• May 22nd, 2020 8:16 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 28, 2006
323 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto

Enercare -Beware

I had the enercare home protection, heating and cooling plans for the past year. I saw the upped the prices by 30ish dollars, so I wanted to go ahead and cancel the plans.

Called them up, Service rep said she cannot cancel since I'm under a contract. They asked me to pay everything from now until May 2021 to cancel. I was shocked because a notification was not provided that my contract was renewed, They didn't even ask if they can go ahead and renew.

Its currently in dispute. Am I in the wrong somewhere?

My house is about 10 years old and furnace is most likely out of warranty. I know you can do without an AC plan, but having an operational heating system is an absolute must considering where we live.

Thoughts?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1138 posts
607 upvotes
Ripley
Cancel. What you owe between now and May 2021 is probably more than enough to cover a service call or two. After that all the money you would have spent on monthly fees is savings. Heating systems are a must. That is why there are so many HVAC companies. All of them can service your furnace as needed. You don't get faster or even better service just because you are paying a fee every month.
Jan 19, 2013
516 posts
304 upvotes
Ottawa
What did the original contract say when it comes to renewal?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
2753 posts
1424 upvotes
problemchild786 wrote: My house is about 10 years old and furnace is most likely out of warranty. I know you can do without an AC plan, but having an operational heating system is an absolute must considering where we live.

Thoughts?
Keep in mind, you don't need an extended warranty to get service (regardless of AC or furnace), as long as you have money to pair for the repairs.
zeddy wrote: Cancel. What you owe between now and May 2021 is probably more than enough to cover a service call or two. After that all the money you would have spent on monthly fees is savings. Heating systems are a must. That is why there are so many HVAC companies. All of them can service your furnace as needed. You don't get faster or even better service just because you are paying a fee every month.
If there is a contract, I would ride it out until end of contract. Why pay to get out now and lose out on the coverage that has to be paid anyways?
1chinaman wrote: What did the original contract say when it comes to renewal?
+1. The only way to know is read your original contract. I've never had an extended warrenty from Enercare, but their rentals are 'forever' until you take action to get out of the contract.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1138 posts
607 upvotes
Ripley
@RubberCheese because he doesn't know how he got into this contract. Will he really remember to call them in time next year? They count on you not remembering.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35227 posts
21212 upvotes
Center of Universe
Maintenance plans auto-renew...scumbags.
Offer ends May 31, 2020. Enercare Home and Commercial Services Limited Partnership (“Enercare”) reserves the right to change or cancel this offer at any time without prior notice. Certain terms and conditions apply. Offer is not available to existing 3 in 1 customers and is not available in all areas. Offer cannot be combined with another offer. You will receive a credit of $37.24/month + HST for the first 6 months following enrollment in the Plans. Must sign up for a one-year commitment, regardless of the method of payment, and Plans will be automatically renewed by Enercare on a yearly basis. You may cancel your Plans without penalty by providing notice prior to your Plan renewal date. Prices are subject to change and coverage is subject to the exceptions as set out in the Plan Terms and Conditions available at enercare.ca/terms.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
2753 posts
1424 upvotes
zeddy wrote: @RubberCheese because he doesn't know how he got into this contract. Will he really remember to call them in time next year? They count on you not remembering.
He seems to remember signing up, but didn't realize it would auto-renew.

I do agree though - if he isn't going to set a calendar reminder for himself, probably not a bad idea to bail.

edit - based on vkizzle's post, it might be possible to send a cancellation notice now to "not renew" rather than fully cancelling coverage (which may have been your original suggestion, that I didn't follow)!
[OP]
Sep 28, 2006
323 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto
Lol there is absolutely no notification or dates in the Enbridge bill.

How are you supposed to know. That is very sleazy
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35227 posts
21212 upvotes
Center of Universe
problemchild786 wrote: Lol there is absolutely no notification or dates in the Enbridge bill.

Enercare is not part of Enbridge.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4267 posts
3697 upvotes
Toronto
I have their heating protection plan (I know, not the smartest idea, but my furnace is ancient and I've needed it to be serviced in the past). They've always mailed a letter to me a few months before renewal, specifying the price and that it's an one year contract, paid monthly, and the date it will renew unless you call them to cancel.

So they definitely give notice. Perhaps OP tossed the letter without reading it or they have OP's address wrong, but they definitely send out renewal letters (it's negative instead of positive confirmation, but that's another issue). The details aren't in your gas bill.
[OP]
Sep 28, 2006
323 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto
Never got any mail from them. Not even an email. Absolutely nothing.

I will probably ignore that part of the bill, pay enbridge their part and leave them hanging. Eff em.

I was able to confirm Enbridge recieves the payments first, and transfers any excess to Enercare.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2294 posts
307 upvotes
Kitchener
You signed up to a plan that auto renews and got a promotional rate. The year went by and went back to the regular rate and you didn't cancel prior.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3917 posts
1899 upvotes
Thorkell wrote: Lol there is absolutely no notification or dates in the Enbridge bill.

God invented memories so you wouldn't forget things and he/she also invented pencils for you to jot things down just in case your memory failed.
[OP]
Sep 28, 2006
323 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto
Update - they fixed it for me. Took about two days. The disputes person at Enercare didn't argue even once, guess he knew the auto-renewal thing is flawed from a customer's standpoint.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2294 posts
307 upvotes
Kitchener
How is it flawed? LOL Most things auto renew, are they all flawed too?
Jun 10, 2020
1 posts
I had the plan. My air conditioning broke down. They said they cannot fix it.
I am having to replace the furnace and air conditioning unit. Still thbe contract has to be paid for the rest of the year.
Who broke the contract. Not me.
So why do I have to pay.
what should I do.
sit in the heat and call in for repairs every day