Automotive

End of lease (Audi) coming up - next (Audi vs Tesla) options - looking for advice

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2022 9:54 pm
Dec 5, 2020
348 posts
234 upvotes
wow, $11k equity in the S4 plus tax shield.

Tesla it is!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9587 posts
8140 upvotes
Kitchener
typer100 wrote: Bought my Tesla used. 2020 with less then 20000km from a Ford dealer. Only way to get fair price for your trade.
I would sell the S4 and overpay for a used car until the pandemic situation is more stable.
Fixed it for you.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1161 posts
1006 upvotes
Wow I'm shocked at the TIV Tesla is giving you, that wasn't the case a year or so ago for me. Looks like trade in is the way to go.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
3404 posts
2359 upvotes
Pothole city
Rob_EV wrote: Fixed it for you.
I'll like to fix you but it's hopeless...
Sep 10, 2008
9587 posts
8140 upvotes
Kitchener
typer100 wrote: I'll like to fix you but it's hopeless...
Fine, what kind of used car deal would you pick up for how much money?

I was looking at used Chrysler pricing (Canada wide) the other day and it was insane how little depreciation there was on a 2017. Figured there would be some deals to be had on high depreciation brands.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1261 posts
445 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Rob_EV wrote: Tesla EASILY has better ergonomics, tech and performance. It's also a larger vehicle (Model 3 vs A4) with FAR more space for luggage and centre console storage.
If we're talking about OP's vehicle, which is an S4 it is not smaller than the Model 3. Surprisingly they are very equal in terms of exterior dimensions, other than length and height, as well as interior dimensions. On the cargo side, no question since the Model 3 has a frunk.

On the ergonomic side, that is preference. The Model 3 seats are very uncomfortable for me compared to the sport seats in the S4. On the performance side, if we're talking non-P Model 3, no question the S4 is the better performer.

With the tech, can't argue there, but depending on the options the S4 is no slouch either.

I would keep the S4, or sell and buy another used car and keep the difference.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1161 posts
1006 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: I would question that.
Around equal with the long range AWD. That's until you throw on a tune in the S4 or the Tesla is low on juice.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
18022 posts
10823 upvotes
Ottawa
Ken_vs_Ryu wrote: Around equal with the long range AWD. That's until you throw on a tune in the S4 or the Tesla is low on juice.
Or you opt for the performance boost option on the 3 LR
Please update your profile to include your city. It's helpful when you post about something regional ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2011
1569 posts
1666 upvotes
Toronto
I am in a similar situation

Will buy out lease for $30 tax in, market value is $35-$40

If I can get a TIV around low end I’ll skip the private path….might even take 31-32 given tax savings brings me to low end

I asked another RFD and they had a similar car but newer by 2 years and it seems they recently received a middle range amount for their TIV vs market so that was pretty good in my books.

Edit: speak of the devil, got an email with my TIV and it’s $31k on the dot so I might do the trade now that it’s worth $35k with tax savings

Disclaimers of trade in say no major cosmetic or mechanical issues and no accidents and cannot add 1600km to the odometer mileage provided. I am gonna have to ask for an update as I just gave an approx current mileage during the online estimate…
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
2567 posts
2155 upvotes
Montreal
robbiemurray wrote: Thank you all for the super insightful responses.

1. Wife is on the road end of this month - so primary car will be making trips across ON
For work related ? If so, can she just not rent a car from Enterprise, Discount, etc. paid by her employer ? Or rent yourself and bill per use (0.XX$/km) ?
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1768 posts
1253 upvotes
Curious how long the trade-in value will stick. Delivery time is looking at months away for model3 SR+.
[OP]
Jul 18, 2012
546 posts
270 upvotes
Toronto
Just to update this thread.

I never ended up pursuing the deal over the summer/fall. But did end up putting in an order for a Tesla M3 Long Range in the first week of Jan. The updated trade in value from Tesla came in at about $9.5k.

I also put the car on Autotrader Instant Cash Offer - where the equity was calculated to be closer to $14k. I followed up with their participating dealer, who met couple of times and expressed interest. Of course upon actually meeting the dealer (Car Nation Canada Direct) offered me $9k of equity. I politely told them to take a hike, and after promising to get back to me with a more aggressive offer they went AWOL.

