• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2021 9:23 am
[OP]
Oct 12, 2014
739 posts
115 upvotes
North York, ON

Engineering Skills

I am mid-career chemical engineer looking to learn some skills. I have strong background in projects and design engineering. Just thinking if I need to make a job change in next 5 years, what are the top skills needed for the future? I learned a bit of SQL in a previous assignment, wondering if I should spend time learning more programming languages and AI related skills? I love learning new things on the side, but I just want make sure I spend my time and effort on something worthwhile.
6 replies
May 29, 2017
268 posts
197 upvotes
Maybe its the way you asked your question. How about saying what field you're interested in going and ask if anyone who works in that sector can give you some pointers.
Jan 12, 2011
268 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto
Cnsr0033 wrote: Maybe its the way you asked your question. How about saying what field you're interested in going and ask if anyone who works in that sector can give you some pointers.
I think it's more the fact that employers usually list these skillsets they want on job postings, so it's quite easily discoverable.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1105 posts
364 upvotes
yellowlight18 wrote: Any help?
You don't mention what field u r in like oil & gas, etc. Either ways if you want to move up the ladder try focusing on getting a PMP or perhaps even a MBA. If you are wanting to broaden your program skills maybe learning Python would be the way to go.