• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2018 11:19 am
[OP]
Mar 6, 2017
76 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto, ON

EnerCare water heater model for buyout?

I'm getting tired of paying "protection money" to Enercare for my water heater rental. I am considering cancelling the contract and buying out the heater. I am trying to find out how much I'd have to pay, but I cannot see my water heater model listed on the Enercare buyout site. How do I find the model? I'll include a photo of the manual and service tag when I get home, but they are different from the models listed on the site. The heater is about 2+ years old.
Any suggestions, hints, advice? Thanks!
Images
  • giant.jpg
Last edited by ThereAndBackAgain on Feb 8th, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1896 posts
186 upvotes
Curious on this too. I just got a new house and payed my first months rental fee which was $40 plus tax. After 1.5 years I can basically own the water heater for that price, though I'm not sure what the buyout / installation cost is for a new water heater.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2445 posts
1419 upvotes
Alliston, ON
The buyout will be a couple thousand for such a new tank. If you are as lucky as me and have one of the envirosense condensing water heaters, then the buyout is more like $3200
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33805 posts
7447 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Call Enercare and ask them for the buyout schedule.

I also have an Envirosense water heater and it cost me $3800 to buy it out.

They're all crooks
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1896 posts
186 upvotes
Gee wrote: Call Enercare and ask them for the buyout schedule.

I also have an Envirosense water heater and it cost me $3800 to buy it out.

They're all crooks
My house is 2 months old, 1600 sqft home, buyout is $3500 + tax. ~$4000. Does a new tank and installation cost $4000?
Though these tanks go for ~$1000, so installation cost is $3000? wtf?
Believe my tank is also the Envirosense model, will have to double check.

The rental cost for 5 years is $2803 with taxes. Getting charged $41+tax per month. How much one would actually save by having a tankless system, wondering if it is worth the investment? As a side note if one rents the whole house is the tank heater rental passed onto the renter?
Dec 29, 2014
289 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I was wondering about this too. I've been renting a hot water heater through Enercare for over 10 years and I don't see a buyout clause on my bill. If I were to cancel the rental, would I have to pay a penalty even though I've been renting for over 10 years?
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1366 posts
799 upvotes
ottawa
Striker60 wrote: I was wondering about this too. I've been renting a hot water heater through Enercare for over 10 years and I don't see a buyout clause on my bill. If I were to cancel the rental, would I have to pay a penalty even though I've been renting for over 10 years?
Yes you would. It's a revolving contract, you can get out of it if your water heater dies and you no longer want them to install a new one....

I'm surprised more people don't pull the anode rod for a year or two...
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2445 posts
1419 upvotes
Alliston, ON
barqers wrote: Yes you would. It's a revolving contract, you can get out of it if your water heater dies and you no longer want them to install a new one....

I'm surprised more people don't pull the anode rod for a year or two...
That's not correct. If the tank was installed before Sept 2010 (more than 8yrs old) then you are under the old contract terms that allow you to pay a small fee and cancel your rental
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1366 posts
799 upvotes
ottawa
schade wrote: That's not correct. If the tank was installed before Sept 2010 (more than 8yrs old) then you are under the old contract terms that allow you to pay a small fee and cancel your rental
Exactly, pay a fee... What I was trying to say was that you cannot simply leave the contract, you're still locked in and can't get out for free either way.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33805 posts
7447 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
reggyDeal wrote: My house is 2 months old, 1600 sqft home, buyout is $3500 + tax. ~$4000. Does a new tank and installation cost $4000?
Though these tanks go for ~$1000, so installation cost is $3000? wtf?
Believe my tank is also the Envirosense model, will have to double check.

The rental cost for 5 years is $2803 with taxes. Getting charged $41+tax per month. How much one would actually save by having a tankless system, wondering if it is worth the investment? As a side note if one rents the whole house is the tank heater rental passed onto the renter?
The size of the home has no bearing on the size of the tank. It really depends on how much water you use. My guess is you have a 50 gallon tank. To be fair, the Envirosense tanks are 78 - 93% efficient and they do cost considerably more. I have not found these in big box stores and most HVAC guys are selling these for $2200 - $2500 installed. The $3800 I paid included tax.

