• Jun 1st, 2019 1:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2802 posts
2395 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Employee making up their own rules for no reason

Sometime I don't understand why some of the employee will make up their own rules, even the policy is black and right in front of them.
It happen to me before at Walmart, Canadian tire, SportChek, etc retail .

Today, is at Harvey's. I show her this "DIGITAL COUPON" on my phone, which is directly on Harverys web site.
She refuse to accept it, even it clearly said DIGITAL COUPON, Print it or display on the phone. She Insist they will only accept hard copy that come in the mail NOT digital copy or print out.
Because there is no way she can control each coupon only use once.

I was like what? Where it said coupon can only use once? it s Digital coupon, and it clearly said I can use it on my phone.
She ask the manager to come, the manager also told me they need hard copy, and will keep the coupon after accept it, so can only use once.
CAN'T THEY READ????

Bright side of RFD: 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
34 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18649 posts
6702 upvotes
Toronto
Call head office. Clearly the store is living in the past and have no clue.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16643 posts
6897 upvotes
To be fair, it does say "Valid at participating locations". The location you went to clearly does not want to participate in mobile / digital coupons.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2802 posts
2395 upvotes
Richmond Hill
carmaster wrote: Call head office. Clearly the store is living in the past and have no clue.
Not worth my trouble to call , but i think they are living in 90s,
Bright side of RFD: 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18649 posts
6702 upvotes
Toronto
TrevorK wrote: To be fair, it does say "Valid at participating locations". The location you went to clearly does not want to participate in mobile / digital coupons.
Ya but that is not fair. So people have to guess which locations are participating and which are not? I would call head office and check.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2669 posts
1336 upvotes
B.C.
For some reason some people like to make up an answer instead of ask for clarification if they don't know an answer.

Retail employees just say they don't carry a product if they don't know where it is, fast food employees won't ask how to enter a certain coupon if they don't know. Occasionally you'll have a manager that is deceptive on purpose and will try to not sell sale items or whatever - those ones are the worst since they don't see the value of keeping an existing customer.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2084 posts
1511 upvotes
cheapshopper wrote: Not worth my trouble to call , but i think they are living in 90s,
Maybe try social media. Nothing beats publicly embarrassing the company, if you want to try something simple.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16643 posts
6897 upvotes
carmaster wrote: Ya but that is not fair. So people have to guess which locations are participating and which are not? I would call head office and check.
I agree completely. I think that corporate should force ALL franchisee's to participate in their promotional offers. I should not have to drive around the city to find a Wendy's with a 99 cent Frosty, they should all have it if it's advertised as a nation-wide promo and advertised on sources like Twitter.

But I know that's not how it is - no matter how I feel. It's a fault of corporate to give that leeway, not the franchise owner.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1472 posts
2066 upvotes
West
cheapshopper wrote: Not worth my trouble to call , but i think they are living in 90s,
If it's worth your trouble to post your experience onto RFD, it's probably worth it to call.

You'll likely end up with some free coupons or a small gift card in the mail, is my guess. If not, I'll gladly call for you! Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13264 posts
2611 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
The idiot staff doesnt realize it's the same damn code for each meal to every1.... so of course each code is gonna be used 10k times. Morons. Even MickeyD's tells you to keep the mailed coupons to reuse again.

What location is this?? So I can avoid it. :rolleyes:
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Dec 5, 2005
904 posts
550 upvotes
Cambridge,Ontario
carmaster wrote: Call head office. Clearly the store is living in the past and have no clue.
Their head office is a joke.They don't care
Aug 5, 2005
457 posts
242 upvotes
I posted the exact samething long ago towards McDonald's and I couldn't believe how many people didn't understand what I was saying. Yes, even Mcd doesn't the samething or at least the one at Brampton location at hwy 10 & Ray Lawson.
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2006
1496 posts
736 upvotes
Edmonton
This happens to you a lot? I think I know the common denominator...
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15460 posts
12654 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
It’s a franchise...
And unfortunately that means in most cases, the franchise owner gets to make some of their own rules
Have an issue with the franchise
After raising it with the Store Mgr & Owner
The next level is the Chain HQ

As others say, doesn’t mean anything is going to change with that franchise store
But HQ will probably try to make you feel better in some way
Likely even more coupons
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
525 upvotes
Didn't you spend $2000 in a restaurant not long ago? You shouldn't even be bothering with coupons
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1713 posts
721 upvotes
The ad itself is part of the problem as in the fine print it states to present the original coupon but at the top clearly states show on mobile.
I'm sure in time the company will figure it out.
-----------------------------------------------------

"It's better to be dead and cool...than alive and uncool!"
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3494 posts
2155 upvotes
Edmonton
TrevorK wrote: To be fair, it does say "Valid at participating locations". The location you went to clearly does not want to participate in mobile / digital coupons.
Incorrect. The coupon is valid at participating locations, not the type of coupon. I'm sure this is primarily to exclude airport locations.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3494 posts
2155 upvotes
Edmonton
notfromqc wrote: Didn't you spend $2000 in a restaurant not long ago? You shouldn't even be bothering with coupons
Good one. Do you have the link for that post?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3494 posts
2155 upvotes
Edmonton
Not sure what the point is to have separate coupons for each province. I noticed that Quebec is not on the list, most likely because they would run into issues with an all English coupon.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15460 posts
12654 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
starchoice wrote: Not sure what the point is to have separate coupons for each province. I noticed that Quebec is not on the list, most likely because they would run into issues with an all English coupon.
That
AND... most importantly Quebec is a different legal system (Quebec Civil Law vs Canadian Common Law)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_law
Which is WHY so many offers & contests you see state ... Except Quebec / Not Valid in Quebec
Their system looks at things from a different perspective than the rest of Canada
Most corps just don’t want to bother with 2 streams
So they just opt out, by excluding Quebec