Automotive

Engine related diagnostics - Dealership vs Independant?

• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2019 4:21 pm
[OP]
Jan 21, 2011
107 posts
18 upvotes

Engine related diagnostics - Dealership vs Independant?

Hey all,

I am wondering if anyone has done engine diagnostics for engine misfires / carbon buildup issues at an independant shop, and whether its worth it to go to dealership to do it for more $$$. Do the dealerships do tests / have tools that these independant shops dont? or are the tests pretty similar

Also, some autobody shops have told me they can't do anything without a code, yet other oil changing shops like Valvoline Express has told me they do full diagnostics. Is there a reason for this?
3 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
44602 posts
7683 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Take it to a indie shop that specializes in your make. You’ll most likely get a better value and the quality will be the same or better then dealership.

edit : Today I was at a indie shop run by a former master toyota technician.

His service was good and friendly. Quality of work was good. Price was actually reasonable... I mean its not drop dead low price (thats a sign they will cut corners with parts cost and effort). But a fair price for a good job.

One thing that did suck... He had NO waiting area... Except for 2 dusty chairs right on the shop floor. He is running the shop solo. So no helpers who could drop off/pick up to the closest coffee shop.
Aside from good manners, and prompt replies... The experience was a bit lacking.
But is that worth $120/hour dealership shop rate + questionable suggestions and service... compared to the guy's $80/hour
Last edited by UrbanPoet on May 6th, 2019 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2960 posts
2862 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I'd only go to a dealership for it if i thought it would be covered by warranty (depending on your mileage and warranty of course), otherwise like the prev poster said go to a indie shop.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15639 posts
16790 upvotes
Oakville
UrbanPoet wrote: Take it to a indie shop that specializes in your make. You’ll most likely get a better value and the quality will be the same or better then dealership.
+1, Also, OP, Valvoline Express does not specialize in anything but ripping you off.