• Jun 20th, 2010 9:39 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
2612 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto

EMT safe as buyer?

I've never done one before, what risks are there? (this is from another BST forum if that matters)
20 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19820 posts
2582 upvotes
Mugen123 wrote: I've never done one before, what risks are there? (this is from another BST forum if that matters)
Pretty risk free as far as money loss goes. They have no access to your bank account information at all and can only get the money sent.

Of course the risk compared to Paypal is there is no way to dispute anything if the seller does not send the goods.

A good way to do EMT is to send the EMT in advance, but only give the seller the password to unlock the money after you have the tracking # in hand.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
2505 posts
41 upvotes
Milton
brunes wrote: Pretty risk free as far as money loss goes. They have no access to your bank account information at all and can only get the money sent.

Of course the risk compared to Paypal is there is no way to dispute anything if the seller does not send the goods.

A good way to do EMT is to send the EMT in advance, but only give the seller the password to unlock the money after you have the tracking # in hand.
As a seller on kijiji I always have emt as a payment option, and encourage it so I do not incur paypal fees, however I would never send an item unless I have successfully deposited the funds, and if the buyer is wary of sending me money in the first place then I give them the COD option, which costs them an extra $7.25 on their end, but gives them peace of mind knowing that they are paying for the package when they physically see it in their hands.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19820 posts
2582 upvotes
beerbaron105 wrote: As a seller on kijiji I always have emt as a payment option, and encourage it so I do not incur paypal fees, however I would never send an item unless I have successfully deposited the funds, and if the buyer is wary of sending me money in the first place then I give them the COD option, which costs them an extra $7.25 on their end, but gives them peace of mind knowing that they are paying for the package when they physically see it in their hands.
If someone sends you and EMT then you know you already have the funds, they are just in escrow (via the password). Danger of the buyer cancelling the EMT after it has been sent but not yet claimed is pretty minimal because this is not a simple one-click process.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8953 posts
1437 upvotes
beerbaron105 wrote: As a seller on kijiji I always have emt as a payment option, and encourage it so I do not incur paypal fees, however I would never send an item unless I have successfully deposited the funds, and if the buyer is wary of sending me money in the first place then I give them the COD option, which costs them an extra $7.25 on their end, but gives them peace of mind knowing that they are paying for the package when they physically see it in their hands.
I'm not sure how correct I am, but cod doesn't guarantee safety either. It just means you ship something and they pay for it when they receive it. Doesn't the buyer have to pay for it before they open the package?

I know thats off topic, just inquiring.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
2505 posts
41 upvotes
Milton
r1lee wrote: I'm not sure how correct I am, but cod doesn't guarantee safety either. It just means you ship something and they pay for it when they receive it. Doesn't the buyer have to pay for it before they open the package?

I know thats off topic, just inquiring.
well technically i could ship a brick in a box and they have to sign for it before opening it.

i mean if someone is that unsure of their purchase prior to sending money then they should probably stick to shopping at brick and mortar stores.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
2612 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
brunes wrote: Pretty risk free as far as money loss goes. They have no access to your bank account information at all and can only get the money sent.

This is mainly what I was concerned about, they have no access to my account number? I am a little worried about the goods not arriving, but it is a relatively small amount so I won't be losing that much if the guy decides to be a jackass
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
2505 posts
41 upvotes
Milton
Mugen123 wrote: This is mainly what I was concerned about, they have no access to my account number? I am a little worried about the goods not arriving, but it is a relatively small amount so I won't be losing that much if the guy decides to be a jackass
talk to him on the phone, get his address and full name, i have no problem giving my information out because i have no intention of scamming people.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19820 posts
2582 upvotes
Mugen123 wrote: This is mainly what I was concerned about, they have no access to my account number? I am a little worried about the goods not arriving, but it is a relatively small amount so I won't be losing that much if the guy decides to be a jackass
No they have no access to your account info at all.

They get an email with a link in it that is unique to the transaction. They click it and sign into their web banking, apply the secret password, and then your bank instantly transfers the amount for the transaction into their account. No one sees any account info.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28671 posts
1317 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
First off all., if you have no heatware., or RFD bst credentials to go off., there is always a risk. You can minimize risks with simple precautionary measures, but unless the seller is despearate, nobody will mail you (cash not fully paid) up front. If you're the seller, nobody is going to send you full cash before you mail it out to them. Both lead to stalemate, unless you end up bending the rules. Once bent, you leave yourself open to being scammed.

Nobody (random seller on Cl/Kjijij etc) will send you any package before receiving full payment. I would in no way shape or form accept merely the emt link and no password to a random stranger without having to ship out the item first. That's ludicrous.
brunes wrote: ...Danger of the buyer cancelling the EMT after it has been sent but not yet claimed is pretty minimal because this is not a simple one-click process.
All the banks I have used for EMTs make it in fact as simple as a one-click process to cancel the EMT. Not sure who you use.
beerbaron105 wrote: talk to him on the phone, get his address and full name, i have no problem giving my information out because i have no intention of scamming people.
Reading up on scammers will teach you one thing. They don't care if you have all their information. Honestly, what're you going to do with it? Embarass them online? Please. Criminals of that nature have online credentials as LAST on their list of priorities.

