• Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2021 12:50 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6927 posts
6052 upvotes

Empire Quay House - 162 Queens Quay

Just saw the prices for Empire Quay and it seems pretty expensive compared to 28 Eastern or 199 Church

1 bdrm starting at 600k at ~420sqft... seems really high when 199 Church for similar sqft at 420 sqft 1BD for $620k

the deposit structure is better (15% by 540 days), but seems way overpriced vs say even 199 Church
WhatsApp Image 2020-07-22 at 2.24.17 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-07-22 at 2.24.17 PM (3).jpeg
Last edited by StatsGuy on Jul 22nd, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
98 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
3617 posts
3324 upvotes
Toronto
Like stonks it will always go up

Buy buy buy
To the moon
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
18676 posts
16879 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Builder is out of touch. Not a fan of Empire anyways.
Jul 15, 2020
69 posts
51 upvotes
empire usually builds higher quality condos no? i have such impression with their name & projects,,
Oct 31, 2019
432 posts
559 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Just saw the prices for Empire Quay and it seems pretty expensive compared to 28 Eastern or 199 Church

1 bdrm starting at 600k at ~420sqft... seems really high when 199 Church for similar sqft at 420 sqft 1BD for $620k

the deposit structure is better (15% by 540 days), but seems way overpriced vs say even 199 Church

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-22 at 2.24.17 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-07-22 at 2.24.17 PM (3).jpeg
The lakefront's considered a better location though, right? I'd expect Queens Quay to be priced higher than anywhere east of Church and north of the Gardiner. I see needles all the time at Church St.....although tent cities seem to be appearing everywhere in the Toronto lately (apparently near the ferries too).
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6927 posts
6052 upvotes
VanByTheRiver wrote: The lakefront's considered a better location though, right? I'd expect Queens Quay to be priced higher than anywhere east of Church and north of the Gardiner. I see needles all the time at Church St.....although tent cities seem to be appearing everywhere in the Toronto lately (apparently near the ferries too).
I don't personally think queens quay to be a better location (unless you can see the water), it's not close to the subway or main part of DT or close to any amenities (currently)

A block from Eaton centre and subway and walking distance to Ryerson and UT means it's a better location imo
Oct 31, 2019
432 posts
559 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: I don't personally think queens quay to be a better location (unless you can see the water), it's not close to the subway or main part of DT or close to any amenities (currently)

A block from Eaton centre and subway and walking distance to Ryerson and UT means it's a better location imo
I'd actually agree with this. Walking along the lake is definitely nice but it's a huge hassle to get to any public transit from Jarvis and Queens Quay. Just crossing lakeshore over there is a PITA. They're building a new office building there though so anyone working there could walk to work.

Every time I've been in that area lately it's been insanely crowded too. Lots of new residential buildings there and I don't think there's much to do yet other than jog by the lake.

I'd still think it's be perceived as better than the other two locations though, and I think perception matters more to the investor-driven precon market.
Nov 10, 2017
859 posts
619 upvotes
Reasonable price.

10 minutes walk to St. Lawrence Market and few minutes walk future PATH (Sugar Wharf). Next to Daniels Waterfront (Geroge Brown, OCAD, Université de l'Ontario français). Across from Waterfront Innovation Center (WPP, Sunlife, MaRS), Future new Geroge Brown campus (The Arbour).

Waterfront Toronto Ultra Broadband Zone

to-internet.jpg

Bus Routes
aaa.png
Last edited by JosephB012 on Jul 23rd, 2020 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6927 posts
6052 upvotes
JosephB012 wrote: Reasonable price.

10 minutes walk to St. Lawrence Market and few minutes walk future PATH (Sugar Wharf). Next to Daniels Waterfront (Geroge Brown, OCAD, Université de l'Ontario français). Across from Waterfront Innovation Center (WPP, Sunlife, MaRS), Future new Geroge Brown campus (The Arbour).

