Investing

Is Enbridge Inc (ENB) stock a good time to buy now?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2020 7:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8710 posts
599 upvotes

Is Enbridge Inc (ENB) stock a good time to buy now?

I have been buying mostly funds and bonds in my RRSP. Just want to diversify and invest on some stocks.

I remember Enbridge Inc (ENB) is one of the recommended dividend stocks in Lazy Investor book. Its stock price now is almost 5 years low. Just wonder if it is good time to buy and hold it in my RRSP account. Thanks for sharing your thought.
765 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2324 posts
1300 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Should it be held in RRSP or margin account?
Dec 22, 2007
316 posts
23 upvotes
Thornhill
Might be better in tfsa since growth and dividend won't be taxed.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14585 posts
7489 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Any sheltered account will do - ie TFSA, RRSP...

As for timing, it really depends on your time horizon. In an increasing interest rate environment (that we have now), as rates go up, utilities like pipelines go down. So, it's likely that lower prices are in the future. However, if you are buying for the long term (ie 20 years), then it's not a bad time to start a position as ENB has a good history of moving up in the long term and the dividend rate is pretty good.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
2818 posts
755 upvotes
Dollar cost averaging on ENB is always great plus management is focused on dividend growth. ENF is also great with DRIP feature and high yield.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2009
1733 posts
698 upvotes
If you are going to buy and hold, it makes most sense in TFSA and then Margin account. Remember the capital gains and dividends receive preferential tax treatment in margin account. For RRSP, I like to buy stocks that frequently return their capital or pay income distributions (e.g. BEP.UN, BIP.UN).

canoek wrote: Should it be held in RRSP or margin account?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8710 posts
599 upvotes
Thanks. It seems like ENF has even higher dividend pay out % than ENB. I wonder if I should set it up as DRIP. Anyway, going to call TD Web broker to setup the DRIP option in general. I wonder why TD doesn't put DRIP option as default, and wants us to call in to add it on instead.

Message from TD:
A Dividend Reinvestment Plan (DRIP) allows you to purchase additional shares or mutual fund units automatically from the cash dividends paid on eligible securities, without incurring commission costs. TD Direct Investing handles everything directly for you — from dividend collection to reinvestment and safekeeping.

To set up a DRIP in your TD Direct Investing account, contact an Investment Representative:

1-800-465-5463 or (416) 982-7686
24 hours a day, 7 days a week
porticoman wrote: OP, consider a 50/50 in ENB & ENF
Last edited by rdx on Feb 22nd, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
2180 posts
938 upvotes
rdx wrote: Thanks. It seems like ENF has even higher dividend pay out % than ENB.
blended dividends at present ENF 8.175%, ENB 6.3% = 14.475/2 = 7.2375% approx

look at it that one is growth & the other as income, which inside a registered account its basically let it ride, DRIP for the long haul

Good luck with this
Last edited by Guest37273939 on Feb 22nd, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8710 posts
599 upvotes
porticoman wrote: look at it that one is growth & the other as income, which inside a registered account its basically let it ride, DRIP for the long haul

Good luck with this
I see. Thanks. I notice both ENB and ENF are still going down a bit in the last couple days. I wonder if I should wait and buy it later just before the RRSP deadline.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
2180 posts
938 upvotes
rdx wrote: I see. Thanks. I notice both ENB and ENF are still going down a bit in the last couple days. I wonder if I should wait and buy it later just before the RRSP deadline.
do it Friday, Monday or next week it really doesn't matter considering at close today the blended dividends at present ENF 8.175%, ENB 6.3% = 14.475/2 = 7.2375% approx
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8710 posts
599 upvotes
porticoman wrote: do it Friday, Monday or next week it really doesn't matter considering at close today the blended dividends at present ENF 8.175%, ENB 6.3% = 14.475/2 = 7.2375% approx
Ok, thanks again.

By the way, do you research on Chinese company's stock ? If so, any comment on the China Mobile LTD (CHL) ? Its price is currently 3 years low. With 5G coming to China soon, will it be good company to invest on ?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8710 posts
599 upvotes
I just called TD and inquire about the DRIP account setup. Here is the information in case someone has the same question. I originally thought it is an one time setup with my account and I will have an option in the TD Web Broker to select "DRIP" for future stock purchases. However, based on what TD told me, I need to buy the stocks first and tell them which one I want to setup DRIP or they can also setup the entire investment account with DRIP option.
Sep 29, 2007
605 posts
122 upvotes
This will get hammered with rising interest rates. PE still too high and debt load is a ticking time bomb potentially. Good entry would be in low 30's