[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa

England Shut Down

for 4 weeks.
Unlike Canada where the Provinces have jurisdiction, the federal government in England shuts things down for the whole country.
"Non-essential shops and hospitality will have to close for four weeks, sources told the BBC."
"The lockdown is also expected to include restrictions on travel"
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54763956
34 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1590 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto
UK isn't federal, there isn't a federal government. There's just the UK government with some local devolved items of government. And this lockdown is just for England not the entirety of the country of the United Kingdom, the devolved governments of NI, Scotland and Wales are handling their own. Note also England itself doesn't have a government, unlike the other constituents which has devolved governments for certain things, it just has the UK government.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1590 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto
RubiconX wrote: C'mon really? Pete clearly said England. He never said The U.K. This shutdown will come soon to Spain and France too, just give it a few days. This disease has just started, in 2-3 years the world will be truly in peril when we have 500 million infected. I don't even know who is travelling to tell you the truth. Who wants to go to Cancun while wearing masks in the beach and not going dancing at night?
Yes he said England, which is fine. However he said the federal government in England. England doesn't have a federal government, in fact technically England doesn't have it's own government at all. But nothing federal about England, the UK or anything like that.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23600 posts
22548 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Semantics ...
As part of the United Kingdom, the basic political system in England is a constitutional monarchy and parliamentary system.[96]
There has not been a government of England since 1707, when the Acts of Union 1707, putting into effect the terms of the Treaty of Union, joined England and Scotland to form the Kingdom of Great Britain.[74]
Before the union England was ruled by its monarch and the Parliament of England.
Today England is governed directly by the Parliament of the United Kingdom, although other countries of the United Kingdom have devolved governments.[97]
So it’s truly not much different from Canada.

It’s a CONSTITUTIONAL MONARCHY ... WITH A PARLIAMENT (which heads up the UK ... to which England is part of )

Period
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1689 posts
711 upvotes
Toronto
About time.. More countries need to do this. I'm envious of some Eastern countries that seem to be pretty much back to normal (or at least not as bad).
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
The Canterbury Tail wrote: UK isn't federal, there isn't a federal government. There's just the UK government with some local devolved items of government. And this lockdown is just for England not the entirety of the country of the United Kingdom, the devolved governments of NI, Scotland and Wales are handling their own. Note also England itself doesn't have a government, unlike the other constituents which has devolved governments for certain things, it just has the UK government.
Really That is what you got?
The point is England is in lockdown ...but for you, it is the use of a word??? :facepalm: :facepalm:
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Nov 1st, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 17, 2017
254 posts
146 upvotes
It's getting to the point where you'll have to change your title from England to Europe. Seeks like most of these countries have imposed some form of "lockdown" with varying degree of restrictions.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
Soty613 wrote: It's getting to the point where you'll have to change your title from England to Europe. Seeks like most of these countries have imposed some form of "lockdown" with varying degree of restrictions.
Yes, many European countries have some form of restrictions but the announcement form the British PM was made yesterday.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
michiebaby wrote: About time.. More countries need to do this. I'm envious of some Eastern countries that seem to be pretty much back to normal (or at least not as bad).
Or not reporting the truth?
Banned
Oct 25, 2020
16 posts
2 upvotes
RubiconX wrote: Let me remind you that the subject here is Covid-19 shutdowns, not government classifications, no need to be nit-picking on unrelated little things. The word "federal" means "national" in all contexts..... means "across the nation" by definition.
i liked his explanation. I didn't know that.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15885 posts
21653 upvotes
Vancouver
PointsHubby wrote: Semantics ...

So it’s truly not much different from Canada.

It’s a CONSTITUTIONAL MONARCHY ... WITH A PARLIAMENT (which heads up the UK ... to which England is part of )

Period
If Ontario had no provincial government and let Ottawa run everything, then the Canadian federal system would be comparable to that of the UK. Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland each have their own legislatures specific to them only; England does not.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7754 posts
6952 upvotes
Well isn't France, Spain, Ireland, Germany also in lockdown? Like a real one with curfews and banning of leisure travel, what you can go out for ?

Hard to keep up with how fast things fell apart in Europe
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7804 posts
1821 upvotes
Scarborough
So wearing all that ppe still brought out a 2nd wave, then a 3rd, 4th.
So those european people were also not following protocols?

