Home & Garden

Enercare charging me to pick up a broken water heater?

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2020 2:45 pm
[OP]
Jr. Member
Aug 15, 2009
166 posts
35 upvotes

Enercare charging me to pick up a broken water heater?

My enercare water heater (13 years old) broke 2 weeks ago. I ended up buying my own and replacing it. Enercare told me they would pick up it free of charge. When they picked it up they emailed me an invoice for 75 + tax. I feel like I'm being scammed - I explicitly was told that the pickup would be free and now they're charging me 75 to pick up a scrap piece of metal I could've left for the City to pick up. Has anybody else gone through this and have any suggestions on what to do?
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1308 posts
729 upvotes
Toronto
It's their heater, if they wanted it back it's up to them to pick it up. Don't see why you should be charged for them to come and pick up their property.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12284 posts
6846 upvotes
Brampton
They never pick up for free.

The cheapest was like $50 If you have it ready sitting on your driveway or porch. Probably bumped to 75 now

Its $150 IIRC to disconnect and lug it out.

The only time it's ever free is if you drop it off at their depot located at: a location horribly inconvenient for most between the hours of: inconvenient for anyone who has a job.

They might have thought that they were picking up an old tank and was replacing it.

If it were me I'd just pay the $75 make sure my file is closed and that's the last $75 they ever see from me and just cry my way to the bank after the first 2 years with a new tank that's bought out right.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4353 posts
3802 upvotes
Toronto
It's still their property, so you can't just dump it for garbage/scrap. It needed to be returned to them to stop charging the rental fee.

For me, I vaguely recall it was a fee for them for them to pick it up or free if I drop it off at their "depot", which was an obscure plumbing contractor far from me. Thankfully, it's not that heavy when empty and fit inside my SUV.

I agree with tebore. Just pay it; it's not worth the aggravation. Their reps deal with upset people constantly so they won't likely be swayed by anything you say.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2763 posts
1129 upvotes
Woodbridge
Currently due to Covid drop off at depot is not allowed ( AFAIK). They are picking the garbage for free since its not customers fault. Try giving a call and explain that you wanted to drop but could not. May be a single call will save you 75$.
ah_b wrote: My enercare water heater (13 years old) broke 2 weeks ago. I ended up buying my own and replacing it. Enercare told me they would pick up it free of charge. When they picked it up they emailed me an invoice for 75 + tax. I feel like I'm being scammed - I explicitly was told that the pickup would be free and now they're charging me 75 to pick up a scrap piece of metal I could've left for the City to pick up. Has anybody else gone through this and have any suggestions on what to do?
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Furnace & Central AC Group Buy 2021
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 2, 2012
3729 posts
2703 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
ah_b wrote: My enercare water heater (13 years old) broke 2 weeks ago. I ended up buying my own and replacing it. Enercare told me they would pick up it free of charge. When they picked it up they emailed me an invoice for 75 + tax. I feel like I'm being scammed - I explicitly was told that the pickup would be free and now they're charging me 75 to pick up a scrap piece of metal I could've left for the City to pick up. Has anybody else gone through this and have any suggestions on what to do?
This is why you should never rent a water heater, or any other HVAC equipment. These companies will squeeze every penny out the customer, and then some. Did they charge you an 'administration fee' to close you account? That's my personal favourite.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1211 posts
677 upvotes
Ripley
Around here Reliance makes you pay even if you drop it off at their depot.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Aug 15, 2009
166 posts
35 upvotes
newlyborn wrote: Currently due to Covid drop off at depot is not allowed ( AFAIK). They are picking the garbage for free since its not customers fault. Try giving a call and explain that you wanted to drop but could not. May be a single call will save you 75$.
Thanks I may try that. I inherited the water heater when I bought my home. Honestly I'm mad because I was given two options (drop off or pick up) and was told both options were free of charge, so I feel like I was lied to.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4845 posts
1383 upvotes
Wat
Is this a way to end a rental? Did they have to verify that the heater is btoken?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 1, 2001
1072 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto
jm1 wrote: It's still their property, so you can't just dump it for garbage/scrap. It needed to be returned to them to stop charging the rental fee.