Anthony Ahmad (forget exactly his name) ring a bell anybody?

SO MANY scammers I know of have their details online, and YET, year after year, I keep reading about how they have scammed someone else lol. People just need to be scammed before they SMARTEN up.
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $4632 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Lowa, Taft*
*Various Szs Vintage: Hartt, Florsheim Imp*
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19820 posts
2582 upvotes
bubble.tea wrote:
Nobody (random seller on Cl/Kjijij etc) will send you any package before receiving full payment. I would in no way shape or form accept merely the emt link and no password to a random stranger without having to ship out the item first. That's ludicrous.
Why is it ludicrous? The money has already been sent what are you afraid of?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21086 posts
5747 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
brunes wrote: Of course the risk compared to Paypal is there is no way to dispute anything if the seller does not send the goods.
True enough, but it's a double edged sword. No disputes means no scam chargebacks either.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28671 posts
1317 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
brunes wrote: Why is it ludicrous? The money has already been sent what are you afraid of?
okay., put yourself in that position.

You are selling an item for $400.

The buyer (you have no clue who this is, other than their shipping address)., sends you an emt (withholding pwd-to be released after they receive the item) for $400.

Knowing very well., that once received, this random buyer could cancel the EMT, leaving you empty handed with your thumb up your butt...would you actually mail it out empty handed?

What recourse do you possibly have? Zip.

REMINDER: Money has NOT been sent. It has simply been transferred to an EASILY REVERSIBLE escrow acct. Don't forget, There have also been accounts of fraudulently generated EMTs which have also been reversed ad the bank level., leaving the seller similarly empty-handed.

Money sent to Certapay. It has not been released to you. All the sender has to do at any point after it has been sent (and before providing you with the pwd and opportunity to claim it) is go into their bank account and click 'cancel emt'. At which point the money will be reversed from Certapay, back to their bank account.
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Lowa, Taft*
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21086 posts
5747 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
^
If you don't know / trust the person you're dealing with, then ALL payment systems could be exploited so one one party could scam the other.

This is why I deal on places like RFD where most people are GTA residents so I can meet them in person (and have done many times.)
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28671 posts
1317 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
Jucius Maximus wrote: ^
If you don't know / trust the person you're dealing with, then ALL payment systems could be exploited so one one party could scam the other.

This is why I deal on places like RFD where most people are GTA residents so I can meet them in person (and have done many times.)

Absolutely agree.
Which is precisely my point. As a seller...I would never agree to shipping anything out unless I had full payment up front. Since the other random buyer doesn't know me from a hole in the wall, they equally would never entertain the option of paying in full before receiving the item. Hence stalemate.

Feedback or PaymentinfullUPFRONT...or Bust. Simple as that for my trading policies.
Apr 1, 2009
406 posts
12 upvotes
With an EMT, they do not have any details on your bank info, accounts, mailing info, passwords, etc.
The only thing that they would get is your email address.

If you send an EMT, then you have to deliver a password. Unfortunately, once the funds have been processed, then there is no 'dispute' option if the goods or services you purchased do not arrive.

The only thing I can suggest is using a trusted seller instead of someone with no credentials. If you are using someone you do not know, then it is buyer beware.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8953 posts
1437 upvotes
beerbaron105 wrote: well technically i could ship a brick in a box and they have to sign for it before opening it.

i mean if someone is that unsure of their purchase prior to sending money then they should probably stick to shopping at brick and mortar stores.
nono, just confirming my thoughts, i wasn't 100% sure :)

I remember sending something COD before. It was worth $2k, and i think the purchaser wanted to open it before he paid. It was a big deal, and i think i had to fax something so he can do it..
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19820 posts
2582 upvotes
bubble.tea wrote: Knowing very well., that once received, this random buyer could cancel the EMT, leaving you empty handed with your thumb up your butt...would you actually mail it out empty handed?

But that is what I said before. You can't "cancel" an EMT - once it is sent, it is sent. You'd have to call them and go through some pretty big explanations to cancel it.
Apr 1, 2009
406 posts
12 upvotes
brunes wrote: But that is what I said before. You can't "cancel" an EMT - once it is sent, it is sent. You'd have to call them and go through some pretty big explanations to cancel it.
Yes, you can cancel an EMT with one click on your online banking.
It counts as a stop payment, and there is a $5 charge.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19820 posts
2582 upvotes
tophomeloans wrote: Yes, you can cancel an EMT with one click on your online banking.
It counts as a stop payment, and there is a $5 charge.
Where is this option? I don' see the EMT at all until it has gone through.