Automotive

Engine Air Filters when do you change them ?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2021 7:44 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2008
1184 posts
1879 upvotes
Montreal

Engine Air Filters when do you change them ?

When Toyota dealer inspected my Prius Prime before the 3 warranty ran out, one observation was the change the cabin air filter. Nothing regarding the engine Air filter.

So I went ahead and did replace both, but since there is no defined service interval other than inspect and replace if required. What exactly are we looking for ?

Here is the used Denso OEM air filter beside the replacement WIX part.

Not sure if the Denso started its life with the same color as the WIX

So for those of your that work in garages, when do you tell a customer a filter has be changed and when is blowing compressed air to clean it not enough ?
75 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Depends how much you drive it and use the vents. I always blow it out to improve life. Basically changed when it smells, or gets too dirty, or replace yearly if you drive regularly. They're like $10-20.
For engine filter, go by mileage, again blowing it out can extend life to maybe double the recommendation.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2005
3867 posts
437 upvotes
Thornhill
I'd do air filter every 20-30K. If you drive in construction areas a lot you want to change it more often.

Cabin filter I change every year.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1676 posts
2992 upvotes
a dirty air filer can restrict airflow to your engine. this could somewhat affect performance. it will not affect l/100km and will not cause any issues unless it is extremely blocked.

i change the air filter on my bmw every 2nd or 3rd oil change. on my other vehicles i change them rarely, every 3-5 years probably.
science is not an opinion contest
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
I was told it was dirty when I had the oil change done on our RAV4H but I told the service advisor I was going to replace it myself.

When I got home, the air cleaner element wasn't that dirty (I've seen dirtier on my Accord and Civic) but since I opened it up already, I decided to change it as it will probably be good for another two to three years though I bought them in the States. Vehicle at 81k and I think I replaced it two years ago at 64k.

We did go to several camping sites (this year, never before) where it was dusty so I thought I might as well change the filter this year.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8429 posts
4672 upvotes
Durham
naimc wrote: When Toyota dealer inspected my Prius Prime before the 3 warranty ran out, one observation was the change the cabin air filter. Nothing regarding the engine Air filter.

So I went ahead and did replace both, but since there is no defined service interval other than inspect and replace if required. What exactly are we looking for ?

Here is the used Denso OEM air filter beside the replacement WIX part.

Not sure if the Denso started its life with the same color as the WIX

So for those of your that work in garages, when do you tell a customer a filter has be changed and when is blowing compressed air to clean it not enough ?
ALL LISTED IN THE MANUAL THAT COMES WITH THE VEHICLE. READ IT.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2008
1184 posts
1879 upvotes
Montreal
jdmfishingonly wrote: ALL LISTED IN THE MANUAL THAT COMES WITH THE VEHICLE. READ IT.
Ok Professor apparently I can't read , your skills are better than mine and thank for the all caps ! makes your post stand-out, might have missed it otherwise.

Here is my manual :
http://s3.amazonaws.com/toyota.site.p01 ... 47A88U.pdf

Lots of hits about the cabin filter which I have changed, nothing really about the engine air filter.

quote from the manual "Timing of cleaning filters differs depending on the use environment of the vehicle."

The only vague reference is on page 564.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2005
5218 posts
1240 upvotes
Burlington
I just do what the manual tells me.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
2045 posts
918 upvotes
Elgin, ON
Engine air filters.

I have 80,000km on my original air filter. Truck runs smooth, l/100km is same as always. I have a new one sitting in the garage. Should defiantly change it.

In my wife’s car, I’ve changed it once in 110,000km.

Cabin air filters.

My last truck did not have one. I literally don’t know if my current vehicles have them.
Aug 13, 2003
669 posts
542 upvotes
Calgary
Or just go by the old method of holding the air filter up to the light/sun. If you can't see the light then change it.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
2372 posts
3008 upvotes
I see a lot of new filters but the housings are full of dust, sand, leaves, bugs. It just contaminates the new filter quicker.

At least clean it with a rag, or better, remove it wash it with a water hose.

Another suggestion, tape a screen over the inlet duct. It will act as a pre filter. It will keep the bigger particles out like leaves and feathers.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1085 posts
900 upvotes
I take it out once or twice a year to inspect... I usually change mine every 2 years. Being a $30-40 item I don't mind changing more frequently, the book I believe calls for 48k km or 3 years, that's an okay guideline but at the end of the day it really depends on the environment.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8429 posts
4672 upvotes
Durham
naimc wrote: Ok Professor apparently I can't read , your skills are better than mine and thank for the all caps ! makes your post stand-out, might have missed it otherwise.

Here is my manual :
http://s3.amazonaws.com/toyota.site.p01 ... 47A88U.pdf

Lots of hits about the cabin filter which I have changed, nothing really about the engine air filter.

quote from the manual "Timing of cleaning filters differs depending on the use environment of the vehicle."

The only vague reference is on page 564.
In the warranty & maintenance manual:
IMG_20210925_090307.jpg
IMG_20210925_090340.jpg
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Apr 18, 2011
476 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
So, according to the warranty and maintenance manual the air filter replacement interval is 32,000 km or 20 months, right?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19791 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
Funny story about air filter. Co-worker had no clue, he ask me to drive his Acura TLX.

The drive was little rough, so I ask him when was the last time he changed the oil, filters, etc. He points at the glove box...

I don't know where he takes it for service he said they checked everything. He fills up gas and I popped the hood, not surprised the filter was black AF. I told him you need to find a new mechanic.

As for me, I check it whenever I change the oil in fall and spring and go from there.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
My older Civic would have something that looks like oil in the air cleaner element filter haha.

I do miss that car. No need to wipe sap or bird poop.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2792 posts
419 upvotes
Mississauga
Cabin Air Filter - I check it myself every 3 months then "guess" how long then change it. I have my fan on/running all the time so I want to check it.

Engine Air Filter - I check 3 - 6 months
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
3167 posts
3653 upvotes
Toronto
Never had cabin air filters for generations and never had any problems, giant cash grab in my opinion and the cabin air filters are expensive. I dont touch them unless i notice reduced air flow at which point I'll replace.

Regular air filters for the engine is important, I check a ciuple times a year and blow it out, replace every year.
“Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age.....and dreams are forever.”
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1698 posts
999 upvotes
Every year for both the engine and cabin filter. That is somehwere about 20-25k. They are so cheap from rockauto i dont see why you wouldnt.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6827 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
Dealers love to offer to change your engine or cabin filter - it's a big profit item to them especially since most drivers don't have a clue as to where these things are and have never looked at them themselves. And as someone has mentioned, monitoring and changing the engine filter is more important than the cabin filter.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)