Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2005
2208 posts
1166 upvotes

Enercare Credits! YMMV

Retailer:
Enercare
Hey All,

So not a sale, but a discount nonetheless that many of us can take advantage of...

I called Enercare (yes they are a ripoff) to see what my buy-out was on my rental house's hot water heater (installed 2011). The lady offered me 3 months credit as a retention credit ($98 in total). She advised I wait the three billing cycles from when the credit starts and then decide if you want to do the buy-out, or they will claw back the credit. I took that and said thank you...will revisit in 3-4 months...

So I waited and called back on my primary house's hot water tank, and got the same deal offered, but then she upped it to 6 months worth of credit this time! ($208). So all in all, saved over $300 for maybe 20 minutes of my time. Every little bit helps these days!

Phone is 1 855 255 5458, the people I spoke with were very nice...Hope this helps some folks with bills in the upcoming months!

EDIT: Courtesy of @Double_J For Reliance folks...

Call Reliance and tell them you are switching your tank to Enercare because they have a promotion for new customers. They will give you the equivalent amount as a credit on your account.

Before you call you must know what kind of tank you have....
If you have:
Tankless or power vent you get $800
Conventional tank will get you $400

Good Luck!
Last edited by Psyclist on Apr 24th, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
836 replies
Jun 15, 2018
283 posts
1389 upvotes
Toronto
Bought out my water heater five years ago for $80...I was paying $40/month to rent it. My only regret is not having done it earlier.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2005
2208 posts
1166 upvotes
At 9 years old they still want almost $700 for mine...price drops on your anniversary date, so may wait till then and then dump em.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
2427 posts
2060 upvotes
GTA
The government should outlaw the ripoff buyout prices these guys usually charge. If you have a choice never rent it will cost you 3 or 4 times the amount of buying one over the life of the heater.
Jul 14, 2004
349 posts
41 upvotes
Thanks for this reminder, I was curious of the buy out price on my water heater and got offered 3 months of free rental as well.
Feb 9, 2011
62 posts
56 upvotes
Barrie
sirjimitron wrote: Bought out my water heater five years ago for $80...I was paying $40/month to rent it. My only regret is not having done it earlier.
How old was your heater at the time?
Jun 15, 2018
283 posts
1389 upvotes
Toronto
Blueribbon77 wrote: How old was your heater at the time?
It was around 18 years old...my mother was the one paying the bill and I couldn't believe it. Called the number and bought it out ASAP.
Apr 7, 2020
45 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa
Interesting, I called last month to inquire about cancelling and got no offers. My HWT is only two years old so the fee is about what I'd expect to pay for a new install (~$1400), will call again soon and see if they have better offers.
Dec 3, 2013
432 posts
61 upvotes
Brampton, ON
my tank is 14 years old...the buyout is $200.. enercare is offering to pay for the new installation of another tank and still pay my current monthly rental fee. Is this worth it? I have had a few issues before where they would come and fix it no charge, so peace of mind I guess but I know buying a tank from Lowes or home depot and pay for installation might save more money in the long run, unless I move of course
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
2427 posts
2060 upvotes
GTA
hammerofhope wrote: Interesting, I called last month to inquire about cancelling and got no offers. My HWT is only two years old so the fee is about what I'd expect to pay for a new install (~$1400), will call again soon and see if they have better offers.
Pay it off you will save thousands. That $1400 is just under 3 years of rental charges at $40 per month. You are paying over 5 times the cost of purchasing over the 15 year life span. So that $1400 water heater costs you $7200.
Jun 16, 2008
863 posts
764 upvotes
Thanks for this, just called and got 3 months' rental fees credited.
Apr 7, 2020
45 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa
tew wrote: Pay it off you will save thousands. That $1400 is just under 3 years of rental charges at $40 per month. You are paying over 5 times the cost of purchasing over the 15 year life span. So that $1400 water heater costs you $7200.
Oh I get it, just the buyout price decrements at the end of May since that's the two-year anniversary, so that's when I would cancel the contract.
Feb 9, 2011
62 posts
56 upvotes
Barrie
Thanks OP! I called and the buyout on my heater was $25 plus hst. I was paying $35 a month for the rental. Lol
Jun 2, 2018
102 posts
51 upvotes
Called in just now, no credit was offered.