If you are the owner (landlord) of the house, and you rent it, technically, you're still responsible for paying the rental on the water heater. I would just include the cost of the rental in the rent.

I have been debating over tankless and my conclusion is that you will save some money long term (especially with gas). But there are advantages to both tank and tankless systems. For now, I have decided to stick with a tank.

If you're in a new home with a tight envelope (Energy Star), your rental company is probably Cricket. My original buy out for my tank was $4500, I was able to negotiate the price down. I suggest you call and see if you can get the price reduced. In the end, Cricket did make $1000 profit from me. I just couldn't bother removing the tank and paying the pick up fees etc. That alone would cost me $600
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1896 posts
186 upvotes
barqers wrote: Exactly, pay a fee... What I was trying to say was that you cannot simply leave the contract, you're still locked in and can't get out for free either way.
What's strange here is that the customer of the new build does not get the option of buying the water-heater from the starts. It's assumed one want's to rent. And then one has to pay a penalty to opt. out of the contract. hmm.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33805 posts
7447 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
reggyDeal wrote: What's strange here is that the customer of the new build does not get the option of buying the water-heater from the starts. It's assumed one want's to rent. And then one has to pay a penalty to opt. out of the contract. hmm.
It’s not strange at all. The builder doesn’t want to buy you a new water heater (extra expense) so they opt to rent. But the main reason is that builders also bid it out. The one that offers the largest kick back gets the contract to install their rental units. They do the same for cable and phone lines.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1162 posts
653 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
schade wrote: That's not correct. If the tank was installed before Sept 2010 (more than 8yrs old) then you are under the old contract terms that allow you to pay a small fee and cancel your rental
What fee? In talking with Enercare in the past about terminating my contract, there was no mention of a fee. Only fee that would be charged if Enercare disconnected the tank and/or picked up the tank.

After noticing in my last gas bill Enercare raised my rental fee almost a full $1/month. Looking at the buyout option they still want $430 for a 12yr old tank, unbelievable! Hopefully next month , the plan is to purchase a new tank and break free from Enercare.
Dec 29, 2014
289 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Bianco13 wrote: What fee? In talking with Enercare in the past about terminating my contract, there was no mention of a fee. Only fee that would be charged if Enercare disconnected the tank and/or picked up the tank.

After noticing in my last gas bill Enercare raised my rental fee almost a full $1/month. Looking at the buyout option they still want $430 for a 12yr old tank, unbelievable! Hopefully next month , the plan is to purchase a new tank and break free from Enercare.
I think he meant that the smaller fee was charged instead of a buyout. Does your bill show the price of the buyout or any mention of it, if breaking the contract or did you find out about it only when you called them?
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1162 posts
653 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Striker60 wrote: I think he meant that the smaller fee was charged instead of a buyout. Does your bill show the price of the buyout or any mention of it, if breaking the contract or did you find out about it only when you called them?
My bill does not show the buyout price. The buyout price is on Enercare's website. When I called Enercare last year, they said the only charge would be if they disconnect and picked up the tank.
Dec 29, 2014
289 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Bianco13 wrote: My bill does not show the buyout price. The buyout price is on Enercare's website. When I called Enercare last year, they said the only charge would be if they disconnect and picked up the tank.

Mine was installed before 2010 and the terms and conditions listed on their site indicate that there's a $75 disconnection fee. I found their buyout schedule but I can't find my model listed. Still, it gives me an idea of how much I'd have to pay.

https://www.enercare.ca/sites/default/f ... hedule.pdf
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1162 posts
653 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Striker60 wrote: Mine was installed before 2010 and the terms and conditions listed on their site indicate that there's a $75 disconnection fee.
When installing the new tank, as long as the plumber or gas fitter is disconnecting the old tank the $75 disconnection fee does not apply. You just have to ensure the old tank is dropped off at one of the Enercare's depots so no additional charges are applied.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1896 posts
186 upvotes
OP what have you decided to do, keep renting or buy out?
[OP]
Mar 6, 2017
76 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I've finally managed to add a photo of my water heater. Does anyone know a corresponding model on the Enercare buyout sheet?
Thank you