• Sep 12th, 2019 9:59 am
[OP]
Dec 25, 2005
444 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto

English / comprehension books for grade school

Hi,

What books / online resources have you used to help your grade school child with reading comprehension and learning out nouns, verbs, etc?

Thanks
4 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28544 posts
14325 upvotes
Ottawa
The school should already have a literacy program in place.
We're following the school's curriculum and our kid is reading at a grade 2 level, despite only being in SK.
Dec 12, 2005
417 posts
45 upvotes
Richmond
You can try Canadian Curriculum books. You can find them in Chapters/Indigo stores, I think Costco may have it.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2412 posts
671 upvotes
Woodbridge
What age? For young children, I'm not sure anything beats just reading to and reading with your child. Your child's school should be sending books home of the appropriate level (likely PM Benchmarks). Keep in mind that comprehension is important. I've often had parents say that their child can read at "x" level when what they really mean is that their child can decode words at that level. Understanding what's happening is a lot different. Children should be able to generate meaningful questions about the text, make connections to other texts and their own experiences, summarize and/or retell the main events of a story, make inferences about what's happening, and make predictions about will happen next. Simply reading the words without demonstrating any of these skills is not reading. This has been the source of several disagreements where parents feel their child is at a higher level than the teacher says they're at.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50067 posts
15034 upvotes
I've been assigned this task too by my boss.

Current teaching our five y.o. how to write letters one at a time and just focusing on the letter sounds. I'm just focusing on the short vowel sounds so as not to overwhelm her. I think by the time I introduce diphthongs/blends, the long vowel sounds will nature come in.

Because we are currently stuck at "i" for now, I have even used "fac" as a word.

We have a few iOS apps like Hooked on Phonics but I think it's too early.

Just started the regimen last night because of procrastination lol. Definitely need some suggestions and advice.
So many haters and naysayers here. It's almost as if the EV fans are not really EV fans for the sake of saving the planet, but rather just Tesla fans - Ted Schmitt (insideevs)