• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2019 6:44 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9142 posts
4677 upvotes
Paris
TrevorK wrote: I can see that - I find some conflicting info in there and I don't like his statements like pressure treated wood will never rot (if it didn't rot we would not need to replace our decks). Generally I like to take a couple sources and figure out what's agreed and disagreed - his PDF gives a good starting point for searching. He just has a nice pretty table for deck spans that doesn't try to diagnose your type of lumber to determine it.

The Wood Council one is really good. That's the one I followed for my deck build. I didn't have to get permits because of how low it was to the ground so didn't bother looking up if there was any code or anything - but their instructions seemed to provide the groundwork for a solid deck and, reputation wise, I was satisfied with them. I have it bookmarked because I think it's pretty solid info.
When I did mine in 2008 either Barrie or Milton had some amazing info on their municipal sites with basically a step by step for idiots. I went looking again this summer for a friend and couldn’t find it. I did have the archive though.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16594 posts
6766 upvotes
Jerico wrote: When I did mine in 2008 either Barrie or Milton had some amazing info on their municipal sites with basically a step by step for idiots. I went looking again this summer for a friend and couldn’t find it. I did have the archive though.
I'm sure if you posted it here a lot of people could benefit!