Shopping Discussion

The end of an era (switchover to digital flyers from paper flyers)

• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2020 9:47 am
[OP]
Banned
Jun 17, 2010
153 posts
281 upvotes
Toronto

The end of an era (switchover to digital flyers from paper flyers)

Today's was the last print flyer distributed by No Frills. If you are like me, I always looked forward the next weeks flyers. They have gone digital now. So if you are sentimental about these things, you might want to squirrel away the last print flyer like I did next to the last copy of The Toronto Telegram, the fist copy of The Sun, the last Canadian Tire catalogue, the Last Eaton's catalogue and three different "MAN ON MOON" copies of Toronto papers.

And just to keep those pesky RFD moderators at bay, NF has a smoking deal on Pork Loins at $1.67/lb
Last edited by Mars2012 on Apr 16th, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added detail to title so it's not clickbait
Thread Summary
This deserves a thread summary, for science.
67 replies
Jan 10, 2013
373 posts
193 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
Your sentimentality is much ado about nothing, my friend. One of the interesting things about the pandemic is how things will change going forward, permanently. I, for one, being fairly environmental, is glad to see the shift towards online, digital flyers. Long live our forests!
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2018
1615 posts
1928 upvotes
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Not sure how to feel about this post but the momentary thought experiment was a welcome distraction.
Aug 3, 2014
240 posts
418 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
what am I gonna line my compost bin with now??
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9496 posts
4702 upvotes
Markham
Upvote for your last paragraph lol. Big picture
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
1207 posts
2437 upvotes
Someone crying about dead trees, carted half way across the world, to create a flyer that you can just find a better version of on your phone . . . during a pandemic.
What a time to be alive.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6648 posts
3713 upvotes
Aurora
decee wrote: Today's was the last print flyer distributed by No Frills. If you are like me, I always looked forward the next weeks flyers. They have gone digital now. So if you are sentimental about these things, you might want to squirrel away the last print flyer like I did next to the last copy of The Toronto Telegram, the fist copy of The Sun, the last Canadian Tire catalogue, the Last Eaton's catalogue and three different "MAN ON MOON" copies of Toronto papers.

And just to keep those pesky RFD moderators at bay, NF has a smoking deal on Pork Loins at $1.67/lb
Sometimes I wish I framed a $1 bill way back when. Flyers ... not so much. Flipp . Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1457 posts
495 upvotes
decee wrote: Today's was the last print flyer distributed by No Frills. If you are like me, I always looked forward the next weeks flyers. They have gone digital now. So if you are sentimental about these things, you might want to squirrel away the last print flyer like I did next to the last copy of The Toronto Telegram, the fist copy of The Sun, the last Canadian Tire catalogue, the Last Eaton's catalogue and three different "MAN ON MOON" copies of Toronto papers.

Sad, you're proving the quote true: "Science progresses one funeral at a time". - Planck's principle
:arrowl: Thanks if Helped! :D
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2809 posts
2100 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
"...back when I was a boy, I'd get a small book delivered to me showing what was on sale at the local retailer. Oh how I miss those days..."

Yeah. Nah. Don't think I'll ever say that.

Next it'll be "oh, how I miss having to walk to the store and wait in line to buy what I wanted. I don't like having things delivered to my door after ordering them through my home computer, wearing nothing but a skimpy pink and purple g-string..."
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16322 posts
2658 upvotes
GTA
you've been a member here since 2010 and you felt this was a deal to post in hot deals forum?
Aug 18, 2008
397 posts
283 upvotes
Have they perhaps only temporarily stopped printing flyers until the covid-19 situation improves a bit?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3976 posts
1936 upvotes
I missed the Sears Wish Book ... took a few years but I think I'm over it now.
May 16, 2012
180 posts
61 upvotes
Mississauga/Toronto
Digital flyers are a good improvement, but non print editions will be also mean the end of small local papers that are really just a method to distribute flyers.
To the above poster, I will also miss my local free paper I use to line my food bins.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20753 posts
4872 upvotes
Poormond Hill
I'm going to get a time capsule and put the last No Frills flyer in it and bury it in the ground for future archeologists to find!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
1691 posts
1252 upvotes
actng wrote: you've been a member here since 2010 and you felt this was a deal to post in hot deals forum?
Some people don't care and just want the attention, knowing the post will get moved.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2696 posts
2296 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
Eh I stopped reading paper flyers years ago. The digital ones have more sales listed and this may seem weird but I hate the smell of paper flyers. Just use a website/app like reebee and get all the flyers you could possibly want in one place.
Apr 5, 2010
676 posts
105 upvotes
Regina
dejreg wrote: Digital flyers are a good improvement, but non print editions will be also mean the end of small local papers that are really just a method to distribute flyers.
To the above poster, I will also miss my local free paper I use to line my food bins.
This is not limited to small locals. The flyer distribution business is a huge prop up for larger newspaper chains as well. Continue to see the death of the printed News industry, which by and large has failed to pivot into the future unfortunately.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
19392 posts
7028 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not sure if this is quite the end, it's just the end for now. I guess time will tell.

We have an aging generation who does not use the internet for shopping. I highly doubt many retailers can leave printer flyers - yet.
RedFlagDeals Addict