Engine carbon cleaning

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2019 4:26 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
All of those treatments work better at cleaning your pocket than cleaning your engine.

Only think that will work from all my reading is blasting and a couple of aftermarket mods that you use in conjunction with an Italian tune up.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3952 posts
2856 upvotes
Toronto
----------
Last edited by drz400 on Jul 25th, 2022 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3083 posts
1445 upvotes
GTA
Messerschmitt wrote: GDI, worst invention ever. Glad my car is lower tier and came with MPI
Translation: I don't understand how engines work
Mar 22, 2004
844 posts
682 upvotes
London, ON

Scotty is usually pretty critical of snake oil, so I'm surprised that he's suggesting this one. I'd be curious if it works.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
ncnmra wrote:

Scotty is usually pretty critical of snake oil, so I'm surprised that he's suggesting this one. I'd be curious if it works.
Even a broken clock is right 2x a day. Scotty is a bit of a raving lunatic. There's much more reliable sources of car info around.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4615 posts
3080 upvotes
Carbon deposits still have to go some where? They don't just disappear so kinda skeptical about these snakeoils.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
cristianosham wrote: Carbon deposits still have to go some where? They don't just disappear so kinda skeptical about these snakeoils.
In theory they go out the exhaust as small particles. If you had a lot of carbon, it would be much better to suck them out with walnut blasting, so you don't clog your turbo/cats.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1401 upvotes
hightech wrote: TrevorK and burnt69

Thank you for the info. This is indeed news to me as I have always changed the oil on my vehicle following the 8,000 KM/6 month interval using 0W20 Synthetic Oil (Pennzoil Platinum, Toyota, Quaker State). I have never owned a DI engine and always a Fuel Injected one.

I think this info would be something dealerships and others might not inform people of as it hurts their revenue.
Its very counterintuitive to mechanics who have spent their entire lifetimes having lubricant industry propaganda drilled into their head that frequent oil changes are required and beneficial. Also, they tend to see the worst cases of neglect, ie: people who don't follow the owners manual, but perhaps go double or triple the interval, without bothering to check the oil level (the sludged engines almost always have been run low on oil!), so it becomes self-reinforcing.

But once a few moments are taken to understand the chain of events that gives rise to the DI intake contamination problems, it is pretty obvious.

The engine OEMs over the past few years have exerted some pretty major leverage on the oil industry to make better products that are more tolerant of frequent oil changes (ie: lower NOACK volatility numbers), have utilized driver-focused measures such as oil life monitors, and have even cracked down on dealer practice of using oils not sourced from the OEM's supply chains. Outfits like Honda have even made their branded/bulk synthetic fluids available basically at 'cost' to dealers, so the dealers aren't tempted to substitute non-OEM parts.