Careers

Employer asking their employees to use vacation benefits due to COVID-19

[OP]
Jr. Member
May 4, 2017
154 posts
301 upvotes

Employer asking their employees to use vacation benefits due to COVID-19

My employer is asking all employees to use up all their vacation benefits starting April 14 due to COVID-19 or face layoffs or pay cut. Just wondering if your employer is doing the same? I won't say who my employer is due to privacy issue. That means I will have to use all 6 weeks of vacation to stay home until our next fiscal year in June 01, 2020.
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 31, 2006
6924 posts
1696 upvotes
Toronto
GoldenKnight wrote: My employer is asking all employees to use up all their vacation benefits starting April 14 due to COVID-19 or face layoffs or pay cut. Just wondering if your employer is doing the same? I won't say who my employer is due to privacy issue. That means I will have to use all 6 weeks of vacation to stay home until our next fiscal year in June 01, 2020.
So your job does not have a work from home option?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
2060 posts
860 upvotes
Toronto
GoldenKnight wrote: ... That means I will have to use all 6 weeks of vacation to stay home until our next fiscal year in June 01, 2020.
6 weeks of vacation? You must have a really nice job.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1560 posts
444 upvotes
Mississauga
U are getting screwed. Tell him no thank you.
"With today's sheep mentality sometimes I feel like going to a wall and just bang my head"
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 31, 2006
6924 posts
1696 upvotes
Toronto
tommyamaral wrote: U are getting screwed. Tell him no thank you.
By telling his/her boss no, means NO SALARY.
Member
Jan 16, 2009
417 posts
183 upvotes
Vancouver
What about employees that dont' have 6 weeks vacation? are they getting laid off?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 3, 2009
5758 posts
1077 upvotes
Toronto
What happens after June 1 2020? Does your vacation days reset?
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4054 posts
2816 upvotes
tommyamaral wrote: U are getting screwed. Tell him no thank you.
OP not a good idea to listen to this advice.

It sucks, but better than losing your job or pay cut. You'll have your vacation next year - it's not like you're losing it permanently and you get double the amount than most. By the looks of it, won't be too much going on this year most places around the globe - not the best year to travel. Concerts, events, festivals are being cancelled. In the whole grand scheme of things it's really not that bad, all things considering.
[OP]
Jr. Member
May 4, 2017
154 posts
301 upvotes
Yes, my employer has been allowing us to work from home since the pandemic lockdown and I've been working from home since March 16. But, lately they're cutting back on human resources costs and believe that working from home is counter productive and had laid off most level entry positions. The middle management staffs are asked to burn their vacation leave benefits or pay cut and potentially lay off. I get another 6 weeks of new vacation leave on June 01, 2020. My question is can an employer forces you to burn all your vacation time in 2 months? Thank you for your input.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
4316 posts
2623 upvotes
Gotham
One question to ask is does your employer have enough cash/cash flow to keep paying staff for a year in the current situation?

One scenario could be after your staycation, you get laid off. Although, I think it has the same effect either way.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9407 posts
1452 upvotes
All salary guys are asked to take vacation if they are working from home. Vacation will be deducted from vacation balance whether you actually take it or not.

That's the word going around in some companies.
Sr. Member
Mar 4, 2010
522 posts
215 upvotes
Toronto
GoldenKnight wrote: Yes, my employer has been allowing us to work from home since the pandemic lockdown and I've been working from home since March 16. But, lately they're cutting back on human resources costs and believe that working from home is counter productive and had laid off most level entry positions. The middle management staffs are asked to burn their vacation leave benefits or pay cut and potentially lay off. I get another 6 weeks of new vacation leave on June 01, 2020. My question is can an employer forces you to burn all your vacation time in 2 months? Thank you for your input.
by law you are only entitled to the employer standards amount (i think its two weeks still, they kept changing it liberal>conservative changeover). anything above that is a benefit of which an employer can dictate how and when you can take it if they want to. 99.99% of companies will never do that because its morale suicide but they can. This is why employers can say you can lose vacation time if not used.

Take the time off, get some healthy in home activities taken care of for the next 6 weeks and come back mentally refreshed.
[OP]
Jr. Member
May 4, 2017
154 posts
301 upvotes
They haven't told me anything about a layoff or a pay cut after my staycation. According to my collective bargaining agreement, my vacation hours are bankable to a maximum of 600 hours. Basically, they're asking me to burn all 6 weeks to stay at home until June 01. I might ask an employment lawyer to help out.
Banned
User avatar
Dec 17, 2019
228 posts
235 upvotes
Montreal
they are trying to align business goals with your personal vacation plan Smiling Face With Open Mouth
I'm a customer at Public Mobile and VoIP.ms!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9407 posts
1452 upvotes
GoldenKnight wrote: They haven't told me anything about a layoff or a pay cut after my staycation. According to my collective bargaining agreement, my vacation hours are bankable to a maximum of 600 hours. Basically, they're asking me to burn all 6 weeks to stay at home until June 01. I might ask an employment lawyer to help out.
I dont know why your sweating it if you are CB. Your union possibly already agreed to this.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1960 posts
852 upvotes
HK
Vacation are a liability on the books. Organizations have only so many levers to pull such as:
-layoffs
-paycuts
-no bonuses/raises
-vacation
-operating expenses
-perks and benefits
-etc..

Depends on the culture of the organization. Talking to a few folks, some prefer to burn vacation time for "the greater good" so that others can keep their jobs. Others prefer massive layoffs and let the strong/popular survive.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 3, 2009
5758 posts
1077 upvotes
Toronto
It could be too many people banking since this pandemic is far from the ideal time to vacation. If everyone is banking weeks of vacation into June 2020 - May 2021 and using them in that year, the estimated fringe costs could cripple the company that year if it's on the high end (people using most or all of their banked+earned vacation). Especially if your 6 weeks is average.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
[OP]
Jr. Member
May 4, 2017
154 posts
301 upvotes
ranjeet2000 wrote: Do they charge for asking for advice?
Why would I pay for advice when I get when I can get it free on RFD Career Forum? lol

Top