For me, I vaguely recall it was a fee for them for them to pick it up or free if I drop it off at their "depot", which was an obscure plumbing contractor far from me. Thankfully, it's not that heavy when empty and fit inside my SUV.

I agree with tebore. Just pay it; it's not worth the aggravation. Their reps deal with upset people constantly so they won't likely be swayed by anything you say.
Just be happy you water heater broke and therefore you could replace without buying it out. I paid $800 for my 11 year old reliance heater because I didn't have a choice
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
4959 posts
1839 upvotes
ah_b wrote: My enercare water heater (13 years old) broke 2 weeks ago. I ended up buying my own and replacing it. Enercare told me they would pick up it free of charge. When they picked it up they emailed me an invoice for 75 + tax. I feel like I'm being scammed - I explicitly was told that the pickup would be free and now they're charging me 75 to pick up a scrap piece of metal I could've left for the City to pick up. Has anybody else gone through this and have any suggestions on what to do?
It's because you went and installed your own HWT ...

Yes ... it is their equipment ... and there is nothing you can do.

Did you get the agent's name that "told you it would be a FREE pickup"? If you did ... escalate the issue to his/her manager and then higher up if needed. [ oh ... be prepared to spend a couple hours on the phone with them ]

Otherwise, too bad so sad.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1644 posts
739 upvotes
Was it a rental? If it was, then you'd have to pay out the fee for it. In my old house, I "bought" the remaining value of it for $50. It was like 18 years old by then and was dying so I paid it out and when I bought a new one and replaced it, the installer simply took the old one away.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2409 posts
411 upvotes
Kitchener
Why would they pick up the tank for free? Do you leave your leased car in your garage and tell them to come get it for free?

And ignore the guy who said don't pay the invoice. That's a solid way of impacting your credit score, having them send it to collections and be constantly reminded on your enbridge bill (if that's your gas provider).

Just pay it and move on.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 25, 2004
1009 posts
475 upvotes
Longueuil
Double_J wrote: Why would they pick up the tank for free? Do you leave your leased car in your garage and tell them to come get it for free?

And ignore the guy who said don't pay the invoice. That's a solid way of impacting your credit score, having them send it to collections and be constantly reminded on your enbridge bill (if that's your gas provider).

Just pay it and move on.
A car rental and a water heater rental are 2 very different things, you can't compare them (and obviously, it is easier to move a car then a water heater). In fact, a car rental can't be compared to any other rental IMO. What other rental are you responsible and paying for specific maintenance and repairs (I am not talking about destroying or damaging the rental item of course)? I don't know of any... Usually, when you rent you don't have to deal with maintenance and repair, the owner takes care of everything.

I would fight the bill if they told you it was free but don't ignore it because as it was said, it can affect your credit. For $75 it is really a bad idea.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2006
1009 posts
471 upvotes
tebore wrote: They never pick up for free.
Not in my case. It all depends on what your contract was established. When I cancelled my water heater contract, I confirmed with the CSR at the time and he advised me there were different contracts established throughout the years and since mine was established in 2003, there would be no pick up charge.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2409 posts
411 upvotes
Kitchener
JEDI Force wrote: A car rental and a water heater rental are 2 very different things, you can't compare them (and obviously, it is easier to move a car then a water heater). In fact, a car rental can't be compared to any other rental IMO. What other rental are you responsible and paying for specific maintenance and repairs (I am not talking about destroying or damaging the rental item of course)? I don't know of any... Usually, when you rent you don't have to deal with maintenance and repair, the owner takes care of everything.

I would fight the bill if they told you it was free but don't ignore it because as it was said, it can affect your credit. For $75 it is really a bad idea.
True. I guess instead of leasing a car I should have said rented. You wouldn't pay maintenance on a rental car. Other rented items often need to be returned or charges are applied. Tools, party items, and so on.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 25, 2004
1009 posts
475 upvotes
Longueuil
Double_J wrote: True. I guess instead of leasing a car I should have said rented. You wouldn't pay maintenance on a rental car. Other rented items often need to be returned or charges are applied. Tools, party items, and so on.
Yes. In fact you made me notice the difference between a car rental (I said rental in my reply but I meant lease) and a car lease (in French there is only 1 word, the same word is used for a car rental of 4 days or a car lease of 4 years).
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...

Top