• Sep 27th, 2019 3:35 pm
[OP]
Dec 25, 2005
462 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto

English / comprehension books for grade school

Hi,

What books / online resources have you used to help your grade school child with reading comprehension and learning out nouns, verbs, etc?

Thanks
8 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30379 posts
16208 upvotes
Ottawa
The school should already have a literacy program in place.
We're following the school's curriculum and our kid is reading at a grade 2 level, despite only being in SK.
Dec 12, 2005
446 posts
58 upvotes
Richmond
You can try Canadian Curriculum books. You can find them in Chapters/Indigo stores, I think Costco may have it.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2663 posts
783 upvotes
Woodbridge
What age? For young children, I'm not sure anything beats just reading to and reading with your child. Your child's school should be sending books home of the appropriate level (likely PM Benchmarks). Keep in mind that comprehension is important. I've often had parents say that their child can read at "x" level when what they really mean is that their child can decode words at that level. Understanding what's happening is a lot different. Children should be able to generate meaningful questions about the text, make connections to other texts and their own experiences, summarize and/or retell the main events of a story, make inferences about what's happening, and make predictions about will happen next. Simply reading the words without demonstrating any of these skills is not reading. This has been the source of several disagreements where parents feel their child is at a higher level than the teacher says they're at.
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
51723 posts
16226 upvotes
I've been assigned this task too by my boss.

Current teaching our five y.o. how to write letters one at a time and just focusing on the letter sounds. I'm just focusing on the short vowel sounds so as not to overwhelm her. I think by the time I introduce diphthongs/blends, the long vowel sounds will nature come in.

Because we are currently stuck at "i" for now, I have even used "fac" as a word.

We have a few iOS apps like Hooked on Phonics but I think it's too early.

Just started the regimen last night because of procrastination lol. Definitely need some suggestions and advice.
Feb 13, 2017
152 posts
63 upvotes
Really struggling with this and don’t know where to start. I have a 6 year old.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8369 posts
1072 upvotes
We are using this book.

https://www.amazon.ca/Teach-Your-Child- ... way&sr=8-1

It was recommended to us by a friend who home schools and has had good success. We are 75% of the way through and have had good success. The first 50 lessons felt like we were getting nowhere but it's all coming together very quickly now.

Note: this book uses a unique method of teaching and requires additional effort on the part of the parent/teacher. You first have to teach yourself all the symbols, pronunciation methods, etc. Then you have to follow each 20-30 minute lesson plan literally word for word. There are reading, writing, and comprehension portions. It's a significant investment in time (~50hrs) and effort but from what I've seen, the results are noticeable compared to traditional teaching to read/write techniques.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1778 posts
200 upvotes
Mississauga
Stock R wrote: We are using this book.

https://www.amazon.ca/Teach-Your-Child- ... way&sr=8-1

It was recommended to us by a friend who home schools and has had good success. We are 75% of the way through and have had good success. The first 50 lessons felt like we were getting nowhere but it's all coming together very quickly now.

10000000% agree - it's a great book. My husband taught reading recovery in elementary schools and uses it.

We used this book as well when my older one was in JK and it worked really well. Totally planning on using it with my 3 year old in JK.
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
51723 posts
16226 upvotes
Some amazon reviewers swear by LeapFrog's Letter Factory.

So far, my toddler has gotten to K now but still gets confused with b and d when I have been already drawing around the letter.

Going to be patient and will definitely get her to like reading and writing but she needs to learn at least the short vowel and hard consonant sounds lol or we are going nowhere.