Careers

Employer requiring my SIN number

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 7:07 am
Jan 10, 2019
2 posts

Employer requiring my SIN number

I am an international student with a vaid study permit which let me work up to 20 hours per week and my intentions are to apply for the PR after my graduation. Recently I started to work for a worker recruiter agency for occasional job. After my first day of job, I was required to give my SIN number and copy of passport in order to receive my first cheque. I have not received any written contract and I realized that several illegal workers were working for this same agency. I am concerned to give my SIN and ID, as they could use them for register other illegal immigrants and at the end, it could seem that I worked more than 20 hours per week during my stay in Canada, what should I do? My employer told me that if I dont provide him with this information my payment won´t be processed and I really need the money.

Thank you
6 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
The whole point to your SIN (just FYI, SIN = Social Insurance Number, so “SIN number” is redundant) is so the government can keep track of payments to/from your “account”. Your employer needs that to make the appropriate deductions and remittance on your behalf. So yeah, you need to provide that.

Don’t know about your passport, but I suspect they need a copy for your proof of employment status. If you’re concerned about anything funky going on, make sure you keep all your pay stubs as proof of how much you worked. Any extra time worked will show up when you file your taxes as extra income (that you never received) , so it should be relatively easy to catch.

In the end, if you don’t feel like you can trust this employer with your identification, you’ll have to find another job. Perhaps start with one that doesn’t follow illegal employment practices... I know that might be difficult to determine before you start, but it should be a sign that you might want to keep up with the job search as soon as you find out this is going on.

C
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote: The whole point to your SIN (just FYI, SIN = Social Insurance Number, so “SIN number” is redundant) is so the government can keep track of payments to/from your “account”. Your employer needs that to make the appropriate deductions and remittance on your behalf. So yeah, you need to provide that.

Don’t know about your passport, but I suspect they need a copy for your proof of employment status. If you’re concerned about anything funky going on, make sure you keep all your pay stubs as proof of how much you worked. Any extra time worked will show up when you file your taxes as extra income (that you never received) , so it should be relatively easy to catch.

In the end, if you don’t feel like you can trust this employer with your identification, you’ll have to find another job. Perhaps start with one that doesn’t follow illegal employment practices... I know that might be difficult to determine before you start, but it should be a sign that you might want to keep up with the job search as soon as you find out this is going on.

C
Op's SIN# start in 9xx-xxx-xxx (means temporary worker). This is already enough to established his/her employment status. The 20 hours allowable for a student is self-honesty. I also have a friend 2 years ago working while studying he told me the employer offer him under the table hours after 20 hrs.
Jan 10, 2019
2 posts
I am really concerned about this issue... as I cannot find any response usefull... practically everybody tells me: give it only if you trust your employer!

Is there any form my employer could use my SIN to report the work of another person?
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1967 posts
621 upvotes
DT Calgary
Do you want to work or not, jeez.
Jul 24, 2015
237 posts
153 upvotes
What do you think a SIN is for?

No, really what do you think a SIN is used for?
Is there any form my employer could use my SIN to report the work of another person?
This is one of the dumbest things I've read.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)