Students

employment support after graduation?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2014 11:19 am
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16527 posts
2238 upvotes
Post your resume, let's see what it looks like. Don't worry about GPA too much, I had a disgusting transcript and I'm doing fine.

What type of positions are you applying for?
[OP]
Dec 2, 2014
26 posts
3 upvotes
coolspot wrote: Post your resume, let's see what it looks like. Don't worry about GPA too much, I had a disgusting transcript and I'm doing fine.

What type of positions are you applying for?
Hello. Thanks for kind offer. That's just what my main problem that I am still undecided or dont know the exact explicit path that I want to take. I just knew I had an interest in 'business'. Not accounting or finance, just business.And that's just what I had studied in high school and thought to pursue it further in university. I guess this mere interest in business is the reason maybe why I opted for such a broad stream like management, which compared to other streams like accounting, finance, HR, marketing doesn't carry a vary narrow scope and I feel maybe that's serving a vague factor in my career path. But then at the same time, I remember why I didn't just pick a stream with narrow scope because I didn't just want to be an accountant or be defined with a marketing background only and I knew that would not be such a safe bet as far as finding immediate work is concerned after graduation, but I think I wanted a broad diverse business education that would expose me to a lot of different functions. So this degree has equipped me with different types of courses including management, marketing,human resources, disaster risk management etc.
But now I am having some trouble defining it the kind of jobs I should apply to. I'm not exactly sure where to step my foot in. I think people with finance and accounting majors are able to find jobs relatively easily because there is a step they are working towards which is getting a CPA or something and there are jobs associated with that. With me, I have no such plans. Accounting was never my strenght nor was I ever that interested it.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I can PM you my resume if you'd like.
Apr 22, 2013
463 posts
63 upvotes
jonmarrow wrote: Hello. Thanks for kind offer. That's just what my main problem that I am still undecided or dont know the exact explicit path that I want to take. I just knew I had an interest in 'business'. Not accounting or finance, just business.And that's just what I had studied in high school and thought to pursue it further in university. I guess this mere interest in business is the reason maybe why I opted for such a broad stream like management, which compared to other streams like accounting, finance, HR, marketing doesn't carry a vary narrow scope and I feel maybe that's serving a vague factor in my career path. But then at the same time, I remember why I didn't just pick a stream with narrow scope because I didn't just want to be an accountant or be defined with a marketing background only and I knew that would not be such a safe bet as far as finding immediate work is concerned after graduation, but I think I wanted a broad diverse business education that would expose me to a lot of different functions. So this degree has equipped me with different types of courses including management, marketing,human resources, disaster risk management etc.
But now I am having some trouble defining it the kind of jobs I should apply to. I'm not exactly sure where to step my foot in. I think people with finance and accounting majors are able to find jobs relatively easily because there is a step they are working towards which is getting a CPA or something and there are jobs associated with that. With me, I have no such plans. Accounting was never my strenght nor was I ever that interested it.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I can PM you my resume if you'd like.
Recent graduate (June 2014) here from York as well but in Finance. I was lucky to get brought back to my prior internship through the york internship program. You are exactly right about your management major being very broad compared to other streams like accounting, finance, etc.

Try and craft your cover letter in a way that you finished with a business degree without specifying the stream and look for entry level jobs to get your foot into the door with big companies. I have a buddy that graduated with the same major as you (management) and he landed a entry level credit position with TD. Also, when you are applying to specific industries, make sure to use key words. I work in the banking industry right now and i can tell you that HR screens coverletters and resume based on keywords. Just google it!

As well, if you are lacking work experience you can always include related course work material ie. projects
Jan 24, 2014
164 posts
32 upvotes
Don't give up. I'm living in AB and it took me just about a year to find a job after I graduated. I was being picky at first and wanted to rely on myself. But in the end I asked for advice from my friends and they helped me work on my resume and I actually went to the career centre to fix it up. After that I got a whole bunch of interviews, but the only thing I was lacking is experience. Right now it doesn't matter how high ur grades are cause most places only look at that as a small part of their decision to hire you, it's all based on experiences.

I was lucky enough for a company to hire me in marketing but all though it's not the type of company I would like to work for, it will have to do for now.
Get experience in whatever position you can find and start from there. Don't give up!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6229 posts
5071 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Beggars can't be choosers. Widen your scope and take whatever you can. There's no such thing as bad work experience (usually), and nothing's stopping you from continuing your search while employed at Tim Hortons. Take your resume and cover letter to your university career center for a critique, and make use of their student job board.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)