Or is this some deliberate plan to kill off more people everywhere?? I dont see any punishment anywhere for all the seniors killed in ltc, while 70+ yr old politicians survive it just fine.......powerful men not dying while helpless seniors die
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8754 posts
4371 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
apnayloags wrote: So wearing all that ppe still brought out a 2nd wave, then a 3rd, 4th.
Had drinks with our neighbours earlier in the weekend. Their daughter wanted to come home (and is on her way from) the Netherlands right now as I am typing. She had her studies interrupted in March due to the lockdown and came home. Went back a few weeks ago to resume studies but everything is online, and what she, as a woman in her young 20s, observed and found unsettling was that hardly anyone was wearing a mask and maintaining social distance over there compared to how it was (and still is) in western Canada. She'd rather be at home with her parents than over there (even though she is a citizen, speaks the language, and still has one set of grandparents).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15885 posts
21653 upvotes
Vancouver
apnayloags wrote: So wearing all that ppe still brought out a 2nd wave, then a 3rd, 4th.
PPE slows the spread. Nobody has claimed it stops it.
Of all the anti-COVID measures that can be taken, PPE is the least effective.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7804 posts
1821 upvotes
Scarborough
So do people in England also get some sort of cerb or crb etc with all these forced shutdowns??
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8754 posts
4371 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
apnayloags wrote: So do people in England also get some sort of cerb or crb etc with all these forced shutdowns??
There is income support, now extended to the self-employed. The bulk of the Conservative government's caucus was (and still are?) against any shut downs on fiscal grounds. The British PM (and his Dr. Strangelove-ish chief advisor) had resisted any further shutdown until very recently (it came as somewhat of a surprise) but he may have been given an ultimatum by his scientific advisers (as in, if you're simply going to ignore science, we're resigning). Remember the British PM was one of the initial and early sceptics, until he was hospitalised with COVID.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... r-lockdown
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
13752 posts
4120 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
apnayloags wrote: So do people in England also get some sort of cerb or crb etc with all these forced shutdowns??
Are you unable to find information yourself?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41487126

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benef ... u-can-get/

https://policyinpractice.co.uk/your-inc ... -covid-19/

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... or-no-work
Global warming will be exceeded during the 21st century unless deep reductions in carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions occur (United Nations IPCC Report 2021)

Every disaster film starts with scientists being ignored
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
13752 posts
4120 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
thriftshopper wrote: The bulk of the Conservative government's caucus was (and still are?) against any shut downs on fiscal grounds. The British PM (and his Dr. Strangelove-ish chief advisor) had resisted any further shutdown until very recently (it came as somewhat of a surprise) but he may have been given an ultimatum by his scientific advisers (as in, if you're simply going to ignore science, we're resigning). Remember the British PM was one of the initial and early sceptics, until he was hospitalised with COVID.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... r-lockdown

The extremes of the wealthy and powerful to keep their economies going is becoming apparent. And I use the term “their economies’ advisedly, considering that their interests, not the interests of the citizenry, benefit most from the current economic systems.
Former Conservative leader Iain Duncan Smith wrote in the UK's Telegraph newspaper that the month-long lockdown showed government was "giving in to the scientific advisers," claiming that government experts had "pressurised" Johnson into the step.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/01/uk/u ... index.html

In the past, the idea that political leaders would consult with experts when making decisions was expected. Now that the advice goes against the wealth and power interests of the wealthy and powerful, they try to demonize knowledge and reason.

Isn’t that how the Dark Ages began?
Global warming will be exceeded during the 21st century unless deep reductions in carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions occur (United Nations IPCC Report 2021)

Every disaster film starts with scientists being ignored
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8754 posts
4371 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
MexiCanuck wrote: The extremes of the wealthy and powerful to keep their economies going is becoming apparent. And I use the term “their economies’ advisedly, considering that their interests, not the interests of the citizenry, benefit most from the current economic systems.
No doubt, in the U.S. too, with the weak and simple-minded manipulated, among other things, into believing its an infringement of their liberties.

In the past, the idea that political leaders would consult with experts when making decisions was expected. Now that the advice goes against the wealth and power interests of the wealthy and powerful, they try to demonize knowledge and reason.

Isn’t that how the Dark Ages began?
Probably but I'd hope for a revolution before then, choice of French or Russian style, personally.