Investing

Is Enbridge Inc (ENB) stock a good time to buy now?

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2020 7:18 pm
Jr. Member
Dec 10, 2012
120 posts
6 upvotes
Ontario
jerryhung wrote: There's a Big ENB thread in this forum
Thank you.
"“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.”
― Ramana Maharshi.".
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2017
1639 posts
1679 upvotes
The only part I would add is its hard to know where things will be in 20 years with oil and gas demand. I view ENB is well run and they have both gas utility and wind power assets. My guess is it will be a very very different company in 20 years. Its something that will probably needs to be monitored.
Member
Nov 24, 2016
321 posts
338 upvotes
Chance7652 wrote: The only part I would add is its hard to know where things will be in 20 years with oil and gas demand. I view ENB is well run and they have both gas utility and wind power assets. My guess is it will be a very very different company in 20 years. Its something that will probably needs to be monitored.
We know where it'll be. Demand is going up for at least another decade according to all studies I've seen. And then it will plateau. In a world where 12 hippies can shut down multi-billion dollar projects, every pipe in the ground is essentially gold. At least that's how I see it. I have a ton of ENB. I also wanted to go in heavy with Keyera, but it got away from me. I've loaded up in IPL meanwhile. Essentially I want to own every Canadian pipeline there is. I also have TC energy but not enough.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2017
1639 posts
1679 upvotes
MashGhasem wrote: We know where it'll be. Demand is going up for at least another decade according to all studies I've seen. And then it will plateau. In a world where 12 hippies can shut down multi-billion dollar projects, every pipe in the ground is essentially gold. At least that's how I see it. I have a ton of ENB. I also wanted to go in heavy with Keyera, but it got away from me. I've loaded up in IPL meanwhile. Essentially I want to own every Canadian pipeline there is. I also have TC energy but not enough.
Gas has a longer runway than oil as well.

I just see things as changing. Outside of the protest about tmx and the TC BC gas pipeline there is lots of pushback on the other North American Pipelines. I read an articles about California trying to phase out natural gas for heating homes. New York keeps holding up gas pipelines and now one of their utilities is not doing anymore natural gas hook ups for new construction. Michigan is fighting to close down line 5 before the replacement gets built and Line 3 is delayed by a couple years due to resistance from Minnesota.

All of ENB's assets have value. They maybe even have more value as its getting so hard to build anything. With their growth projects I think ENB is going to need to look at other things like their Ontario Utility and their Wind Power Assets (TC has Nuclear assets). I see it as a positive that ENB has about 50% of their revenue coming from outside from Canada. I'm long ENB and also KEY but don't want to own to much in the sector as I'm getting increasing pessimistic about Energy.
Sr. Member
User avatar
May 31, 2018
523 posts
1043 upvotes
Saskatchewan
Chance7652 wrote: Gas has a longer runway than oil as well.

I just see things as changing. Outside of the protest about tmx and the TC BC gas pipeline there is lots of pushback on the other North American Pipelines. I read an articles about California trying to phase out natural gas for heating homes. New York keeps holding up gas pipelines and now one of their utilities is not doing anymore natural gas hook ups for new construction. Michigan is fighting to close down line 5 before the replacement gets built and Line 3 is delayed by a couple years due to resistance from Minnesota.

All of ENB's assets have value. They maybe even have more value as its getting so hard to build anything. With their growth projects I think ENB is going to need to look at other things like their Ontario Utility and their Wind Power Assets (TC has Nuclear assets). I see it as a positive that ENB has about 50% of their revenue coming from outside from Canada. I'm long ENB and also KEY but don't want to own to much in the sector as I'm getting increasing pessimistic about Energy.
I’ve not looked into this at all, and am probably missing something obviously obvious, but what are people heating their homes with if it isn’t natural gas? Coal? Wood? Electricity?
Jr. Member
Dec 10, 2012
120 posts
6 upvotes
Ontario
Chance7652 wrote: Gas has a longer runway than oil as well.

I just see things as changing. Outside of the protest about tmx and the TC BC gas pipeline there is lots of pushback on the other North American Pipelines. I read an articles about California trying to phase out natural gas for heating homes. New York keeps holding up gas pipelines and now one of their utilities is not doing anymore natural gas hook ups for new construction. Michigan is fighting to close down line 5 before the replacement gets built and Line 3 is delayed by a couple years due to resistance from Minnesota.

