• May 10th, 2020 11:16 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 9, 2008
575 posts
126 upvotes
Ottawa

Engine knocking 2019 Corolla

Just drove a 2019 corolla hatchback that had a terrible knock. Starts at around 2000rpm

I know they had a cvt recall. But I haven’t heard anything about the engine.

My guess was that it never had an oil change. But it only has 16,000km so even if it had no oil changes it wouldn’t/shouldn’t be in that condition in my opinion.

Any guesses? It’s been sitting for at least 4 months.

Edit-fixed the title
Last edited by d5486 on May 9th, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
12 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12210 posts
587 upvotes
Toronto
Hard to describe without a video of the actual sound. Is it during cold starts only? Does it go away when the engine is warm?

edit: great thread title
Deal with it.
[OP]
Nov 9, 2008
575 posts
126 upvotes
Ottawa
I drove it for about 20mins total. A minute or two to warm up. So not much.

There was no noise when I was first accelerating. Started after I stopped and went up to 70kmh almost flooring the pedal...almost.

Then it was there whenever I hit 2000rpm even standing in neutral-pressing the gas pedal.

What would be the cause if it happened on cold starts only? I noticed it only when the engine warmed up. Asking because I’m curious.

I don’t think the fact that it sat for a long time should cause this. But I don’t know. (And if it did. It most likely won’t just go away)
Sep 4, 2006
626 posts
229 upvotes
Ottawa
Did you check the oil? Has the oil been checked in 16000km? It could easily be low on oil in 16k. Waaaaay low.
[OP]
Nov 9, 2008
575 posts
126 upvotes
Ottawa
Sadly I didn’t.

Oil being low may be the cause. Makes sense to me after reading about it for an hour or so!

If so, and they replace the oil, is the engine already damaged? How badly?
I guess it’s only a guess. Maybe there have been other test drives...and maybe not.

I’m leaning towards letting this car go. It was a test drive at a used car dealership. And the guy didn’t insist too much but he said it was probably a shield rattling. Definitely not that.
Last edited by d5486 on May 9th, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oct 24, 2018
316 posts
294 upvotes
My guess is old gas. Drain the fuel tank, get fresh gas.

I'd also reset the main computer by disconnecting the battery for a while, but that is just me.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12210 posts
587 upvotes
Toronto
d5486 wrote: I’m leaning towards letting this car go. It was a test drive at a used car dealership. And the guy didn’t insist too much but he said it was probably a shield rattling. Definitely not that.
It's a 2019 Corolla. There are plenty out there. Find one that doesn't have any problems, which isn't hard to do.
Deal with it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32633 posts
18430 upvotes
Ottawa
Let it go, let it go....
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4359 posts
5102 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What do you like about this particular sample? The previous owner's gases?
Feb 22, 2020
72 posts
163 upvotes
Winnipeg
d5486 wrote: Just drove a 2019 corolla hatchback that had a terrible knock. Starts at around 2000rpm

I know they had a cvt recall. But I haven’t heard anything about the engine.

My guess was that it never had an oil change. But it only has 16,000km so even if it had no oil changes it wouldn’t/shouldn’t be in that condition in my opinion.

Any guesses? It’s been sitting for at least 4 months.

Edit-fixed the title
You'll have better luck posting this question here: https://www.toyotanation.com/forums/cor ... 16-18.377/

This forum is specific for your gen of corolla. No problem is truly unique, so hopefully someone there can help you out. I suggest searching that forum first to see if there's already an answer.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
4788 posts
2335 upvotes
Toronto
Just did a first oil change on 2019 Corolla hb last week at 4000 kms. No knocking you speak of before or after. Only thing I can think is direct injectors are loud in this thing and maybe you are hearing as knocking. But it's ticking all the time.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10114 posts
2168 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
d5486 wrote: I’m leaning towards letting this car go. It was a test drive at a used car dealership. And the guy didn’t insist too much but he said it was probably a shield rattling. Definitely not that.
Doubt it, hes probably aware of the issue/sound which is why its on a used car lot so early in its life. There is a chance something major is wrong with it, I would let it go and find something else. However if you do decide to buy it make sure you 100% take that car to a good mechanic or the dealer for a full inspection, especially the sound. If the used car dealer does not allow you to or says it already comes certified and no need DO NOT Believe him they can easily get those without actually looking at the car. Walk away if they dont let you take it to your mechanic of choice.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32633 posts
18430 upvotes
Ottawa
peteryorkuca wrote: Just did a first oil change on 2019 Corolla hb last week at 4000 kms. No knocking you speak of before or after. Only thing I can think is direct injectors are loud in this thing and maybe you are hearing as knocking. But it's ticking all the time.
Yeah, ticking for sure due to DI and the fact that the HB doesn't have any hood insulation.