Careers

[Engineering] Can somebody please tell me information about the field

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2018 10:44 pm
[OP]
Feb 25, 2018
1 posts

[Engineering] Can somebody please tell me information about the field

Hi all, I'm an overseas Canadian who grown up and lived in Hong Kong for my entire life (23 years).
Recently I'm considering moving back and settle down in Canada after...maybe 5 years.
I'm now working as an electrical engineer assistant in Hong Kong (for contractor with new building projects), probability will have promotion to an electrical engineer after few months.
The problem is : the duty of the job I'm now having in Hong Kong is to have drawing, material/ testing form submission , attend client meeting & to coordinate some site works.
Since the industry in Hong Kong divided jobs of System design to consultants & Site work to contractors separately. Do my job duty looks like a foreman?
Should I gain some design experience by working in consultant before moving back if I want to be a Electrical Engineer in Canada?
As I found all the job duties on Indeed included system design.
Very confusing about the difference of industrial culture.
I'll appreciate a lot if somebody can help.
3 replies
Sep 10, 2015
41 posts
22 upvotes
Montreal, QC
The construction and design industries are largely divided in Canada. There are a few companies that do turnkey projects which have engineers on staff but generally it's not the norm.

Consulting engineering firms are normally also contracted to perform the site supervision.

Can you elaborate a bit more on what you're currently doing? I don't understand what "to have drawing, material/ testing form submission" means.

What level of education do you have? To be an "engineer" in Canada you need to have completed a bachelor's degree in engineering, if you have, you should make sure you can your degree transfered and acknowledged by the professional order of which ever province you plan on moving too. If you don't you won't be able to call yourself and engineer and your title will most likely be Electrical Designer, this would also potentially put a cap on your salary as you won't be able to take responsibility for your work.
Jul 25, 2013
26 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Hate to say this, but this is my humble opinion: university degrees in engineering, especially foreigners are a dime a dozen here, it would be difficult to secure and practice within an engineering role. Even the P.Eng. application will be difficult. I'd consider a skilled trade or go through the college route, WITH a CO-OP program. Experience is absolutely key to break in.
Aug 29, 2017
557 posts
1992 upvotes
EDC819 wrote: Hi all, I'm an overseas Canadian who grown up and lived in Hong Kong for my entire life (23 years).
Recently I'm considering moving back and settle down in Canada after...maybe 5 years.
I'm now working as an electrical engineer assistant in Hong Kong (for contractor with new building projects), probability will have promotion to an electrical engineer after few months.
The problem is : the duty of the job I'm now having in Hong Kong is to have drawing, material/ testing form submission , attend client meeting & to coordinate some site works.
Since the industry in Hong Kong divided jobs of System design to consultants & Site work to contractors separately. Do my job duty looks like a foreman?
Should I gain some design experience by working in consultant before moving back if I want to be a Electrical Engineer in Canada?
As I found all the job duties on Indeed included system design.
Very confusing about the difference of industrial culture.
I'll appreciate a lot if somebody can help.
Wherever you go in the world, engineers are defined and regulated differently. In Canada, each province independently regulates engineers, which means that you have to apply to the specific Province's organization (e.g. PEO for Ontario). That being said, Ontario, BC, and Alberta are quite saturated with professional engineers (domestic and foreign), so you should apply to "less popular" provinces for a better chance. Your education and work experience will be reviewed by the Province's Engineering associations and will let you know what else you need to get a license to practice engineering.

Start here with these regulators by picking your province: https://engineerscanada.ca/regulatory-e ... regulators

Alternatively, you may want to look for similar organizations that regulate technicians and technologist for a faster certification (if you are over qualified). Skilled trade are tricky, in that it is hard to find an apprentice position where they would take you on for multiple years.
“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do."― John Ruskin