Careers

Employment question

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2020 3:57 pm
[OP]
Mar 13, 2018
7 posts

Employment question

my employer is asking me to work 3 days per week due to work slow down/covid, the other 2 days they want us to use our vacation days. is this good idea?
5 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12098 posts
8408 upvotes
Edmonton
Kingston3900 wrote: my employer is asking me to work 3 days per week due to work slow down/covid, the other 2 days they want us to use our vacation days. is this good idea?
That's a personal decision that nobody else can make for you. It will allow you to keep drawing a full paycheck, which is good. But it burns your holidays for nothing, which can be bad. But it might be better than being unemployed, which might be the next option your employer takes if not enough people bite on this option. If there's not enough work to go around, and people aren't willing to take holidays to cut down on the people doing the work, the next obvious choice is to remove some of the people from the workplace entirely.

C
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35549 posts
21604 upvotes
Center of Universe
Can you keep you with tour expenses on a 3day work week?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12098 posts
8408 upvotes
Edmonton
Kingston3900 wrote: No I can't I was wondering about a work share program?
Your employer isn't obligated to offer you any particular options. So you can ask, but there's no guarantees.

C
Mar 17, 2010
204 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
My company has also started rolling out options to either start using vacation days or accumulate negative flex hours (upto 80 hours) if you are short on work. You will have 12 months to pay back those -80 hours of flex.

I think these options are great to keep the people employed for as long as the company can. After that the next best option is CERB.