Automotive

End of Lease process - looking for advice/help/tips!

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2019 9:41 am
[OP]
May 5, 2013
47 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga

End of Lease process - looking for advice/help/tips!

HI there,

I am coming up to my end of lease term and have never done the inspection/return of vehicle process before.
AUTOVIN was scheduled to come in, but missed their appointment today - not pleased, given the struggle to get the car seats in and out and be in one place for hours on end, but also not that surprised given previous reviews about the process.
Is there anything to suggest before the inspection?
Do I need to wipe down the seats, get the floor cleaned from winter salt etc..? would that make a huge difference in my final inspection report? or do they have some wear and tear expectations

I asked audi if I could drop it off at the dealership instead and they said yes, but better to send back to dealer that you signed the lease with and you would just get the report afterwards but could be charged if you neglect to leave any manuals/keys/mats/accessories.. They also said you can drop to dealer closer to you but they may reject if they don't have room on the lot.

any advice on that - would it be better odds on inspection report to drop at dealer vs. third party AUTOVIN?

Third question: we are looking at another company for new lease; they said they are willing to purchase the car outright on buyout value and their own inspection especially if the mileage is low compared to our allowance. Is this worth looking into (and do I just call up the original lease dealership for this amount prior to final inspection?)

Thanks in advance,
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5293 posts
2854 upvotes
Toronto
iamkoh wrote: HI there,

I am coming up to my end of lease term and have never done the inspection/return of vehicle process before.
AUTOVIN was scheduled to come in, but missed their appointment today - not pleased, given the struggle to get the car seats in and out and be in one place for hours on end, but also not that surprised given previous reviews about the process.
Is there anything to suggest before the inspection?
Do I need to wipe down the seats, get the floor cleaned from winter salt etc..? would that make a huge difference in my final inspection report? or do they have some wear and tear expectations

I asked audi if I could drop it off at the dealership instead and they said yes, but better to send back to dealer that you signed the lease with and you would just get the report afterwards but could be charged if you neglect to leave any manuals/keys/mats/accessories.. They also said you can drop to dealer closer to you but they may reject if they don't have room on the lot.

any advice on that - would it be better odds on inspection report to drop at dealer vs. third party AUTOVIN?

Third question: we are looking at another company for new lease; they said they are willing to purchase the car outright on buyout value and their own inspection especially if the mileage is low compared to our allowance. Is this worth looking into (and do I just call up the original lease dealership for this amount prior to final inspection?)

Thanks in advance,
Give the other dealer a shot. Seems like you don't have time for another appointment anyway. When I returned my leased car to pickup another from same dealer, they just crossed a line on the inspection sheet and was done with that. Think this would be same principal but more involved since they are buying from different brand.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2003
1892 posts
222 upvotes
I went through an inspection with Autovin recently. The process was fairly simple and painless. The agent do not discuss their report with you verbally. The report is available for online access within about 24hrs.

If you have the time, you should allow Autovin to do the inspection so you have time to fix any deficiencies. If you just drop it off at a dealer, any deficiencies will be fixed at dealer’s rate.

If your car has low mileage and is in good condition you should take it to the other brand and see if they’ll buy it out to resell. I would go to them first and see what they say. If they decide to buy it out, it will save you the trouble of going through the inspection.
Sep 30, 2004
714 posts
111 upvotes
Markham
Our lease was ending too and went with a different company that bought out the lease. Painless process.

You mentioned you had low mileage, you should check if it has equity on the car which they can pass the $ onto the new car. Not all dealership are honest that way.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2744 posts
1280 upvotes
Calgary
saw_mui wrote: Our lease was ending too and went with a different company that bought out the lease. Painless process.

You mentioned you had low mileage, you should check if it has equity on the car which they can pass the $ onto the new car. Not all dealership are honest that way.
If they are willing to buy it out for the buyout value, that means there is equity in it otherwise they wouldn't be doing it. OP could try and do this himself and make some money back, but for most people it's too much work/hassle to deal with it.