no PORK. you wont be able to go to visit a resort island with a day pass. dont stay on Male. Its basically the city, no beaches, etc.. if you're going to go to the maldives, bite the bullet and stay at a resort. Otherwise, its not worth the 24hr travel time.

If you stay on a resort, its going to be $$$. Everthing is imported, but they do have booze and pork :) and its going to be the most pristine waters..
The price of waterbungalows is going to be based on hi/low season. When we went in nov a water bungalow was apporx 500 a night vs bora bora which was like 800. But i was looking in feb 2015, and that same water bungalow is like 900 (its been 3 yrs though).
Food is going to be $$$. our breakie was included but i think it was 50$ buffet. The dinner buffet on the island was 120$. hamburger/fries was 25$? bottle of water was like 5$. We got 2 btls free daily.

And when you're on a resort, you can't leave the island to go to the city or another island to eat. Not unless you got >100$ just for airplane taxi or jetboat taxi.

Another option is to live on a boat. We stayed 7 nights on a catamaran. It is the best way to see the maldives cause you go to uninhabited islands and the snorkelling is unbeatable. But your stuck eating what the cook makes, which initially was fine but very quickly got bored of..
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
1292 posts
431 upvotes
thats funny about the hills, mustve been looking at the wrong pics haha
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2542 posts
743 upvotes
Kingston
Not to threadcrap but for this price I'd rather spend a fraction of the amount, fly to Panama and stay on Bocas del Toro with amazing snorkelling and you can pick a water taxi and find your own secluded beach for around $20 where you can pick wild pineapples and watch poison arrow frogs in the trees, when you get bored, fly over to Boquette and stay on an extinct volcano in a coffee plantation. Eat fresh seafood (ie wait 20 mins while your waiter catches your fish) and pay less than $15 for it before going back to your hotel built on stilts in the water The place is affordable enough to go every year too and it's only a few hours away. It may not have the snob value of other places but it's certainly beautiful and all of the above would cost about $2k (or less) including flights for 10 days to 2 weeks depending on where you stay.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2835 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
sircool wrote:
Oct 14th, 2014 6:29 pm
the one we went, was $5k USD / night...one of the top rated island, everything was private. No regrets.
5K USD per night? this is the normal price for a week or two long family vacations in mexico at an average/above average resort all in.

thats crazy and your here looking for cheap deals in walmart?
Nov 15, 2011
156 posts
101 upvotes
NORTH YORK
bocas del toro looks nice :)

i think for north americans, maldives or bora bora is a big, big deal because it takes so long to get to; but for europeans its like going to the carribean for us. For europeans its closer than going to the carribean.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2006
2721 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto
sleep at the beach for free, no?
Kijiji links aren't permitted in signatures. Only links to our BST forum.
Oct 25, 2006
266 posts
63 upvotes
number8888 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2014 10:02 am
Nice that you get to ride the A380. Didn't know they come to Pearson.

I think Bora Bora is better than Maldives if you want more seclusion during your vacation, but the price is of course quite a bit more.
Been to both. Stayed at 4 seasons at Bora Bora. Water bungalow was nice with glass floors to see the water below you, but other than that, it's one of the most boring resorts I've stayed in. Maldives is much better, scuba diving is 10x better, unless you head up to Rangirora.

As for Panama, it's ok. There is a reason why it's so much cheaper.