Careers

Locked: Employment Success as Asian

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2019 9:02 pm
[OP]
Mar 10, 2018
5 posts

Employment Success as Asian

I will be starting employment fairly soon with a new employer and would like to hear advice on how to succeed.

Why are you making this about race when it's clearly not about race?

Race and skin colour is in your head. Nobody cares what skin colour you are. You should see a lawyer for your termination, all sorts of red flags went up for me.

Leave your own presuppositions in your head. It's like you're running after you decided to chop off a leg. Stop limiting yourself to success and stop thinking that you're constrained.

That's 99% of the battle.

Nobody gives a shit that you are Asian. In my workplace (architectural firm) we have people of all backgrounds and all are given a fair shake if they can do the work. I read your other

thread. It has nothing to do with you being Asian.

I will be starting employment fairly soon with a new employer and would like to hear advice on how to succeed.

Race and skin colour is in your head. Nobody cares what skin colour you are. You should see a lawyer for your termination, all sorts of red flags went up for me.

Leave your own presuppositions in your head. It's like you're running after you decided to chop off a leg. Stop limiting yourself to success and stop thinking that you're constrained.

Nobody gives a shit that you are Asian. In my workplace (architectural firm) we have people of all backgrounds and all are given a fair shake if they can do the work. I read your other

Last edited by Timbyt on Jan 1st, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Share:
5 replies
Aug 31, 2008
196 posts
62 upvotes
Timbyt wrote: I will be starting employment fairly soon with a new employer and would like to hear advice on how to succeed. As an Asian Canadian/American, how do you succeed at your workplace? What I need advice on is how to keep a good job for many number of years, of course I can't control the economy but I am asking for advice for things that I may be able to change. Just a little bit about myself: I work in the engineering field in Canada, has slight accent but has clear communications, has conservative values, and values family more than anything. I already know that I need to be knowledgeable in my work (I can work on this), be productive at work (I can work on this), but I think the part I am lacking is being likable by some native speakers. Below is my brief work history.

I was fairly liked by people at one previous company (fairly multicultural) but I left them for advancement in my career. I then went to another company (mostly white people) but unfortunately I upset more senior employees when I showed that I was more knowledgeable in a certain work related aspects; it was a bad start and from then on other employees kinda kept a distance from me. I then went to another company (again mostly white people) where I gained good experience but another mess-up happened; the office manage (who's my employer's daughter and will become boss one day) did not keep check on my overtime hours for at least 6 months, freaked out when she found out, and successfully encouraged her dad the employer to get rid of me.
So I now need advice on how to succeed on the next workplace and be able to stay for many years to come.
vgosu
Jun 14, 2018
181 posts
216 upvotes
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
2893 posts
3040 upvotes
Leave your own presuppositions in your head. It's like you're running after you decided to chop off a leg. Stop limiting yourself to success and stop thinking that you're constrained. That's 99% of the battle.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6928 posts
4087 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Nobody gives a shit that you are Asian. In my workplace (architectural firm) we have people of all backgrounds and all are given a fair shake if they can do the work. I read your other thread. It has nothing to do with you being Asian.
Sep 30, 2001
28076 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto
Locked at op's request
We're all in this together. Be kind and civil with one another