Waterfront Toronto Ultra Broadband Zone

to-internet.jpg
How far of a walk to subway? 30-40mins or so? It takes around 25mins to walk from union to the corus building right now off memory

That's still pretty far from a subway station? And not walking distance to the main OCAD or UT or Ryerson
Nov 10, 2017
859 posts
619 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: How far of a walk to subway? 30-40mins or so? It takes around 25mins to walk from union to the corus building right now off memory

That's still pretty far from a subway station? And not walking distance to the main OCAD or UT or Ryerson

17 -18 minutes walking distance to Union Station according to Google Map. Not bad and is also good to your health. Buses are also available.

union station.png
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2018
2916 posts
5206 upvotes
Toronto
I'd consider this over 199 Church just because I know that 199 Church will be a student ghetto.

I do not like these investor-oriented condos. Corona proved to us how bad vacancy can get in these investor condos; owners do not want to live there and even renters prefer normal condos.

I also trust Empire making a more quality building than Centrecourt.
Called the bottom.
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
11836 posts
15247 upvotes
Toronto
3 beds in 891 sq ft seems ambitious
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2018
2916 posts
5206 upvotes
Toronto
sircheersa wrote: 3 beds in 891 sq ft seems ambitious
Anyone who buys more than a 2B/2B in a modern condo (more so in these newer precons) is foolish. You kick up your ticket price to astronomical levels that rival townhouses.

If you want a bigger condo, you have to go luxury like Shangri-la, as the 3Bs in these new condos are crammed and typically don’t have 3 bathrooms.

EDIT: I meant 3 bathrooms.
Last edited by CondoMan98 on Jul 23rd, 2020 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Called the bottom.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6927 posts
6052 upvotes
CondoMan98 wrote: I'd consider this over 199 Church just because I know that 199 Church will be a student ghetto.

I do not like these investor-oriented condos. Corona proved to us how bad vacancy can get in these investor condos; owners do not want to live there and even renters prefer normal condos.

I also trust Empire making a more quality building than Centrecourt.
That's what I'm considering, location wise I much prefer 199 church but entire building of students isn't my preferred building
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6927 posts
6052 upvotes
JosephB012 wrote: 17 -18 minutes walking distance to Union Station according to Google Map. Not bad and is also good to your health. Buses are also available.

union station.png
That walk just sucks in the winter (until the path is built to sugar wharf) . My friend tells me how crap it is all the time as he works in the corus building and takes go train to union
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2004
7318 posts
5287 upvotes
Toronto
Much better location. 28 Eastern is industrial.

and 199 Church is basically student housing

You can't build a condo just for investors.

those '2 bed' units have very little kitchen and living space. at 199 Church.
Full-time Realtor
Nov 10, 2017
859 posts
619 upvotes
There are many multi million dollars condo in this strip with the most expensive one i've seen so far, $8.8M at Tridel's Aqualuna.

8.9.png
Nov 10, 2017
859 posts
619 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: That walk just sucks in the winter (until the path is built to sugar wharf) . My friend tells me how crap it is all the time as he works in the corus building and takes go train to union
Buy one and rent it to your friend, save him from walking to the Union station
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2018
2916 posts
5206 upvotes
Toronto
oasis100 wrote: Much better location. 28 Eastern is industrial.

and 199 Church is basically student housing

You can't build a condo just for investors.

those '2 bed' units have very little kitchen and living space. at 199 Church.
A lost of respect for Centrecourt after they pulled that stunt with the Foresthill saying it would be $1K a foot in their marketing.

Now, I would never buy from them as they just hype their projects, cram in a tiny floorplans meant for greedy investors. Now, any smart investor would see that the breakeven point will be very high since these are priced to the moon. And I would refute anyone who says they are buying for capital gains, because then why are you buying a Centecourt investor project then! Face With Tears Of Joy

Pemberton’s Social > 199 Church by a mile.
Called the bottom.
Oct 31, 2019
432 posts
559 upvotes
JosephB012 wrote: 17 -18 minutes walking distance to Union Station according to Google Map. Not bad and is also good to your health. Buses are also available.

union station.png
Face With Tears Of Joy Don't think of it as a far walk, think of it as "good to your health" Face With Tears Of Joy

In all seriousness you become a sweaty wreck walking 18 minutes outdoors in the humid summer and the wind really carries near the lake in the winter.....I used to live near the lake and it can get crazy in January. The Sugar Wharf path connection will probably be life changing for anyone who lives/works there....if it ever gets built. Would make the walk much faster too - anyone who lives there knows that you probably spend about a quarter of the walk just waiting for traffic lights.