All of ENB's assets have value. They maybe even have more value as its getting so hard to build anything. With their growth projects I think ENB is going to need to look at other things like their Ontario Utility and their Wind Power Assets (TC has Nuclear assets). I see it as a positive that ENB has about 50% of their revenue coming from outside from Canada. I'm long ENB and also KEY but don't want to own to much in the sector as I'm getting increasing pessimistic about Energy.
Thank you for you input. Certainly lot to think about. I have been very lucky with Hydro One for past 4 hours when I purchased it at IPO, pays a decent dividend. However, about 80% my portfolio on this one company. Its about time I diversify.
"“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.”
― Ramana Maharshi.".
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
2225 posts
524 upvotes
FarmerHarv wrote: I’ve not looked into this at all, and am probably missing something obviously obvious, but what are people heating their homes with if it isn’t natural gas? Coal? Wood? Electricity?
Good question. I was going to ask the same thing. I could see electricity if it's all solar and wind power but the others don't really fit the sustainable angle.
Jr. Member
Dec 10, 2012
120 posts
6 upvotes
Ontario
Capt. wrote: Good question. I was going to ask the same thing. I could see electricity if it's all solar and wind power but the others don't really fit the sustainable angle.
Solar power is only good for few months of the year. However, I am really big on electricity because 100s of condos going up every year.
"“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.”
― Ramana Maharshi.".
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2017
1639 posts
1679 upvotes
FarmerHarv wrote: I’ve not looked into this at all, and am probably missing something obviously obvious, but what are people heating their homes with if it isn’t natural gas? Coal? Wood? Electricity?
The alternative is electric and probably using heat pumps for homes (this would work better in warmer climates). The cost of Hydro in Ontario would be another major problem here...

Here is an article I was thinking of on electrification (Its more focused on renewable natural gas but covers a lot about electrification). I don't always agree with this author but he's well informed.

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environm ... e-socalgas
Sr. Member
User avatar
May 31, 2018
523 posts
1043 upvotes
Saskatchewan
Chance7652 wrote: The alternative is electric and probably using heat pumps for homes (this would work better in warmer climates). The cost of Hydro in Ontario would be another major problem here...

Here is an article I was thinking of on electrification (Its more focused on renewable natural gas but covers a lot about electrification). I don't always agree with this author but he's well informed.

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environm ... e-socalgas
Excellent article, and I do agree with RNG being less than worthwhile pursuing. I didn’t see where he stated how all of the massive increases in electricity demand were going to be met though. Building more nuclear in the face of those protests probably isn’t feasible, damming more rivers probably isn’t going to happen, so we’re left with burning fossil fuels in power plants instead of home furnaces. Doesn’t seem to change much in the end with regards to NG supply and demand, but I guess the optics are better if the gas is burned in anther state to provide the power in California.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2017
1639 posts
1679 upvotes
FarmerHarv wrote: Excellent article, and I do agree with RNG being less than worthwhile pursuing. I didn’t see where he stated how all of the massive increases in electricity demand were going to be met though. Building more nuclear in the face of those protests probably isn’t feasible, damming more rivers probably isn’t going to happen, so we’re left with burning fossil fuels in power plants instead of home furnaces. Doesn’t seem to change much in the end with regards to NG supply and demand, but I guess the optics are better if the gas is burned in anther state to provide the power in California.
Canada actually has a lot of renewable generation between hydro and nuclear. Wind and solar are pretty inexpensive and but are still going to need NG/coal for peak demand right now as the generation is too variable. California is a bit extreme and they're utilities seems pretty poorly run (cough PG&E).

I'm thinking we will start to see more of a move to electrify heating though and I see this as a negative to ENB. My take is it going to take a while and a company like ENB can still do well. I'm personally have a NG furnace, fireplace, stove(s) and BBQ and would really hate to give that up. I'm long ENB thinking they will figure things out in a challenging industry.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 1, 2006
14460 posts
248 upvotes
What do you think a good price is to get in on some ENB?
2013 Contest Win Wishlist
  • Leafs Tickets / iPad / E-Reader / 46" HDTV / PS3 Gaming System / Cash / Guitar / Keurig
Jr. Member
Dec 10, 2012
120 posts
6 upvotes
Ontario
JayTee1 wrote: What do you think a good price is to get in on some ENB?
Its a question, I have been asking myself. would be interesting to see what others have to say.
"“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.”
― Ramana Maharshi.".
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
2818 posts
755 upvotes
sadiya wrote: Its a question, I have been asking myself. would be interesting to see what others have to say.
My cost average is around 44.80 and thinking to add around 46-47 range. It's still bit high.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1034 posts
404 upvotes
Getting cheap due to the virus, would buy more if I have the the funds.

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)