I also went through Clutch - who came back at about $8k of equity.

I finally ended up listing on Kijiji and Facebook, and had multiple dealers low ball/no show for 2-3 weeks. But recently a dealer approached me with an aggressive $12k of equity. I closed the sale this week.
Nov 23, 2013
313 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
I’d go with a Tesla.

I love Audis but it sounds like it’s a fun car for you and Tesla will be a fun no-headache car.

Change it up and if you really hate it for some reason you can always flip the Tesla easily and get into something new with Audi.

Audi’s EV (under $100k) start arriving in Canada likely in the second half of the year so you could always stay electric if that’s the goal.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15131 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: I would question that.
What? How? S4 is definitely the better performer than most Model 3s. However it doesn't need to be a Performance to beat the S4, just a Dual Motor/Long Range Model 3 is required. The LR will slightly edge it out in acceleration. However the Model 3 LR still has shitty brakes and the S4 easily stops significantly shorter; also comes up short in handling compared to the S4. Another thing is the EA839 with just a tune and 93+ fuel is around 450hp & 500lb*ft and should dust a Model 3 LR at that point. The Performance is of course a different story though.
warpdrive wrote: Or you opt for the performance boost option on the 3 LR
Which is over double the money of a typical canned tune for the S4, from any of the major tuners. Granted I'm presuming that $2000 USD option on the Model 3 allows you to still retain your warranty.

Anyway OP seems to have gotten their Model 3 that they seem insistent on calling an "M3" :rolleyes: so that pretty much sums up this thread lol. Amazing though that the market these days allows people in leases to have such strong "equity"--$12k in insane. I'd hate to be the fool on the other side of the equation (i.e. the people buying these cars for that kind of money in the used market).
Oct 17, 2021
479 posts
1069 upvotes
Congrats on the new M3 op, no more $80 fill ups at the gas station!
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
13440 posts
4344 upvotes
No brainer buy out and sell. Still good condition means buyers will give good price since low inventory situation.

Think about if you need car or not after buy out.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9598 posts
9094 upvotes
robbiemurray wrote: I finally ended up listing on Kijiji and Facebook, and had multiple dealers low ball/no show for 2-3 weeks. But recently a dealer approached me with an aggressive $12k of equity. I closed the sale this week.
Good job. Inventory is low and you are in the driving seat.
[OP]
Jul 18, 2012
546 posts
270 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: What? How? S4 is definitely the better performer than most Model 3s. However it doesn't need to be a Performance to beat the S4, just a Dual Motor/Long Range Model 3 is required. The LR will slightly edge it out in acceleration. However the Model 3 LR still has shitty brakes and the S4 easily stops significantly shorter; also comes up short in handling compared to the S4. Another thing is the EA839 with just a tune and 93+ fuel is around 450hp & 500lb*ft and should dust a Model 3 LR at that point. The Performance is of course a different story though.

Which is over double the money of a typical canned tune for the S4, from any of the major tuners. Granted I'm presuming that $2000 USD option on the Model 3 allows you to still retain your warranty.

Anyway OP seems to have gotten their Model 3 that they seem insistent on calling an "M3" :rolleyes: so that pretty much sums up this thread lol. Amazing though that the market these days allows people in leases to have such strong "equity"--$12k in insane. I'd hate to be the fool on the other side of the equation (i.e. the people buying these cars for that kind of money in the used market).
Eh cheers for the response.

I test drove the LR while I had the S4, and couldn’t find a discernible difference in breaking to call the M3LR brakes as “shitty”. That said, the ride was different, but I quite enjoyed it. I loved my S4 and will miss it dearly, but I am equally looking forward to the M3.

Also, lol @ the rolling eyes at calling it an M3. I’ve seen some BMWers get bent out of shape over it - but alas Model 3 are indeed going with that acronym nowadays. Lol

Finally, I spoke at length with the dealerships over what are they doing with these cars. It seems these cars are being cleaned, detailed, put into containers, and being shipped to the Mid East where they are being sold at a pretty penny. Lots of money to go around, and with the car shortages its quite the lucrative avenue to get “premium” cars. Again, I won’t necessarily call them “fools” buts that me :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)